Admin Places Search
|Admin Places Search|
|Summary||Adds search options and results details to the Admin>>Places>>Search program|
|Mod Updated||5 Nov 2020|
|Homepage||Robin Richmond's Genealogy Database|
|Mod Support||My Mod Support form or TNG Community Forums|
|Contact Developer||My Mod Support form|
|Min TNG V||11.0|
|Max TNG V||13.0.4|
admin_places.php, admin_genconfig.php, admin_updateconfig.php, English places_help.php
Purpose of the Mod
Adds features to the Admin >> Places >> Search form and results list as follows:
- In the search form
- Draws a fieldset border around the search form to help distinguish it from the action/pagination form.
- Changes and adds some Search options:
- Adds a '+' button to expand the Search field
- Allows the Regular Expression anchor characters ^ and $ to be placed at the beginning and/or the end of the search string. (See the visualizations for a specific example.)
- Adds a Placeholder text message in the Search field to note that the anchor characters can be used there.
- Adds an information icon next to the Search field that pops up help text describing the changes to the Search field
- Changes the "Has Geocodes" option to radio buttons for "Geocodes: yes/no/either"
- Adds radio buttons for "Place Level: yes/no/either"
- Adds checkbox options to require a cemetery link or notes.
- Adds some Display options:
- "Results Per Page", which overrides the system value ($maxsearchresults), but defaults to it.
- "Show Place Notes", which are displayed in a new column.
- "Show Cemetery Links", which are displayed as hyperlinks in a new column. When the Cemetery Links column is displayed, a table footnote describes that column.
- In TNGv13, "Show Modification Date". That is, the sortable modification date column added by TNG is not displayed by default.
- Displays the search parameters just above the results table.
- In the results table:
- Rounds longitude and latitude values to the number of decimal digits supplied by a mod option defined by the optional Admin Places Geocode mod.
- In the Placelevel column, optionally displays descriptive names such as "Location" and "City/Town". Handles mods that add placelevels.
- Omits the Tree column if a tree was selected
The mod option is defined and edited in a Mod Settings Block in the form at Admin>>Setup>>General Settings, in the new subform Mod Settings (or Robin's Mods in TNGv12). The mod has three options. Each of them has the ability to turn off one or more features of the mod and simplify the search form.
- Display Placelevel names as well as numbers: This option works even if most that increase the number of placelevels have been installed.
- Show Cemetery Options: Two of the new options on the search form are optional themselves. Both are checkboxes:
- The search option "Has a cemetery link" and
- The display option "Show cemetery links".
- Show the "Has Notes" option. This option does affects just the search option. It does not affect the "Show notes" option.
This mod is compatible with Admin Places Geocode, Places Subject to Deletion, and two mods, Google Maps - More Place Levels Mod and Google maps 15 that add Placelevel definitions. It is not compatible with Tree ID Mod, but is compatible with TreeID-One Column, which accomplishes the same purpose as Tree ID Mod. TreeID-One Column just uses one column instead of two to display the Tree ID and Tree Name, and avoids a couple of mod conflicts.
- The Mod Settings Blocks mod packages this mod's options into what I call a "Mod Settings Block", which is a set of form fields that formatted and labeled so that it stands out among other options in an Admin>>Setting form. The Mod Settings Blocks is a prerequisite for this mod; it must be installed before this mod can be installed.
- The optional mod Inner Mod Menus displays an "Inner Mod Menu" in the TNG "inner menu" (just below the tab menu). The Inner Mod Menu that is defined by this mod is visible only if Inner Mod Menus mod is installed. Inner Mod Menus are visible only to TNG administrators; never to end-users. I highly recommend that you install the Inner Mod Menus mod because Inner Mod Menus provide links to handy information - particularly to the mod settings blocks for this mod's options.
- The Field Buttons mod activates little one-letter buttons that are attached to specific fields in the modified search form. These "Field Buttons" provide single-click execution of field editing tasks such as clearing the field, returning to the value the field had when the program was loaded, and selecting a default value. Field Buttons is not required; if it is not installed, the field buttons simply do no appear on the web page.
- This mod gathers data that can be used by the optional mod Show Mod Names, but there is no dependency on Show Mod Names
- The optional Admin Places Geocode mod defines a mod option that controls the number of decimal digits in Latitude and Longitude values. If that option has been defined, then this mod rounds the Latitude and Longitude as they are read from the database, and as they are written to the database.
In TNGv13, this mod includes a typical mod subfolder, with the same base name as the mod's .cfg file. The subfolder is atypical in that no files in it are installed to working TNG folders. However, it does contain critical files that contain the mod's language strings, which the mod does not add to standard cust_text.php files. Instead, the PHP code modified by this mod loads the language strings from files in the mod's languages/ subfolder. Read more about this technique.
[Show Installation Details]
- A working TNG installation.
- An installed current version of the Mod Manager.
- You should backup files listed in the panel on the right.
- Remove and delete previous version of this mod.
- Backup the files updated by this mod. They are listed in the panel at the upper right.
- Download the .zip file, Extract its .cfg file to the mods folder.
- Follow the normal automated installation for Mod Manager, as shown in the example Mod Manager - Installing Config Files.
(These visualizations are not perfectly up-to-date, but they are close.) from mod version 3a, but most of them also apply well to mod version 4. See update notes in the Revision History section of this article.)
|BEFORE: The Pristine Admin >> Places screen, with the system variable $maxresults (Results per page) set to 30.|
|AFTER: Search results without a search string, highlighting some of the new features|
|AFTER: Results for the search string "cemetery", with the "Show notes" and "Show Cemetery Links" options selected.|
|AFTER: When the "Missing Latitude or Longitude" option is selected.|
|AFTER: The help text added by this mod|
|AFTER: Field Buttons|
Field buttons are described further in the Field Button mod article. The Field Buttons mod is necessary to make the field buttons visible.
|Mod Version||TNG Versions||Date||Note|
v6a 18 Oct 2020
|188.8.131.52 (beta)||12.0+||18Aug2019||No significant changes to the search and display functionality.
|184.108.40.206a||12.0+||14Nov2018||No functional changes; made compatible with TNGv12.|
|220.127.116.11a||11.0+||28Dec2017||Visibly, added "field buttons". Technical changes include
|18.104.22.168a||11.0+||30May2017||Added the Insert Links function to the Place Notes so that URLs and and FindAGrave ID's are displayed as hyperlinks. First non-beta version|
|22.214.171.124||11.0+||26May2017||Now compatible with Google Maps - More Place Levels Mod and Google maps 15. Also added the two mod parameters.|
Sites using this mod
If you download and install this mod, please add your site to the table below.
|Robin Richmond's Genealogy Database||Robin Richmond||Mod developer||126.96.36.199c||13.0.4||English|
|Our Roy and Boucher Family||Ken Roy||Modified to display correct Place Level description to support Google Maps - More Place Levels Mod and Google maps 15.||188.8.131.52||11.1.1||English, French|
|The Cole / Tanner Family Tree||David Cole||Public/Private||see here||see here||EN, DE, FR, ES, NL|
|Hooley Family Links||Rick Hooley||Public/Private||See Here||See Here||EN|