Admin Places Search
|This article is in transition from v3a to v4 of the Admin Places Search mod. Version 4 should be considered a Beta version. It does not change the way that Admin>>Places searches for and displays Places, but it introduces some help features and and handles the mod options differently. The text of this article describes version 3a. Revision notes for version 4, along with Beta test considerations, are in the Revision History section of this article.|
|Admin Places Search|
|Summary||Adds search options and results details to the Admin>>Places>>Search program|
|Mod Updated||19 Aug 2019|
|Homepage||Robin Richmond's Genealogy Database|
|Mod Support||My Mod Support form or TNG Community Forums|
|Contact Developer||My Mod Support form|
|Min TNG V||12.0|
|Max TNG V||at least 12.0.2|
admin_places.php, cust_text.php English. Installs shared files: rrinnermodmenu1_php.php, rrinnermodmenu1_cssjs.php, rrsetup_modoptions1_cssjs.php, img/rrmodadmin_wikilogo.png
Because this mod shares a mods subfolder with other mods, when you unzip the mod's zip file or move the files to the mods folder, you may get a "Folder already exists" warning, which you should ignore. (See notes on How These New Features are Implemented.)
Purpose of the Mod
Adds features to the Admin >> Places >> Search form and results list as follows:
- Adds 3 search options:
- "Results Per Page", which overrides the system value ($maxresults)
- "Show Place Notes", which are displayed in a new column.
- "Show Cemetery Links", which are displayed as an HTML entity in a new column. When the Cemetery Links column is displayed, a table footnote describes that column.
- Allows the Regular Expression anchor characters ^ and $ to be placed at the beginning and/or the end of the search string. (See the visualizations for a specific example.)
- Adds a Placeholder text message in the Search field to note that the anchor characters can be used there.
- Draws a fieldset around the search form to help distinguish it from the action/pagination form.
- Displays the tree and searchstring parameters (if they have values) at the top of the results table.
- Rounds longitude and latitude values to the number of decimal digits supplied by a mod option defined by the optional Admin Places Geocode mod.
- In the Placelevel column, displays descriptive names such as Location and City/Town). Will also display the numeric Placelevel value if directed by a mod option.
- Omits the Tree column if a tree was selected
- Adds text describing these changes to the Places Help file.
- Adds an information icon next to the Search field that hyperlinks to new text in the Places Help file.
- Whether to show the PlaceLevel number (0, 1, 2, etc.) in addition to the PlaceLevel description (Not Set, Address, Location, City/Town, etc.)
This mod is compatible with Admin Places Geocode, Places Subject to Deletion, and TreeID-One Column, as well as with two mods, Google Maps - More Place Levels Mod and Google maps 15 that add Placelevel definitions. It is not compatible with Tree ID Mod, but is compatible with TreeID-One Column, which accomplishes the same purpose as Tree ID Mod. TreeID-One Column just uses one column instead of two to display the Tree ID and Tree Name, and avoids a couple of mod conflicts.
- Admin Places Geocode
- Defines the Placelevel value of -1 to mean "Do not Geocode". This mod defines the string "Do not Geocode" that is displayed when it sees a value of -1 for the Placelevel.
- Installs a mod option that controls the number of decimal digits in Latitude and Longitude values. If that option has been defined, then this mod rounds the Latitude and Longitude as they are read from the database, and as they are written to the database.
- Admin Places Date also affects Admin>>Places, but does not specifically interact with Admin Places Search.
- The Field Buttons mod must be installed for the "Field Buttons" (small editing-shortcut controls next to some form fields) defined by this mod to be visible. The Field Buttons mod is not required, however. But, if it is installed, this mod requires [[Field Buttons] version 3 or higher.
- This mod saves data that can be used by the optional Show Mod Names utility mod.
- (In version 4 of this mod, Admin Places Geocode and Admin Places Date are included in the new Inner Mod Menu for admin_places.php.)
This mod uses the standard installation procedure, though it should be noted that this mod contains a mod subfolder that is shared with other mods that implement the "Inner Mod Menu" and that put their options in Admin >> Setup >> General Settings >> Robin's Mods. As a result, as you unzip or copy the mod, you might get a warning noting that a folder already exists. You can just ignore that warning.
[Show Installation Details]
- A working TNG installation.
- An installed current version of the Mod Manager.
- You should backup files listed in the panel on the right.
- Remove and delete previous version of this mod.
- Backup the files updated by this mod. They are listed in the panel at the upper right.
- Download the .zip file, Extract its .cfg file to the mods folder.
- Follow the normal automated installation for Mod Manager, as shown in the example Mod Manager - Installing Config Files.
(These visualizations are from mod version 3a, but most of them also apply well to mod version 4. See update notes in the Revision History section of this article.)
| BEFORE: The Pristine Admin >> Places screen, with the system variable $maxresults (Results per page) set to 30.|
| AFTER: Search results without a search string, highlighting some of the new features|
| AFTER: Results for the search string "cemetery", with the "Show notes" and "Show Cemetery Links" options selected.|
| AFTER: When the "Missing Latitude or Longitude" option is selected.|
| AFTER: The help text added by this mod|
| AFTER: Field Buttons|
Field buttons are described further in the Field Button mod article. The Field Buttons mod is necessary to make the field buttons visible.
|Mod Version||TNG Versions||Date||Note|
|18.104.22.168 (beta)||12.0+||18Aug2019|| No significant changes to the search and display functionality.
|22.214.171.124a||12.0+||14Nov2018||No functional changes; made compatible with TNGv12.|
|126.96.36.199a||11.0+||28Dec2017|| Visibly, added "field buttons". Technical changes include
|188.8.131.52a||11.0+||30May2017||Added the Insert Links function to the Place Notes so that URLs and and FindAGrave ID's are displayed as hyperlinks. First non-beta version|
|184.108.40.206||11.0+||26May2017||Now compatible with Google Maps - More Place Levels Mod and Google maps 15. Also added the two mod parameters.|
Sites using this mod
If you download and install this mod, please add your site to the table below.
|Robin Richmond's Genealogy Database||Robin Richmond||Mod developer||220.127.116.11a||11.1.1||English|
|Our Roy and Boucher Family||Ken Roy||Modified to display correct Place Level description to support Google Maps - More Place Levels Mod and Google maps 15.||18.104.22.168||11.1.1||English, French|
|Cole / Tanner Family Tree||David Cole||Public/Private||see here||see here||English|