|The latest version of this mod uses the guidelines for TNG v12+ cust_text.php files. If you are using TNGv12+, and any cust_text.php file in this mod is marked with a Bad Target error, you need to update your cust_text.php files before you can install this mod. [Show instructions]
If you upgraded to TNGv12+, and did not update your cust_text.php files as instructed in the upgrade readme script, then you must use the TNG Mod Manager to update them. To do so:
[See details in the TNGv12 Change Impacts Article][Hide the instructions]
|Summary||Causes various TNG programs to display hyperlinks to FindAGrave.com pages when they encounter notes containing the strings GRid=nnnn (for graves), or CRid=nnnn (for cemeteries).|
|Mod Updated||22 Nov 2018|
See the Revision History for older versions
|Mod Support||My Mod Support form or TNG Community Forums|
|Contact Developer||My Mod Support form|
|Min TNG V||12.0|
|Max TNG V||13|
genlib.php (the insertLinks function), globallib.php, admin_genconfig.php, admin_updateconfig.php, cust_text.php English
Purpose of the Mod
This mod allows users to enter abbreviated references to
- FindAGrave Grave/Memorial Pages (in the form GRid=nnnn), and
- FindAGrave Cemetery Pages (in the form CRid=nnnn)
and then converts those abbreviated references into hyperlinks as various TNG pages are displayed.
This mod modifies the TNG system function insertLinks (in genlib.php), which converts URLs in text fields into hyperlinks, so that insertLinks calls a new function that converts FindAGrave references, too. Places in TNG where FindAGrave abbreviations are converted include (but are not at all limited to)
- Event notes, as displayed by the Person Profile (getperson.php)
- The Page field of Source Citations, as displayed in the Person Profile,
- Cemetery notes, as displayed by the Cemetery Detail report (showmap.php).
Some other reports and charts call insertLinks, and convert URL's and FindAGrave references into hyperlinks, only after certain mods are install, e.g.
- Place notes, as displayed by the Place Details report (placesearch.php), if Placesearch-More Info is installed,
- Place notes, as displayed by the Admin >> Places screen (admin_places.php), if Admin Places Search is installed,
- Cemetery notes, as displayed by the Admin >> Cemeteries screen (admin_cemeteries.php), if Admin Cemeteries List is installed.
FindAGrave References in TNG data
TNG users employ a variety of techniques to incorporate references to FindAGrave Memorials in their databases. Some users, for example, prefer to create specific FindAGrave events, or to associate FindAGrave media items with Burial events. This mod will probably not help with those tasks.
However, this mod is quite helpful for users (like me) who
- Link to FindAGrave pages from Event notes, and/or
- Define FindAGrave pages as Sources, and link to FindAGrave from Source Citations.
Here's a summary of how I use FindAGrave data in personal events and sources, and where I insert FindAGrave references.
Numerous mods edit functions in genlib.php, but the only mods that I know of that edit the insertLinks functions are:
- Notes-Expand WWW Refs, a mod that I wrote and that is compatible with FindAGrave Links.
- Burial Website Media Import, which conflicts directly with FindAGrave Links, both in the code and in its functionality.
The remarkable Burial Website Media Import mod is much more powerful, flexible, and complex than FindAGrave Links, and accomplishes a different task, though with the same goal of making it simple to link to and view FindAGrave pages. Burial Website Media Import, on the other hand, creates a batch-like Secondary Gedcom Import process that scans the TNG database for references (with varying syntax) to FindAGrave and to BillionGraves.com (and perhaps other sites), and creates media items that link directly to the appropriate external web pages.
On the other hand, this mod, (FindAGrave Links) does not change any data or create any objects; it simply turns cryptic FindAGrave references that are already in TNG data fields into hyperlinks to the appropriate FindAGrave pages.
The Notes-Expand WWW Refs mod, like FindAGrave Links modifies the TNG insertLinks function to convert specific strings in text fields into hyperlinks. The native insertLinks function converts full URLs (beginning with http) into hyperlinks, and Notes-Expand WWW Refs does the same with web addresses that start with www.
Also, it turns out that some TNG programs that could take advantage of the hyperlink-creation performed by insertLinks do not call it. In fact, since insertLinks is in genlib.php, which is not generally Included by TNG Admin programs, insertLinks is not even available to Admin programs. The following mods either change specific programs so that they call insertLinks, or add functions of their own to do what insertLinks does.
- Placesearch-More Info modifies the Place Details report (placesearch.php) to call insertlinks to display the full Place note, and to convert strings within it the note to hyperlinks.
- Admin Places Search modifies the Admin>>Places program so that it continues to truncate Place Notes (as controlled by other TNG system parameters), but so that it inserts hyperlinks within the portion of the note it that does display.
- Admin Cemeteries List does the same thing for the Admin>>Cemeteries program that Admin Places Search does for Admin>>Places.
This mod uses the standard installation process. [Show Installation Details]
- A working TNG installation.
- An installed current version of the Mod Manager.
- You should backup files listed in the panel on the right.
- Remove and delete previous version of this mod.
- Backup the files updated by this mod. They are listed in the panel at the upper right.
- Download the .zip file, Extract its .cfg file to the mods folder.
- Follow the normal automated installation for Mod Manager, as shown in the example Mod Manager - Installing Config Files.
|Person Profile Burial Event BEFORE:|
|Person Profile Burial Event AFTER:|
|Person Profile Citation BEFORE:|
|Person Profile Citation AFTER:|
|showmap.php (i.e. Cemetery Detail) BEFORE:|
|showmap.php (i.e. Cemetery Detail) AFTER:|
The pristine showmap.php does not call the insertLinks function. To enable it to expand FindAGrave links (or any URLs), you must install Admin Cemeteries List v126.96.36.199 or above.
|placesearch.php (i.e. Place Detail) BEFORE:||placesearch.php (i.e. Place Detail) AFTER:|
The pristine placesearch.php treats the Place note as though it were being displayed in a results table. That is, it truncates the Place note to the length specified by a TNG configuration parameter, and does not convert any URLs (much less FindAGrave references) to hyperlinks.
The pristine placesearch.php does not call the insertLinks function. To enable placesearch.php to expand FindAGrave links (or any URLs), you must install Placesearch-More Info v188.8.131.52 or above (or Placesearch Entire Note, when it becomes available).
|Mod Version||TNG Version||Date||Note|
|184.108.40.206||12.0+||15May2018||No functional changes; made compatible with TNGv12.|
|10.0.1.3b||10.0.1-11.1.2+||11Dec2017||Now that FindAGrave has moved its new page design to www.FindAGrave.com, and its old design to old.FindAGrave.com, the options to select a FindAGrave URL have changed.|
|10.0.1.1||10.0.1-11.0.2||27Dec2014||Initial Mod Release|
Sites using this mod
If you download and install this mod, please add your site to the table below.
|Site||User||Note||Mod version||TNG version||Languages|
|Roger's Online Genealogy||Roger Moffat||Private||220.127.116.11||12.2||EN|
|Schmit Heemskerk genealogy||Rudi Schmit||Private||18.104.22.168||12.0||EN,NL,DE|
|||Robin Richmond||Mod developer||10.0.1.3b||11.1.2||English|
|Roots & Relatives Remembered||Ron Krzmarzick||Public & Private||See Here||See Here||EN,DE,CS|