Preserving Digital Photos
Can we preserve digital photos like our ancestors preserved their photos?
The disadvantage of digital photos is that it is difficult to write in the back of the photo. However, with the editors that support the International Press Telecommunications Council (IPTC) standard for information that can be embedded into a digital photo or the Adobe Extensible Metadata Platform (XMP) open standard, one can accomplish the same thing as writing on the back of a photo by labeling digital photos.
TNG displays the IPTC tags when the Show Extended Photo Info option is set to Yes in Admin >> Setup >> General Settings >> Media section.
The following web pages offer valuable information for preserving information with your digital photos using IPTC and XMP metadata tags. There are likely other software packages that support similar capabilities.
For a good overview on digital labelling of photos see Ken W. Watson's discussion on Digital Labelling
For a good discussion on IPTC and XMP meta data tags, see the using IPTC and XMP metadata tags
See TNG Community Forum discussion on XMP tags not being displayed and on adding $text variables for the additional tags.
Ken W. Watson's site further shows how to make the caption a visible part of the photo on his Visible Captioning of Digital Photos page, which shows both a manual procedure and how to use BreezeBrowser to generate the caption.
For a discussion on see Storing and Archiving Digital Photos
- Media - Collections
- External Link Collection
- Media - Add New - Collection
- Media - Add New - Collection (Military Ribbons example)
- Getting Media into TNG - A summary of the various techniques.
- Add New Media - Linked to Person or Family - For Editors as well as Administrators
- Media - Add New - Import one multimedia file into TNG. Then link its new Media record to other objects.
- Histories - Creating - Create a new TNG Media record without importing a multimedia file into TNG.
- Media - Import - Import files that are already on the server, but not already defined as Media records.
- Media - Upload - Upload several media files, import them into TNG, and link them (individually or collectively) to other objects.
- Import Media Using GEDCOM - Upload new media files that are referenced inside of a uploaded GEDCOM file.
|TNG version:||≤ 12.3.0|
|TNG version:||≥ 7.0|
Information on Image Maps apply to TNG versions prior to TNG 13
|TNG version:||≥ 13.0.0|
Information on Image Tags apply to TNG v13 and later
Other Useful Articles
- Batch updates of IPTC tags using IrfanView
- Folios on how to handle multi-page documents as if it were a single TNG media object
- Folios - Examples
- Media Functions on how to hook videos into TNG
- Preserving Digital Photos