|Downloads of Balanced Media are restricted to logged in users. If you do not have a user account on the TNG Wiki use the Request Account link to request a user account|
|If you are having trouble downloading with the Google Chrome browser, try another browser|
|Summary||Balance both sides of the Media view of the Ancestors tab|
|Validation||The mod is XHTML compliant.|
|Mod Updated||7 Jul 2021|
|Download stats||Currnet download statistics|
Previous download statistics
|Author(s)||Bart 'Roebie' Degryse|
|Mod Support||TNG Community Forums|
|Latest Mod||184.108.40.206a for TNG v13+|
220.127.116.11 for TNG v12+
18.104.22.168 for TNG v11+
10.1.0.2 for TNG v10.1+
22.214.171.124 for TNG v9.0.0 - v9.0.2
126.96.36.199 for TNG v9.0.3
|Min TNG V||9.0.0|
|Max TNG V||13+|
Purpose of the mod
This mod will add placeholders for the missing people in the Media view of the Ancestors tab balancing both sides. Additionally it will add ancestor chart numbering just as on the Ahnentafel view and the Text view.
This mod was developed by Bart 'Roebie' Degryse
Idea and initial proof of concept by Doug Couch
Updated for TNG 10.1 and TNG V11 by Ken Roy
- A working TNG installation.
- A backup of all affected files (see the list in the summary in the upper right corner of the page)
- An installed current version of the Mod Manager (is already included in TNG v9)
- Download the appropriate zip file as shown in the summary in the upper right corner of the page. NOTE that I host these zip files on my own server. That way I can count the number of downloads for each mod I made and estimate the relevance of such mod.
- Extract the config file from the downloaded zip file into the mods folder.
- Follow the normal automated installation for Mod Manager, as shown in the example Mod Manager - Installing Config Files to install the mod.
All versions of this mod do two things:
- Add placeholders for the missing people in the Media view of the Ancestors tab. The result is that both sides get balanced.
- Add ancestor chart numbering. These numbers are already on the Ahnentafel view and the Text view and this mod adds them to the Media view too.
The 188.8.131.52 version of this mod also
- fixes one of the inconsistencies regarding how living, private and LDS information are handled that were fixed in TNG v9.0.3 (see issue 20 in the v9.0.3 change history)
What this mod does NOT do is
- styling the new balanced Media view (see the next paragraph for more)
Styling the balanced Media view
The main thing to keep in mind is that this mod only structures the data in a table. It does nothing to style the display. At least nothing more than the default extrastree.php does. The classes that were in the default are still available after installing this mod. I have however added a whole bunch of classes (+ an id for the table itself), so it should be possible to style whatever part of the table to your liking by adding some css to the mytngstyle.css file of your template.
Here's a list of all classes I've added:
- bmm_table: this is not a class but an id for the table.
- bmm_left: the left part of the table, eg De Wilde side in my screenshots (columns 1 and 2)
- bmm_right: obvious
- bmm_number: the columns with the "ancestor chart number" (columns 1 and 3)
- bmm_name: the columns with the names of the ancestors (columns 2 and 4)
- bmm_title: the row with "Media: Family of..."
- bmm_legend: the row with the camera image and the text "At least one photo, history or other media item exists for this individual"
- bmm_side: the row with the text "De Wilde side" and "Degryse side" in my screenshots
- bmm_genheader: each row with a generation name (parents, grandparents, ...)
- bmm_gendata: each row with two ancestor chart numbers and two ancestor names on it ("2. De Wilde, Geert and 3. Degryse, Tina")
- bmm_lastrow: the last bmm_gendata row within each generation also gets this class
Note that some cells in the table thus have two classes: eg. each ancestor chart number cell has the class bmm_number but also bmm_left or bmm_right. The same goes for the cells with ancestor names in it.
There are also some structural elements available:
- colgroup + col: the table structure is predefined with the colgroup and col html tags. The first colgroup also has class bmm_left, the second bmm_right, the first col in each colgroup also has class bmm_number, the second bmm_name.
- thead: the first three rows in the table (the ones with classes bmm_title, bmm_legend and bmm_side) are grouped in the thead html tag.
- tbody: each generation (that is one row with class bmm_genheader and one or more rows with bmm_gendata) is grouped in the tbody html tag (eg 1 bmm_genheader row + 4 bmm_gendata rows for great grandparents)
Visualization of this mod
The following images show the visual effects of installing the mod and shows some examples of styling for this mod. The examples have only been tested with template 3, but should work with other templates without much changing. Especially the colors would need changing!
In the event of a problem
- Copy the backup of the affected files back to your TNG directory
|v184.108.40.206a||width="15%" 7 Jul 2021||Updated by Ken Roy and Brent Hemphill to fix CSS definitions|
|v220.127.116.11||5 Sep 2020||Updated by Ken Roy and Ron Krzmarzick for TNG 13.|
|v18.104.22.168||26 Jul 2019||Updated by Ken Roy and Michel Kirsch to eliminate the conflict with Michel's Sosa mod. Some of the table ID style was also moved to genstyle.css to facilitate incorporating into TNG.|
|v22.214.171.124||7 March 2016||Updated by Ken Roy for TNG 11|
|v10.1.0.2||10 January 2014||Updated by Ken Roy for TNG 10.1 MySQLi changes and new Mod Manager Syntax rules|
|v126.96.36.199||2 July 2012||PHP short tags replaces by full tags|
|v188.8.131.52||29 June 2012||Initial config file release for TNG v9.0.3|
|v184.108.40.206||29 June 2012||Initial config file release for TNG v9.0.0 upto v9.0.2|
|v220.127.116.11||2 July 2012||PHP short tags replaces by full tags|
Sites using this mod
If you download and install this mod, please add your TNG site to the table below:
|no public site||Bart 'Roebie' Degryse||Mod developer||V18.104.22.168||TNG 9.0.3||NL/EN/ES/FR|
|Roger's Ramblings||Roger Moffat||Changed css for my colours and centred the table on the page||V10.1.0.2||TNG 10.1.0||EN|
|Our Acadian, French-Canadian, and Maine Ancestors||Ken Roy||Now support the mod developed by Bart 'Roebie' Degryse||22.214.171.124a||13.0.4||EN/FR|
|R G Strong Family Genealogy||Russell G. Strong||V126.96.36.199||V9.0.4||EN/DE/FR/NL|
|Mitchell Families Online||Roger Mitchell||Formatted to suit my site||V188.8.131.52||V10.0.0.0||EN|
|Roots & Relatives Remembered||Ron Krzmarzick||Public & Private, modified||See Here||See Here||EN,DE,CS|
|R G Strong Family Genealogy||Russell Strong||Public Site||184.108.40.206||12.0.1||EN, FR, DE, NL|
|Avery Genealogy||Jim Kratoville||220.127.116.11||11.0.2||EN|
|OurLife Family History - McMullen Clan||Sean Thompson||Not a public site.||18.104.22.168||11.1.0||English|
|The Larlee Genealogy||Heather Feuerhelm||22.214.171.124||11.1.0||English|
|Bumbery-Wangler||Bob Bumbery||Public/Private site||126.96.36.199||13.0.0||English|
|Racine d'Alsace||J-Louis Valory||Public/Private - T17 customized||188.8.131.52||12.0.2||FR|
|Our Family Histories||Bryan S. Larson||Public - T8 customized||see here||see here||EN|
|Racines Luxo-hennuyères||Michel Kirsch||Public site (registration)||V184.108.40.206||TNG 13.0.3||FR/EN/GE/NL|