Histories - Creating
There are multiple ways to create Histories using the TNG Histories Media Collection:
- As Body Text in the Histories media collection
- As a file using the historytemplate.php
- As a link to an external web site
- As a Folio
As Body Text
You can use the Body Text in TNG Media record to create a Histories page.
|TNG version:||≤ 9.2.2|
|TNG version:||≥ 10.0|
You simply enter your text in the Body Text input area.
Using the NicEditor you can also add HTML tags to format the content.
HTML or Word Content
If you have HTML files, you could copy the contents between the <body> and </body> statement in your HTML file and paste it in the Body Text area of the Media record.
Likewise you can paste the contents of a Word document as illustrated by Bryan Larson. You can:
Here again, you would need to provide your own thumbnail or use the TNG default.
Some examples are
- The page generated from the rich text format entered above provided by Bryan Larson
Adding Images to Body Text
For pictures, a little HTML is required. I still think it is easiest for a novice to do the formatting in a Rich Text editor such as Word. A placeholder is set for images, but the images do not transfer over. What needs to be done at this point is to upload a copy of any images embedded within a Word document to the server, then point the html to that file on the server. So, by clicking on the HTML box, all of the HTML will be available to view - and there will be a lot of it. To fix the broken images, look for something that looks a bit like this:
Please note that this is only an example and yours will look a little different. The key thing to look for is the part that starts with <img src="
If I upload the image to a directory I call "historyimages", I will change the above line to this:
...where "MYSITE.com" is changed to your own site URL and the image name matches your own image name.
Note that the image URL can also be specified as a link that is relative to your site TNG folder as shown below.
One way to handle this if there are many images is to copy all of the HTML into a text editor, then do a quick search/replace of the image path (all but the filename), then paste the new HTML back into the HTML box in the NicEditor.
Using Images with Body Text
|TNG version:||≥ 10.0|
Starting with TNG V10, you can use both an image and Body Text with any media collection.
As a File
TNG provides a historytemplate.php that can be used to create other php files that will format the same way your selected TNG template does. See User Pages - Getting Started for additional information on using the historytemplate.php.
You could then add your php file to TNG using the Admin >> Media - Add New
| This is an example of how to use the TNG >> Media >> Add New >> Histories as a file
as shown in Antoine Roy on my web site.
As External Web Link
You can also use a TNG Media collection to link to an external web site.
When creating a Histories as an External Web Link, you need to
The example of an externally linked histories Francoise Langlois (1599-1629)
As a Folio
See the Folios article on how it provides a method for displaying and navigating multiple page files as a single document
- Media - Collections
- External Link Collection
- Media - Add New - Collection
- Media - Add New - Collection (Military Ribbons example)
- Getting Media into TNG - A summary of the various techniques.
- Add New Media - Linked to Person or Family - For Editors as well as Administrators
- Media - Add New - Import one multimedia file into TNG. Then link its new Media record to other objects.
- Histories - Creating - Create a new TNG Media record without importing a multimedia file into TNG.
- Media - Import - Import files that are already on the server, but not already defined as Media records.
- Media - Upload - Upload several media files, import them into TNG, and link them (individually or collectively) to other objects.
- Import Media Using GEDCOM - Upload new media files that are referenced inside of a uploaded GEDCOM file.
Other Useful Articles
- Batch updates of IPTC tags using IrfanView
- Folios on how to handle multi-page documents as if it were a single TNG media object
- Folios - Examples
- Media Functions on how to hook videos into TNG
- Preserving Digital Photos