Media Types - Adding new
In Admin >> Media, click the Add Collection button and fill the fields as follows based on the following two examples
a. to add a Census media type Collection ID: census Display Title: census Folder Name: census Icon File: user/images/my_census.gif Display Order: << this is a new field to replace the order of the mod >>> Same setup as: select new option to define new media type to behave as photos, documents, headstones, histories, recordings, or videos b. to add an Scan media type Collection ID: scan Display Title: scan Folder Name: scans Icon File: user/images/my_scans.gif Display Order: << this is a new field to replace the order of the mod >>> Same setup as: select new option to define new media type to behave as photos, documents, headstones, histories, recordings, or videos
Collection ID needs to be unique and in the case of a Multiple Language environment use of $text variables is used to access the variable. In the examples shown above, $text[census], $text[scan], and $text[maps] shown in the image are used.
Icon File is the location where your icon for this media collection is located. The help screen indicates is should be in the TNG folder, however as you can see it can be in a subfolder structure. In TNG V8, you must specify the TNG img folder as well if you reference a TNG icon, such as img/tng_doc.gif
Display Order is used to indicate what order to sort the items for display in the Media pull down menu.
Same Setup As is used to indicate what fields will be shown in the Media Record for an Add or Edit. The choices are the standard TNG media types of Photos, Documents, Headstones, Histories, Recordings, or Videos. In the image I only showed the first 4 types, since I have commented out Recordings and Videos as currently not used on my site.
If you previously added media types to the mediatypes.php file, you need to removed those lines before you add those media types using the Add Collection, otherwise you will have duplicates in the media menu pull down list. See Media Types - Migrating mods
In your cust_text.php, you would add the following $text variables if you are using multiple languages or want to add them as part of the topmenu.php menu entries, otherwise you can enter the value in the Display Title input field
$text[census] = "Census Images"; $text[scan] = "Original Records"; $text[maps] = "Historical Maps";
$text[census] = "Images de recensement"; $text[scan] = "Fichiers Originaux"; $text[maps] = "Cartes Historiques";
Note that the $text[census] = "Census Images" with a capital letter in first position will not display until you do a search
- Media - Collections
- External Link Collection
- Media - Add New - Collection
- Media - Add New - Collection (Military Ribbons example)
- Getting Media into TNG - A summary of the various techniques.
- Add New Media - Linked to Person or Family - For Editors as well as Administrators
- Media - Add New - Import one multimedia file into TNG. Then link its new Media record to other objects.
- Histories - Creating - Create a new TNG Media record without importing a multimedia file into TNG.
- Media - Import - Import files that are already on the server, but not already defined as Media records.
- Media - Upload - Upload several media files, import them into TNG, and link them (individually or collectively) to other objects.
- Import Media Using GEDCOM - Upload new media files that are referenced inside of a uploaded GEDCOM file.
|TNG version:||≤ 12.3.0|
|TNG version:||≥ 7.0|
Information on Image Maps apply to TNG versions prior to TNG 13
|TNG version:||≥ 13.0.0|
Information on Image Tags apply to TNG v13 and later
Other Useful Articles
- Batch updates of IPTC tags using IrfanView
- Folios on how to handle multi-page documents as if it were a single TNG media object
- Folios - Examples
- Media Functions on how to hook videos into TNG
- Preserving Digital Photos