Mass Updates of Place Level and Zoom
The following procedure describes steps that you can use to mass update the Place Level and Zoom for Places where the latitude and longitude where imported through a gedcom created by a desktop program like Legacy Family Tree 7 or RootsMagic 4.
Since Place Level and Zoom are TNG specific information for the Google Maps display, after importing the LATI and LONG into TNG, you may want to use the following approach to update your place level and zoom values for Places where latitude and longitude were assigned.
This procedure works for Legacy 7 imports in TNG 7.0 and also apply to RootsMagic 4 in TNG 7.1
The two following SQL Updates can be made in using phpMyAdmin. First select the appropriate database and then select the tng_places table and click on the SQL tab and enter the following SQL statements in the SQL input field.
Set default Placelevel
The following SQL statement will set the default placelevel column to 3 which represents Town/City on the basis that the majority of your locations are Towns/Cities
UPDATE tng_places SET placelevel = 3 WHERE longitude != '0' AND placelevel = 0 LIMIT 1000
Set default Zoom
The following SQL statement will set the default zoom column to 10
UPDATE tng_places SET zoom = 10 WHERE longitude != '0' AND zoom =0 LIMIT 1000
Note that you can change the values for the mass update as you feel appropriate.
Export Excel Spreadsheet
After making the mass updates, you can export a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet of the tng_places table using phpMyAdmin:
- Select the Export tab.
- Select the Microsoft Excel 2000 under the Export column, .
- Check the box for Put fields names in the first row under the Options column.
- Check the box for Save as file.
- Click the Go button.
- Save the File on your computer.
On you local computer, you can then update your spreadsheet for Place Level and Zoom using the following approach or a similar one for setting the zoom and place level values:
- zoom = 11 for place level = 2 (hospital/cemetery)
- zoom = 10 for place level = 3 (town/city)
- zoom = 7 or 8 for place level = 4 (county/shire/department)
- zoom = 6 or 7 for place level = 5 (state/province/region)
- zoom = 6 or 7 for place level = 6 (country)
Note that if you updated the default place level and zoom using the SQL update statements above then you only need to find the places which are not a Town/City
Save as csv file
When you are done updating your Excel spreadsheet, save it as a csv file:
- Delete the heading row
- Select the Save As option
- Select the csv file type option
Import the csv file
Next using phpMyAdmin, import the csv file to update zoom and placelevel, after making a backup:
- select your database
- select the tng_places table
- select the Empty tab to clear the table
- select the Import tab
- click the Browse button to find your updated csv file
- Set the Character set of the file - normally latin1 or utf8
- Set the Format of Import file to CSV using LOAD DATA
- change Fields terminated by to use comma rather than semi-colon
- Check the box in front of Replace table data with file
- Click the Go button