Admin Places Geocode
| The article below describes a complete, tested mod.
This mod also has a new "beta" version:10.1.0.2 that can be downloaded here:
In truth, I have over 40 new and updated mods in this state, and I'd appreciate whatever help that anyone can offer. So it would be great if you could download the mod, test it, and let me know how it works for you. And if you're up for it, screenshots from before the mod was installed and after (annotated or not) would be a great help. Just email any updates to me. My email username is 'mail, and my email domain is robinrichmond.com.
Thanks in advance. Robin Richmond 19:01, 6 May 2017 (CDT)
|Admin Places Geocode|
|Summary||Defines a new Placelevel for "Don't Geocode"; rounds new geocoordinates 6 decimal places; displays the Geocoding results and the kickoff form on the same web page.|
|Homepage||Robin Richmond's Genealogy Database|
|Mod Support||My Mod Support form or TNG Community Forums|
|Contact Developer||My Mod Support form|
|Min TNG V||10.1|
|Max TNG V||11.1|
admin_geocodeform.php, admin_geocode.php, admin_editplace.php, googlemaplib2.php, places_help.php, cust_text.php English
Purpose of the Mod
- Avoids situations where automatic geocoding regularly fails by adding filters that can be selected in the Admin >> Places >> Geocode kickoff form. See the visualization of the new help text (shown below) for descriptions of the filters.
- Improves the geocoding workflow by displaying the geocoding results and the next kickoff form on the same web page.
- Provides a way to mark Places that shouldn't be geocoded by adding a Placelevel value (-1) and labeling it as Don't Geocode".
- Eliminates extraneous detail in geocoordinates in three ways:
- The Geocoding program rounds all new geocodes to at most six decimal places.
- Geocodes defined through the Place Editor are rounded to at most six decimal places.
- The Place Editor has a new "Round" button that rounds existing geocodes to six decimal places.
In the distributed TNG code, admin_geocodeform.php displays the kickoff form, which invokes admin_geocode.php to do the geocoding. After admin_geocode.php displays the results, it displays a link back to the kickoff form in admin_geocodeform.php. This mod moves the PHP code that does geocoding into admin_geocodeform.php so that the results can be displayed on the same web page as another kickoff form. With this change, admin_geocode.php is no longer used at all.
- This mod depends on the Blue Info Button mod to define the style class that formats an information icon next to the Filters checkboxes on the kickoff form. It does not strictly require the Blue Info Button mod to be installed, but without that mod, the icon (shown in the visualizations below) would just look like a hyperlinked (i.e. underlined) lowercase i.
Other Related Mods
- The Admin Places Search mod changes the Place Level column to show descriptive values ("Country", "State/Provice", etc) rather than raw numbers, and displays "Do Not Geocode" for the new value of -1 that is implemented by this mod. But there is no dependency between the two mods.
- This mod saves data that can be used by the optional Show Mod Names utility mod, but it is not dependent on that mod.
Compatibility with other Mods
- A working TNG installation.
- An installed current version of the Mod Manager.
- You should backup files listed in the panel on the right.
- Remove and delete previous version of this mod.
- Backup the files updated by this mod. They are listed in the panel at the upper right.
- Download the .zip file, and extract its .cfg file to the mods folder.
- Follow the normal automated installation for Mod Manager, as shown in the example Mod Manager - Installing Config Files.
In the event of a problem
Visualization of this Mod
| BEFORE: The Admin >> Places Editor|
| AFTER: The Admin >> Places Editor|
| AFTER: New text in the Places help file|
Mod Change History
|Mod Version||TNG Versions||Date||Note|
|10.1.0.1||10.1||19 Apr 2017||New mod.|
Sites using this mod
If you download and install this mod, please add your site to the table below.
|Robin Richmond's Genealogy Database||Robin Richmond||Mod developer||v10.1.0.1||11.0.2||English|