Admin Media Thumbnails
|Admin Media Thumbnails|
|Summary||Allows users to control which mediatypes and tree to process, can create thumbnails for larger image files, and can delete thumbnails.|
|Mod Updated||3 Dec 2020|
|Download link||Admin Media Thumbnails v220.127.116.11a
Admin Thumbnails v18.104.22.168a
See the Revision History for older versions
|Mod Support||My Mod Support form or TNG Community Forums|
|Contact Developer||My Mod Support form|
|Min TNG V||10.1|
|Max TNG V||13.0.1|
admin_generatethumbs.php, admin_thumbnails.php, English cust_text.php
Purpose of the Mod
To make the the generation of thumbnails quicker, and to be able to focus on specific trees and mediatypes. Secondarily, to delete thumbnails.
- A mod option lets you increase the file size limit (which is normally 1MB), since most servers seem able to process files of 2MB or more.
- In the kickoff form, you can specify
- Which tree to process (or all tress, as the native program always does)
- Which Mediatypes to process.
- A limit on the number of thumbnails to process.
- Whether to create or delete thumbnails.
- When you create thumbnails, the two native options can be specified.
- When you delete thumbnails, you can also specify whether to clear the thumbnail path field.
- To summarize the results of the generation of thumbnails, the thumbnail process:
- Generates a list of thumbnails that are generated, and hides it behind a "Show then" button.
- Displays a list of files that could be process and a "Hide them" button.
- The mod now has an Inner Mod Menu, which provides handy access to the mod options as well as information about what the mod has changed.
Some Details: The deletion operation does not delete thumbnails that are obviously not created directly from the media item, but it cannot always tell whether a thumbnail image was uploaded explicitly rather than created from the source media item. It will ignore
- Thumbnails associated with external media items
- Thumbnails at a different location from the default thumbnail location for the image. That is, it computes the expected thumbnail path, and will not delete thumbnails whose path is different from the expected path.
A technical note: This mod turns admin_generatethumbs.php into an Include file that is included directly in admin_thumbnails.php, which, in the native code, runs admin_generatethumbs.php through AJAX. Using AJAX causes some errors to be hidden and makes it impractical to interrupt a long-running operations.
In TNGv13, this mod's option is defined in a Mod Settings Block at Admin>>Setup>>General Settings, in a subform named "Mod Settings Blocks".
- Skip files larger than this size, in KB. The default is the native 1000KB.
- PHP crashes badly if it runs out of memory when trying to create a thumbnail, so the program does not try to process image files larger than a specified size, which is hard-coded as 1MB in the native code. I have found that I can generally get by with 2.5MB (2500KB) on my servers, but that's no guarantee that you will be able to do so.
This mod is compatible with Unused Media, the only other published mod that affects the programs that are edited by this mod.
- The Mod Settings Blocks mod packages this mod's options into what I call a "Mod Settings Block", which is a set of form fields that formatted and labeled so that it stands out among other options in an Admin>>Setting form. The Mod Settings Blocks is a prerequisite for this mod; it must be installed before this mod can be installed.
- The optional mod Inner Mod Menus displays an "Inner Mod Menu" in the TNG "inner menu" (just below the tab menu). The Inner Mod Menu that is defined by this mod is visible only if Inner Mod Menus mod is installed. Inner Mod Menus are visible only to TNG administrators; never to end-users. I highly recommend that you install the Inner Mod Menus mod because Inner Mod Menus provide links to handy information - particularly to the mod settings blocks for this mod's options.
- The Field Buttons mod activates little one-letter buttons that are attached to specific fields in the modified search form. These "Field Buttons" provide single-click execution of field editing tasks such as clearing the field, returning to the value the field had when the program was loaded, and selecting a default value. Field Buttons is not required; if it is not installed, the field buttons simply do no appear on the web page.
- This mod gathers data that can be used by the optional mod Show Mod Names, but there is no dependency on Show Mod Names
In TNGv13, this mod includes a typical mod subfolder, with the same base name as the mod's .cfg file. The subfolder is atypical in that no files in it are installed to working TNG folders. However, it does contain critical files that contain the mod's language strings, which the mod does not add to standard cust_text.php files. Instead, the PHP code modified by this mod loads the language strings from files in the mod's languages/ subfolder. Read more about this technique.
[Show Installation Details]
- A working TNG installation.
- An installed current version of the Mod Manager.
- You should backup files listed in the panel on the right.
- Remove and delete previous version of this mod.
- Backup the files updated by this mod. They are listed in the panel at the upper right.
- Download the .zip file, Extract its .cfg file to the mods folder.
- Follow the normal automated installation for Mod Manager, as shown in the example Mod Manager - Installing Config Files.
|The Inner Mod Menu
The Inner Mod provides links to
|The Mod Settings Block
A Mod Settings Block is an outlined subform within an Admin>>Setup program that contains the options for a single mod. What is most notable about a Mod Settings Block is that a hyperlink directly to a Mod Settings Block displays only that block (i.e. only one mod's options), not all of the other options in the form or subform.
Here, you see the this mod's Mod Settings Block, in admin_genconfig.php, at Admin>>Setup>>General Configuration. The triangular arrow next to the subfolder heading Mod Settings Blocks is pointing to the right, meaning that the subform is not open, and that your site's other mod settings blocks are not visible. If you were to open the subform by clicking on the heading, you would see the mod settings blocks for other mods that you have installed.
|Mod Version||TNG Versions||Date||Note|
|Admin Media Thumbnails 22.214.171.124a||13.0-13.0.1||03Dec2020||Handled a change in the TNG "Patch for v13.0.1". The mod covers TNGv13.0 and TNGv13.0.1 with and without the patch, and is projected to cover TNGv13.0.2.|
|Admin Media Thumbnails 126.96.36.199||13||11Nov2020||
|Admin Thumbnails v188.8.131.52a||12.0-13.0.1||16Oct2018||No functional changes; fixed a couple of bugs, and upgraded to TNGv12.
This version also works in TNGv13
|10.1.0.3p||10.1.0 - 11.0||14May2016||
|10.1.0.2||10.1.0 - 10.1.1||19Apr2015||Initial release|
Sites using this mod
If you download and install this mod, please add your site to the table below.
|Robin Richmond's Genealogy Database||Robin Richmond||Admin page; not accessible||English|
|Wortelboer Genealogy||Bernard Wortelboer||Admin page; not accessible||10.1.0.3/11.0.1||NL,EN|
|Eskeland and Haugland Family||User:helland71||Admin page; not accessible||184.108.40.206/12.0.2||NO, EN|
|Hooley Family Links||Rick Hooley||Public/Private||See Here||EN|
|Généalogie Malvache||Cédric Malvache||Public/Private||220.127.116.11a/12.0.3||FR|
|Stammbaum der Familien Klein,Landgraf,Eckarts||Michael Klein||Public/Private||18.104.22.168a/13.0.2||DE, EN|
|The Cole / Tanner Family Tree||David Cole||Public/Private||see here||EN, DE, FR, ES, NL|
|Genealogie Bastiaanssen||Jan Bastiaanssen||Public/Private||22.214.171.124a||NL, EN, ES, PT|