|Summary||Modifies the Admin>>Branches search page to display counts of People and Families in the branch index, as well as count of People and Families records that have the branch.|
|Mod Updated||3 May 2018|
|Homepage||Robin Richmond's Genealogy Database|
|Mod Support||My Mod Support form or TNG Community Forums|
|Contact Developer||My Mod Support form|
|Latest Mod||v126.96.36.199a & v188.8.131.52|
|Min TNG V||11.0|
|Max TNG V||at least 12.0|
admin_branches.php, admin_editbranch.php, ajx_labels.php, English cust_text.php;
Installs: rradminbranches_ajx.php, rradminbranches_lib.php
Branch Timestamps depends on this mod.
Purpose of the Mod
To add information to the Admin>>Branches>>Search results table, and simplify (from the author's perspective) the Add/Remove/Delete functionality in the Edit screen.
- The Admin>>Branches>>Search page now:
- Has two new columns for the four branch rule parameters (with 2 values in each column):
- Flags the People and Families columns when the count of Branch Labels in People and Families records does not match the count of records in the BranchLinks table. Note that the counts are expected not to match for what I call "dummy branches" whose BranchID's are incorporated into other branches, but they are still flagged. (See the visualizations)
- Uses a Mod Parameter to determine whether to show counts in the People and Families columns, or just to indicate whether there are any People or Families in the branch. This feature was added because it can take too long to count the branch labels in very large TNG databases.
- Has a "Results Per Page" field that uses the TNG system parameter "maxsearchresults" as its default.
- Adds "Field Buttons" to the search string field and the Results Per Page field. (Field buttons are small buttons with one-letter labels that are attached to form fields, and that perform four common editing tasks: Clear a field, Restore the field's initial value, set a Default, or set an "All items" value. See the Field Buttons mod, which must installed for the field buttons to be visible.
- In the Branch Edit form:
- All action buttons are now directly on the screen, in fieldsets, rather than in pop-ups. (I found the cascading pop-up forms confusing.)
- There is now a "Show names" checkbox so that when branch labels are added or cleared, the names associated with each Person and Family record in the branch don't always have to be displayed.
$countBranchLabels in admin_branches.php
This parameter determines whether the Admin>>Branches>>Search results will display branch label counts for each branch, or just indicate whether each branch has labels. On sites with so many records that the branch counts take too long, the administrator will want to turn off the automatic branch counts.
- rradminbranches_ajx.php (ajx_branchcounts.php in the TNGv11 version of the mod)
This AJAX program is called by the Branch Editor (admin_editbranch.php) after an operation that changes the branch contents (i.e. the records the in the branch) so that the Branch Editor can display the branch counts without having to reload the page. It is also used by the Branch Timestamps mod, which is a companion mod to Admin Branches, and depends on Admin Branches.
- rradminbranches_lib.php (branchcountslib.php in the TNGv11 version of the mod)
The functions in this PHP function library count records (People and Families) in a branch. It is used by
- The Admin>>Branches>>Search program (admin_branches.php) to display the search results table,
- The Branch edit program (admin_editbranch.php) to display counts for the current branch, and
- rradminbranches_ajx.php to retrieve updated counts after admin_editbranch.php has modified a branch.
Compatibility with Other Mods
This mod is compatible with Add Name to PersonID, Tree ID Mod, TreeID-One Column, and Branch Timestamps. The current version of this mod is not' compatible with Branches Sort mod. But the goal of Branches Sort Mod, to sort related branches together in the Admin Branches Search results table, is only achieved if the related branches use the common BranchID at the very beginning of their BranchIDs. A Branch Testing Application that can focus on all groups of related branches is installed by the Branch Timestamps mod.
- Branch Timestamps is a companion mod to Admin Branches and depends on Admin Branches. Branch Timestamps
- Adds fields to the Branches table that record
- The last action (Add Labels, Clear Labels, Delete, or Edit) that was taken on the branch
- When that action occurred (hence the name "Branch Timestamps", and
- The number of People records and Families records affected by that operation.
- Adds columns to the Admin >> Branches >> Search results page,
- Creates a queueing mechanism that allows a TNG site administrator to "queue up" a set of Add Labels operations so that the administrator doesn't have to wait for each branch to finish before starting the next one, and
- Installs a "Timestamp Test App" that lets a TNG site administrator review the results of recent actions, run actions, and queue actions.
- Adds fields to the Branches table that record
- The optional mod Add Name To PersonID modifies several programs, including the Branch Search program and the Branch Editor to display the name of a branch "Starting Individual" as well as the personID.
- The optional Field Buttons mod implements the functionality of the field buttons that are attached to the search string field and the Result Per Page field in the Branches Search page. If it is installed, no errors occurs; the field buttons will simply not appear on the screen.
- The optional Show Mod Names mod can use data saved by Admin Branches to display information about mods that affect admin_branches.php and admin_branchedit.php. As with Field Buttons, if Show Mod Names is not installed, nothing bad happens; the "Show Mod Names" button will simply not be displayed at the bottom of either program.
[Show Installation Details]
- A working TNG installation.
- An installed current version of the Mod Manager.
- You should backup files listed in the panel on the right.
- Remove and delete previous version of this mod.
- Backup the files updated by this mod. They are listed in the panel at the upper right.
- Download the .zip file, Extract its .cfg file to the mods folder.
- Follow the normal automated installation for Mod Manager, as shown in the example Mod Manager - Installing Config Files.
| Admin>>Branches>>Search Before|
| Admin>>Branches>>Search After/span>|
Features in the visualization above that are installed or enabled by other mods:
| Admin>>Branches>>Edit After|
|Admin>>Branches>>Edit After Showing the results of an Add Labels action|
Mod Change History
|Mod Version||TNG Versions||Date||Note|
|184.108.40.206.zip & 220.127.116.11.zip||11.0 - 12.0+||24 May 2018||Brought to TNGv12 specs; Change the filenames of the installed files to be more distinctive.|
|18.104.22.168a.zip||11.0 - 11.1.2||28 Dec 2017|| No visible changes, except when printing
|22.214.171.124||11.0+||12 Dec 2017|| Changes:
|126.96.36.199a||11.0+||2 Jun2017||The new $summaryonly Query String parameter in ajx_labels.php is now implemented through this mod rather than through Branch Timestamps. As a result|
|188.8.131.52||11.0+||2 Apr 2017||New mod in Beta status.|
Sites using this mod
If you download and install this mod, please add your site to the table below.
|Robin Richmond's Genealogy Database||Robin Richmond||Mod developer||v184.108.40.206||12.0||English|
|Racine d'Alsace||J-Louis Valory||Public/Private - T17 customized||220.127.116.11||12.0.2||FR|
|Cole / Tanner Family Tree||David Cole||Public/Private||see here||see here||English|