TNGwiki New Page
There are a several ways you can create a new page/article, such as
- over typing the part of URL link that follows the title= in the browser URL window
- add an Internal Link in an existing wiki article for the related new article
- using the search box
Over type URL
- While viewing an article... click on the edit tab
- Type in the title you want for your new article
- enclose it it in "[[ ]]" double brackets
- Or highlight the text with your mouse and click on the internal link icon ... it then supplies the double bracket on either side of your highlighted text
- or simply click the Link icon and create and internal link as shown below
A modal dialog box will be launched where you can enter an Internal Page link or create a link to an External web site.
Internal Page Link
|The default is to create an internal page link, where you would enter the title of an existing page or the title of a new page.
Notice that as you type, the software will search for existing page names
External URL Link
Old Editor Toolbar
Search box method
In the search dialog box on the upper right hand side of the page ...
- You can add a link to any existing page by enclosing the article name in a double bracket
- for example » [[ new page name]]
- Note: The article name could be just about anything ... and yet the link can display any text you wish
On the main page there is a link
- Select an existing category in the left nav area, for example
- Select an existing page, such as for example
Change the URL in the URL address to the page you want to create, for example
and then hit Enter
That will return a screen that says "There is currently no text in this page....and on the right of the message there is a link for edit this page.
If you click that link you then get an input page where you can paste the content of your new page.
"nowiki" versus "pre"
Note that code sections should be preceded by a '<pre>' and followed by an '</ pre >' (note blanks added for display purposes) so the lines do not get formatted. The < nowiki > </ nowiki > is supposed to accomplish the same thing, but I have never been able to get that to work.
- Both methods seem to work ...and the "pre" method is fewer keystrokes! The pre method will also put the code inside a box, where you may need to add a line feed (Enter) key at the end of the displayed line to get the code to display with 80 columns.
Copying another articles format
You can also edit the Living Flag Mod for example and select all the text and copy it, and then paste it in your new page and then replace the pertinent portions.
Assigning a category
When you are satisfied with the display of your page, you can add the category at the end of the page, for example
[[Category:Mods]] for TNG Mods [[Category:Administrator]] for the TNG Administration Guide [[Category:Registered Users]] for the TNG User Guide
- It may not always be necessary to assign an article to a category
- You can also assign an article to multiple categories
- Copy/paste just the black text ... not the green
- [[Category:Getting Started]] = TNG Getting Started Guide
- [[Category:Administrator]] = TNG Admin Guide
- [[Category:Programmer]] = TNG Programmer's Guide
- [[Category:Registered Users]] = TNG User Guide
- [[Category:Visitors]] = TNG Visitor's Guide
- [[Category:Reports]] = TNG Reports
- [[Category:Mods]] = TNG modifications
- [[Category:Wanted]] = Miscellaneous
- [[Category:Hardware]] = Hardware
- [[Category:Software]] = Software
- [[Category:Web_Services]] = Web Services
- [[Category:Tutorials]] = Tutorials
- [[Category:Tips_and_Tricks]] = Tips and Tricks
- [[Category:FAQ]] = FAQ
- [[Category:GLOSSARY]] = GLOSSARY
The following categories were setup to take advantage of the CategoryTree Extension which creates subcategories with expandable and contractible lists in the TNG Guides as well as display the articles under categories in the sidebar, which might provide an easier way to find some of the information.
- [[Category:Manual]] = CategoryTree categories in Sidebar
- [[Category:Media]] = Media subcategory in TNG Admin Guide and in Sidebar
- [[Category:Setup]] = Setup subcategory in TNG Admin Guide and in Sidebar
- [[Category:Templates]] = Templates subcategory in TNG Admin Guide and in Sidebar
- [[Category:GoogleMaps]] = GoogleMaps subcategory in TNG Admin Guide and in Sidebar
- [[Category:Charset]] = Charset subcategory in TNG Admin Guide and in Sidebar
- [[Category:How TNG Works]] = Understanding subcategory in TNG Programming Guide and in Sidebar
- [[Category:TNG Wiki How To]] = TNG Wiki How To subcategory in miscellaneous and in Sidebar
Hope that helps you and others who would like to document their mods or other procedures to the TNG Wiki.
Let me know if anything else is not clear. For example if you select the text you want to bold and then click the B in the toolbar on the edit page, it will put the Wiki code to bold that text. <b> and </b> also appears to work.
See also the following MediaWiki article
- The TNGwiki Editing Help article for quick reference of most common formatting You can copy/paste some common edits
- FCKeditor Wiki sandbox
- TNGwiki Guidelines - Brainstorm of policy and guidelines for TNGwiki posting
- TNGwiki Article Posting - General information
- TNGwiki New Page - Methods for creating a new article
- TNGwiki Article Illustrations
- TNGwiki Tables - an approach for creating Tables in a TNG Wiki article
- The TNGwiki Editing Help article for quick reference of most common formatting
- Basic Wiki editing - MediaWiki editing 101