|Summary||Display multiple connection paths between any people in the database.|
|Mod Updated||15 June 2021|
|Download link||Connections v18.104.22.168.zip
|Mod Support||Topic on the TNG Community Forum|
|Contact Developer||As above, or my TNG User Page|
|Min TNG V||13.0|
|Max TNG V||13.0.4|
Purpose of the mod
This mod complements TNG with the function of finding and presenting multiple connection paths between any two selected persons, including non-relatives.
The mod inserts a new Connections tab on the Person page. It contains a form similar to that already used for checking kinship (i.e., the Relationship tab). You can select how many paths you want to be searched; the default parameters should be satisfactory, but if you want to search for more paths you can increase the values at the cost of search time (e.g., changing the Max number of paths to be checked value from 99 to 999 can increase the search time up to several seconds in a 30k people database), On the other hand, if this parameter is set to 1 only the shortest path (if exists) will be displayed.
The way found paths are presented is different (more compact) than in other TNG diagrams. This allows you to view even complex connection paths without having to use scrollbars.
Visualization of this mod
Please note how unexpectedly many paths exist between those closely related people!
Note also that the second path (displayed after the shortest one) is the path No.4, and not the No.2. This is because we have requested that the results have been sorted by the number of marriages in every path, and thus the path passing through blood-relatives only (i.e., 0 marriages) overtook the shorter paths passing one marriage.
This mod was developed by Michał Jarociński.
This is my first mod, as I started programming just at the beginning of 2020.
My big thanks and appreciation to Ron Krzmarzick for spending time on early awkward versions, and to Ken Roy and Roger Moffat for testing the mod, and for many valuable tips. To Michel Kirsch for several of his coding tricks I used. Also thanks to helpful testers, debaters and patient translators: Michel, Brett, Ton, Ton (second one :)), Jürgen, Kare, ... (the order of these names is random!).
- Maternal And Paternal Lines mod is also modfying img/tng_small_icon_sprites.gif file. As the way to use of TNG sprites is quite tricky (and their appearance is not overwhelming ;), it is better to not override the file and live with the Connections tab sprite different than intended by me.
- A working TNG v13 installation.
- A backup of all affected files (see the list below) - just to be safe.
- Click on the download link, shown in the summary in the upper right corner of the page.
- Un-zip the file.
- Move/copy/FTP the .cfg file and the Connections folder to the mods folder of your TNG system.
- Follow the normal automated installation for Mod Manager, as shown in the example Mod Manager - Installing Config Files to install the mod.
- You can then copy "by hand" the file tng_small_icon_sprites.gif from the mod directory into the main TNG img folder to overwrite the original file. (if you skip this step you will see the default "sprite" before the tab title, which is not a great loss...).
- Clear your browser cache! The mod adds lines to genstyle.css so it has to be re-loaded for the styles to take effect. Instructions for how to are found here (note: not needeed for latest mod version).
In the event of a problem
- Try using the Mod Manager Remove capability
- Replace all affected files with the copies you made before the installation. You can leave the changed tng_small_icon_sprites.gif.
- TNG Community Forums: TNG Specific - Code Discussion - Addons
Uninstalling the mod
Click the Uninstall button.
If you want to completely Remove this mod and all its files, you should also
- click the Delete button to delete the config file from the mods folder
- Remove "by hand" the mod folder ('connections' folder under the TNG mods folder) and all files inside it
|v22.214.171.124||15 Jun 2021||Wide diagrams x-draggable also in touch-screen devices (whole page remains y-scrollable). Separated stylesheet; styles are no more included to genstyle.css, but still can be overridden by mytngstyle.css. New buttons "Use my ID" and "Use bookmarks" to set Person2. Mod parameter for anchor setting (used when no Person2 selected yet; eventually the user ID will be used).|
|v126.96.36.199f||17 Apr 2021||Corrected path filtering function; added option and mod parameter for displaying paths in compact mode; added mod option of disabling calculations for non-logged users; added Start/End Person marks on diagrams; Czech translation added thanks to Ron Krzmarzick; multiple minor changes (for a more complete changelog see the cfg file).|
|v188.8.131.52a||26 Feb 2021||Wordpress compatibility improved (PHP warnings, gender icons, summary message); mod parameter for displaying gender icons in boxes; legend for bullets; form options saved for the session time; translation corrections; editorial improvements.|
|v184.108.40.206||22 Feb 2021||Added thumbnail display option, and mod parameter for it. Gender icon (sign) displays after fullname. Whole person box is clickable.|
|v220.127.116.11a||19 Feb 2021||Dutch translation added thanks to Tom Huygens. Mod parameter added for sorting (+'none' 3rd option). Bullets preceding every Name in person boxes now are taken from language files. Box shadows added.|
|v18.104.22.168||16 Feb 2021||French and German translations added thanks to Michel Kirch and Jürgen. CSS definition moved to genstyle.css to allow overriding by mytngstyle.css as advised by Ken Roy|
|v22.214.171.124a||15 Feb 2021||Small visible changes. Massive file renaming to follow the Mod Guidelines.|
||14 Feb 2021||Added mod parameters. Compatibility with PHP 5.6, tng-wordpress-plugin, Fixed Family Tab. Norwegian translation thanks to Kare.|
||10 Feb 2021||First public version|
Sites using this mod
If you download and install this mod, please add your TNG site to the table below:
|Jarocinski Family Database||Michał Jarociński
I'll create an account on request.
|126.96.36.199||13.0.4||PL / EN|
|Family tree of Marcin & Emilia Senderski||Marcin Senderski||Only home page is public||188.8.131.52||13.0.4||PL, EN|
|Roger's Connections to his great great grandfather||Roger Moffat||Public site - Living Hidden
GREAT Mod!!! A Private Mod is changing the colours, font and indicators
|Roots & Relatives Remembered||Ron Krzmarzick||Public & Private, Powerful, Speedy Mod!||See Here||See Here||EN|
|Hooley Family Links||Rick Hooley||Public/Private, excellent Mod||See Here||See Here||EN|
|Our Roy and Boucher Family||Ken Roy||Private mod changes colors and restricts Connectiongs to logged in users
Great mod for showing connections
|Scealta||Ton van Lil||Public/Private||184.108.40.206||13.0.3||NE, EN|
|Zerweck family||Günter Zerweck||Public - living hidden / Private||13.03.4a||13.0||DE, EN|
|Our Roots&Relatives||Kåre Kjøllesdal||Private site||220.127.116.11||13.0.4||NO, EN|
|Racines Luxo-hennuyères||Michel Kirsch||Public site (registration)||V18.104.22.168j||TNG 13.0.3||FR/EN/GE/NL|
|Racine d'Alsace||J-Louis Valory||Public (registration)||22.214.171.124d||13.0.3||FR|
|South Brazilian Family Trees||Carlos Heuser
||Public site - Living hidden||126.96.36.199||13.0.4||PT-Br / EN / DE|
|Vitter-Weaver Genealogy||Jeffrey Vitter||Public site||188.8.131.52f||13.0.3||EN, FR, CH, DE, ES, IT, NO|
|The Zausmer Forest||Joyaa Antares||Private site||184.108.40.206||13.0.3||EN, FR|
|Genealogie Bastiaanssen||Jan Bastiaanssen||Public / private (registration)||V220.127.116.11||TNG 13.0.4||EN, NL, SP, PT|
|Genealogie Assent-Metternich||Rainer H. Assent||Public / private (registration)||V18.104.22.168||TNG 13.0.3||DE (German)|