Using the Basic Viewer for US Census
|The following procedure for Import from Ancestry applies to Firefox and SeaMonkey only and likely do not work with other browsers.|
If you have a paid subscription to Ancestry.com, you can find the Census images and save the transcripts so they can be processed by the Census Feature mod using an approach like the following:
- save the transcript file with a file name that you recognize and can easily distinguish from other census DOM Source txt files
- if you have scripts from both the standard (or basic) image viewer used in v9000 and v9211, then you should probably add a _int or _interactive to the .txt file name, for example
- save the census image with a file name that allows you to find the image associated with a specific census
- Save the image to your census folder with a file name that uses part of the URL for the dbid= and iid=, for example
- For the interactive viewer, you can create the dbid=xxxx&iid=xxxx-zzzz.jpg using the interactive URL as follows
- where the first number is the Db ID, in this case 6742
- and the second number is the Image ID, in this case 4241561-00058
- so the image name would be dbid=6742&iid=4241561-00058.jpg
- copy the transcript file to the TNG transcriptsource directory
- copy the image file using the dbid= and iid= name to the census directory
There are different considerations in using the Census Feature mod depending on whether you:
- Import a GEDCOM from a desktop genealogy program
- Use TNG as your master database
See Census Feature considerations when importing GEDCOM for additional details
Using TNG only
See Census Feature considerations when using TNG only for additional details
Import from Ancestry
If you have a paid subscription to Ancestry.com, the easiest way to obtain a census transcript is to import it.
The image options should be set to use the Standard Image Viewer
To select the transcript for import, right click to the right of the image or in the index area.
Capture Image and Transcript
In order to display the census image from your web site, rather than providing a link to Ancestry.com, which requires a paid subscription for users to view the image, you should save the image with a file name that is made up of part of the URL for the dbid= and iid=
Note based on the image shown below, the file name must be saved as dbid=6743&iid=4241561-00594.jpg and FTPed to your census folder.
After saving the transcript text source file, you need to FTP the file to the TNG transcriptsource folder created by the Census Feature mod
Import Saved Data
The following are the steps to importing the saved transcript file from Ancestry.com:
- You should select the file that you FTPed to the transcriptsource folder in the Import from Ancestry tab.
- Uncheck the Delete after import? box if you want to keep the transcript file on your web site.
- Click the Import Saved Data button
After importing the census transcript from Ancestry.com, the Census Feature mod will take you through the necessary steps to update the information.
Add Household Number
You should add the Household Number to all family members in the household.
Note that if additional members are in the household, such as boarders and servants, if these people are not in your genealogy database, you should not add the household number to these people.
Note that the household number must be the same for all members in a household. If a family crosses images, where the Head of household is at the bottom of one page, and part of the family is at the top of the next page, you must enter the same household number for both transcript sources when assigning household numbers.
In order to support multiple trees, the Census Feature requires that you select a tree.
Assign Person IDs
You should assign personIDs to everyone in the household.
You should leave this tab (or window) open until you are done assigning the Person IDs.
If the correct person is not returned when you click the Assign ID button, you should enter the personID directly.
Note that the Family Edit Links Mod which displays the personID might be useful for entering the personID directly.
Create Census Event
Link Media to Event
Note: If you maintain your genealogy master database in a desktop program, the Census events (CENS) should be created in your desktop database using the census year only for the event.
Admin Update Transcript
If you imported a census transcript and later want to make other updates, you have to use the Admin >> Census >> Update Transcript or Assign IDs screens to make the changes.
You can search on the Township and Year to find the correct census to update.