Regroup Person-Hide Branches
(Formerly Hide Branch Names)
|Hide Branch Names|
|Summary||On the Person Profile, hides the person's branch names unless the user is an administrator or, if the user is assigned to a branch, that branch name can optionally be shown when the user views the Person Profile of someone in that branch.|
|Mod Updated||20 Sep 2020|
See the Revision History for older versions
|Mod Support||My Mod Support form or TNG Community Forums|
|Contact Developer||My Mod Support form|
|Min TNG V||10.1|
|Max TNG V||13|
This mod can be installed independently of other mods in the Regroup Person family.
Purpose of the Mod
In the Person Profile, this mod limits the visibility of the branches to which an Individual is assigned.
- Administrators see all branch names assigned to all Individuals.
- Non-logged-in users and users without a branch assignment never see branch names.
- Depending on a mod option, users who are assigned to a branch may see their branch name when viewing someone in their branch.
The idea behind this mod's single option is that, even if you don't want users to see branch members, it make sense for a logged in user who has a branch restriction to see who is in that branch.
There are no apparent conflicts, but there are so many mods that affect the Person Profile that I haven't tested them all against this mod. Please contact me if you encounter any conflicts.
- The Mod Settings Blocks mod packages this mod's options into what I call a "Mod Settings Block", which is a set of form fields that formatted and labeled so that it stands out among other options in an Admin>>Setting form. The Mod Settings Blocks is a prerequisite for this mod; it must be installed before this mod can be installed.
- Admin Branches Show Users was spun off from this mod for TNGv13. When it has been installed, the branch members popup in the Person Profile will (optionally) also show branch-assigned users.
- The optional mod Inner Mod Menus displays an "Inner Mod Menu" in the TNG "inner menu" (just below the tab menu). The Inner Mod Menu that is defined by this mod is visible only if Inner Mod Menus mod is installed. Inner Mod Menus are visible only to TNG administrators; never to end-users. I highly recommend that you install the Inner Mod Menus mod because Inner Mod Menus provide links to handy information - particularly to the mod settings blocks for this mod's options.
- This mod gathers data that can be used by the optional mod Show Mod Names, but there is no dependency on Show Mod Names
This mod is compatible with, and part of, the "Regroup Person" family of mods. [Show the family members]
In TNGv13, this mod includes a typical mod subfolder, with the same base name as the mod's .cfg file. The subfolder is atypical in that no files in it are installed to working TNG folders. However, it does contain critical files that contain the mod's language strings, which the mod does not add to standard cust_text.php files. Instead, the PHP code modified by this mod loads the language strings from files in the mod's languages/ subfolder. Read more about this technique.
[Show Installation Details]
- A working TNG installation.
- An installed current version of the Mod Manager.
- You should backup files listed in the panel on the right.
- Remove and delete previous version of this mod.
- Backup the files updated by this mod. They are listed in the panel at the upper right.
- Download the .zip file, Extract its .cfg file to the mods folder.
- Follow the normal automated installation for Mod Manager, as shown in the example Mod Manager - Installing Config Files.
Note the circled branch names, visible to anyone who can see the person's name. Even with the mod, they will continue to be visible to administrators.
|After Installation, with the mod's option set NOT to allow "branch-restricted" users to see their own branch(es)
The branch names are now invisible to all end users (i.e. all non-admins)
|After Installation, with the mod's option set TO ALLOW "branch-restricted" users to see their own branch(es)
(These conditions all assume that the user is not a site administrator.)
|Condition 1 - The user is not in any of the person's branches
As with the example above, the user cannot see any of the branches
|Condition 2 - The user is in the branch "Bacon"
|Condition 3 - The user is in a "virtual branch" that includes two of the person's branches
The branches whose descriptions are "Kuykendall" and "Hutcheson" have the branch names "HK-Kuykendall" and "HK-Hutcheson", and the user is in the branch whose name is "HK". Thus, the user is effectively in both the "Kuykendall" and "Hutcheson" branches
|FYI - With Regroup Person Profile installed
Regroup Person Profile is not interdependent with Hide Branch Names, but it does change the display of branch names significantly. Regroup Person Profile moves the tree and branch names and the edit date out of the event block, and into the Person Profile heading
|FYI - Without FindAGrave Links
FindAGrave Links is also not interdependent with Hide Branch Names, but since I inadvertently took the screenshots above with FindAGrave Links installed, I though that it might be useful to describe the effect of that mod. FindAGrave Links converts the string GRid=nnn (as shown below) in comment and note fields to a hyperlinked reference to the appropriate FindAGrave memorial page (as shown in the screen clips above). That puts the FindAGrave page just one click away from the Person Profile, and reduces the need to copy the FindAGrave page's images and text to your TNG site.
|Mod Version||TNG Version||Date||Note|
|v126.96.36.199a||13||20 Sep 2020||
|v188.8.131.52.zip||12.0-12.3||10 May 2020||No functional changes. This version's primary purpose is to set the mod's version number to 19 to show that all Regroup Person mods are in sync with Regroup Person Profile.|
Technical changes include
|v184.108.40.206.zip||12.0+||15 May 2018||
|220.127.116.11a||12.0+||15 May 2018||No functional changes; made compatible with TNGv12.
This mod version and all versions below are named Hide Branch Names
|10.0.0.4||10.0.0-10.1.3||14 Feb 2016||- Uses Show Mod Names v2|
|10.0.0.4||10.0.0-10.1.3||6 Dec 2015||- Uses the mod name display functionality defined by Show Mod Names
- Reworked code to be compatible with Show Branch Members
|10.0.0.3||10.0.0-10.1.1||11 Jul 2015||- Followed Ken Roy's suggestion to use the code|
($allow_edit && $allow_add && $allow_delete && !$assignedtree)
to determine whether the user is an administrator.
- Added the option to display matching branches to users who have a branch restriction.
- Put the word "Branches" in front of the branch names.
- Includes conditional code to allow a SQL statement to be executed in TNG v10.0 or v10.1
|10.0.0.2||10.0.0-10.1||26 Feb 2015||v10.0.0.1 would hide branch names from non-administrators, but wouldn't display them for administrators.|
|10.0.0.1||10.0.0-10.1||26 Dec 2014||New mod; adapted from a incompletely documented, un-credited mod already in use.|
Sites using this mod
If you download and install this mod, please add your site to the table below.
|Richmond's Genealogy Database (See a specific Person Profile)||Robin Richmond||Mod developer||18.104.22.168||12.3||English|
|DJCM.DK||Claus Martinussen||Public Site||22.214.171.124a||12.0.3||DA, EN|
|Brady Family Tree in Western Australia||Darryl Brady||Public site||10.0.0.4||10.1.1||EN, DE|
|Our Family Links||Chuck Filteau||Public site, modified Template 12||v10.0.0.3||v10.1.2||EN|
|Our Roy and Boucher Family||Ken Roy||Public site, modified Template 4
Installed without Show Mod Names
|Martius family||Hendrik Martius||Half public||126.96.36.199a||12.0.1||DE, EN, FR, NL|