Admin Places Search
|Admin Places Search|
|Summary||Adds search options and results details to the Admin>>Places>>Search program|
|Mod Updated||26 Feb 2020|
See the Revision History for older versions
|Homepage||Robin Richmond's Genealogy Database|
|Mod Support||My Mod Support form or TNG Community Forums|
|Contact Developer||My Mod Support form|
|Min TNG V||11.0|
|Max TNG V||12.3|
admin_places.php, cust_text.php English. Installs shared files: rrinnermodmenu1.php, admin_genconfig.php, admin_updateconfig.php, rrsetup_modoptions1_include.php, img/rrmodadmin_wikilogo.png
Installs shared files: rrinnermodmenu1_include.php, rrmodoptions1.php, img/rrmodadmin_wikilogo.png
Purpose of the Mod
Adds features to the Admin >> Places >> Search form and results list as follows:
- Adds 3 search options:
- "Results Per Page", which overrides the system value ($maxresults)
- "Show Place Notes", which are displayed in a new column.
- "Show Cemetery Links", which are displayed as an HTML entity in a new column. When the Cemetery Links column is displayed, a table footnote describes that column.
- Allows the Regular Expression anchor characters ^ and $ to be placed at the beginning and/or the end of the search string. (See the visualizations for a specific example.)
- Adds a Placeholder text message in the Search field to note that the anchor characters can be used there.
- Draws a fieldset around the search form to help distinguish it from the action/pagination form.
- Displays the tree and searchstring parameters (if they have values) at the top of the results table.
- Rounds longitude and latitude values to the number of decimal digits supplied by a mod option defined by the optional Admin Places Geocode mod.
- In the Placelevel column, displays descriptive names such as Location and City/Town). Will also display the numeric Placelevel value if directed by a mod option.
- Omits the Tree column if a tree was selected
- Adds text describing these changes to the Places Help file.
- Adds an information icon next to the Search field that hyperlinks to new text in the Places Help file.
All options are custom TNG settings, which are defined and edited in the form at Admin>>Setup>>General Settings, in the new subform Robin's Mods, where the options for various mods are organized into Mod Settings Blocks.
This mod has one option. The mod displays Place Level names (Not Set, Address, Location, City/Town, etc.) in the Place Level results column, where the native code just displays the Place Level number. The option is whether to show the Place Level number in addition to the Place Level description.
- In version 3 of the mod, this option is a "mod parameter", defined by the Mod Manager
%parametertag, and edited within the Mod Manager.
- In version 4, this option is a custom TNG setting, defined and edited in the form at Admin>>Setup>>General Settings, in the new subform Robin's Mods
This mod is compatible with Admin Places Geocode, Places Subject to Deletion, and TreeID-One Column, as well as with two mods, Google Maps - More Place Levels Mod and Google maps 15 that add Placelevel definitions. It is not compatible with Tree ID Mod, but is compatible with TreeID-One Column, which accomplishes the same purpose as Tree ID Mod. TreeID-One Column just uses one column instead of two to display the Tree ID and Tree Name, and avoids a couple of mod conflicts.
- Admin Places Geocode
- Defines the Placelevel value of -1 to mean "Do not Geocode". This mod defines the string "Do not Geocode" that is displayed when it sees a value of -1 for the Placelevel.
- Installs a mod option that controls the number of decimal digits in Latitude and Longitude values. If that option has been defined, then this mod rounds the Latitude and Longitude as they are read from the database, and as they are written to the database.
- Admin Places Date also affects Admin>>Places, and coordinates with this mod in that when this mod adds field buttons to the form field it creates, it also adds field buttons for the "Creation Date" form field field that is added by Admin Places Date - well, if that field is present in the form when admin_places.php runs.
- This mod uses the Field Buttons mod to attach small 'field buttons' to several text fields, but it is not dependent on Field Buttons. Field buttons are configurable (and generally one-character) buttons that are attached to HTML form fields, and that reduce the typing or mouse movements needed to perform several common editing tasks. This mod is not compatible with Field Buttons mod versions earlier than version 3.
- This mod saves data that can be used by the optional Show Mod Names utility mod.
This mod uses the standard installation procedure, though it should be noted that this mod contains an atypical mod subfolder. The folder RR-shared_mod_includes_v18.104.22.168 contains files that support mod option management in many of my mods. Those files are:
- rrshared_innermodmenu4.php - Inner Mod Menus
- rrshared_modsettingsblocks4.php - Mod Settings Blocks
- img/rrshared_wikilogo.gif - An icon that links to a mod's TNG Wiki page from an Inner Mod Menu or Mod Settings Block
The shared folder is packaged with several mods, each of which will (try to) install the .gif file and at least one of the .php files. Once a file from this folder has been installed (by any mod), that file will not be overwritten or removed by the subsequent installation or un-installation of any mod (including this one), nor will its presence generate any Mod Manager errors.
If you unzip mod distribution files directly into your mods folder, then the presence of this second subfolder and the installation of its files should be invisible to you. But if you generally copy mod subfolders to your mods folder, you need to make sure to copy the folder RR-shared_mod_includes_v22.214.171.124 (well, unless you are confident that it is already in your mods folder because it was part of another mod).
[Show Installation Details]
- A working TNG installation.
- An installed current version of the Mod Manager.
- You should backup files listed in the panel on the right.
- Remove and delete previous version of this mod.
- Backup the files updated by this mod. They are listed in the panel at the upper right.
- Download the .zip file, Extract its .cfg file to the mods folder.
- Follow the normal automated installation for Mod Manager, as shown in the example Mod Manager - Installing Config Files.
(These visualizations are from mod version 3a, but most of them also apply well to mod version 4. See update notes in the Revision History section of this article.)
| BEFORE: The Pristine Admin >> Places screen, with the system variable $maxresults (Results per page) set to 30.|
| AFTER: Search results without a search string, highlighting some of the new features|
| AFTER: Results for the search string "cemetery", with the "Show notes" and "Show Cemetery Links" options selected.|
| AFTER: When the "Missing Latitude or Longitude" option is selected.|
| AFTER: The help text added by this mod|
| AFTER: Field Buttons|
Field buttons are described further in the Field Button mod article. The Field Buttons mod is necessary to make the field buttons visible.
|Mod Version||TNG Versions||Date||Note|
|126.96.36.199 (beta)||12.0+||18Aug2019|| No significant changes to the search and display functionality.
|188.8.131.52a||12.0+||14Nov2018||No functional changes; made compatible with TNGv12.|
|184.108.40.206a||11.0+||28Dec2017|| Visibly, added "field buttons". Technical changes include
|220.127.116.11a||11.0+||30May2017||Added the Insert Links function to the Place Notes so that URLs and and FindAGrave ID's are displayed as hyperlinks. First non-beta version|
|18.104.22.168||11.0+||26May2017||Now compatible with Google Maps - More Place Levels Mod and Google maps 15. Also added the two mod parameters.|
Sites using this mod
If you download and install this mod, please add your site to the table below.
|Robin Richmond's Genealogy Database||Robin Richmond||Mod developer||22.214.171.124a||11.1.1||English|
|Our Roy and Boucher Family||Ken Roy||Modified to display correct Place Level description to support Google Maps - More Place Levels Mod and Google maps 15.||126.96.36.199||11.1.1||English, French|
|Cole / Tanner Family Tree||David Cole||Public/Private||see here||see here||English|