Setup - Media
Setup - Media and Thumbnails
The TNG Admin >> Setup >> General Settings >> Media section allows you to setup how your media and thumbnails will be handled in TNG:
Extended Photo Info
Show Extended Photo Info:
- No (default) does not display the IPTC meta data
- Yes displays the IPTC meta data
You can use a graphics editor like IrfanView to add IPTC information to your images.
Image Max Dimensions
Image Max Height:
- (default is not set) which will display the image in its actual height
- 600 means to scale the image height down to 600 pixels
Image Max Width:
- (default is not set) which will display the image in its actual width
- 800 means to scale the image width down to 800 pixels
Note that images are not upscaled to the max height or width
TNG Setup >> General Settings >> Media allows you to define
- Thumbnails Prefix: which can be
- Size of the thumbnails:
- Thumbnail Max Height: 50 (default)
- Thumbnail Max Width: 50 (default)
Enable Slide Show:
- Yes (the default) means that the slide show is available from the image display
- No means that the slide show will not be made available
Slide Show Auto Repeat:
- No (the default) means to run through the slide show once
- Yes means to put the slide show in a loop.
Note that allowing the slide show to automatically repeat might chew up some of your monthly bandwidth.
Max chars in list notes
|TNG version:||≥ 8.0|
The Max characters in list notes will be blank when you upgrade to TNG V8, but defaults to 350 characters. If you do not want TNG to truncate the Media Description field when listing media on the browsemedia screen you can increase this value.
Note that the 350 characters also include any HTML formatting characters such as URL links. The field is pictured below in the Image Viewer section.
|TNG version:||≥ 8.0|
You will no longer need to modify Bret Rumsey's image viewer to control whether it applies to all media or only certain media. In V8, the TNG Admin >> General Settings >> Media allow selecting the following options:
- Media - Collections
- External Link Collection
- Media - Add New - Collection
- Media - Add New - Collection (Military Ribbons example)
- Getting Media into TNG - A summary of the various techniques.
- Add New Media - Linked to Person or Family - For Editors as well as Administrators
- Media - Add New - Import one multimedia file into TNG. Then link its new Media record to other objects.
- Histories - Creating - Create a new TNG Media record without importing a multimedia file into TNG.
- Media - Import - Import files that are already on the server, but not already defined as Media records.
- Media - Upload - Upload several media files, import them into TNG, and link them (individually or collectively) to other objects.
- Import Media Using GEDCOM - Upload new media files that are referenced inside of a uploaded GEDCOM file.
|TNG version:||≤ 12.3.0|
|TNG version:||≥ 7.0|
Information on Image Maps apply to TNG versions prior to TNG 13
|TNG version:||≥ 13.0.0|
Information on Image Tags apply to TNG v13 and later
Other Useful Articles
- Batch updates of IPTC tags using IrfanView
- Folios on how to handle multi-page documents as if it were a single TNG media object
- Folios - Examples
- Media Functions on how to hook videos into TNG
- Preserving Digital Photos