Difference between revisions of "Bot-Trap Mod"
(→Sites using this mod)
|Line 134:||Line 134:|
| EN, FR
| EN, FR
Revision as of 05:36, 7 March 2015
| The Bot-Trap Mod should work with any TNG version since TNG V7? when meta.php was added to the TNG package.
|Summary||Creates a honeypot or trap to block bots that do not adhere to robots.txt standards|
|Download stats||statistics for v10.1.0.1|
|Author(s)||Bryan S. Larson|
Based on the Bot-Trap tool by Daniel M. Webb
|Homepage||Bot-Trap Mod (this page)|
|Mod Support||Support for Bot-Trap|
|Contact Developer||Support for Bot-Trap|
|Latest Mod||See download links|
|Min TNG V||7.1.0|
|Max TNG V||10.1.0|
The Bot-Trap mod places a link on every page of your site that is invisible to humans, but which machines can see. Clicking on the link automatically blocks the visitor by adding an .htaccess restriction for the offending IP address. If a human is curious enough to find and visit the link, there is an easy mechanism to get removed from the list of banned IP addresses.
The way Bot-Trap works is that is adds an entry to robots.txt (and creates the file if it does not already exist) which instructs bots to avoid the bot-trap directory. If a bot does follow the robots.txt protocol, as good bots do, it will know not to visit the trap. Bad bots that do not follow robots.txt standards will see the link and visit it; thereby getting blocked via an entry to .htaccess.
The mod has optional parameters to allow webmasters to enter an email address and be alerted any time the trap is triggered and/or any time a human escapes from the trap using the escape mechanism.
This mod was developed using TNG V10.1, but should work with any version of TNG
- The TNG Bot-Trap Mod was developed and is maintained by Bryan S. Larson
- Beta testing of the original mod was done by Ken Roy and Rick Bisbee.
- A working TNG installation.
- A backup of the TNG meta.php file.
- An installed current version of the Mod Manager.
- A server that supports .htaccess (most do).
Installing Bot-Trap Mod
First time installation:
- Download the appropriate zip file for the Mod Manager configuration file
- Extract all the files in bot-trap zip file
- Upload the configuration file and the entire bot-trap folder to your mods folder.
- IMPORTANT: In many cases, the mod manager will give an error indicating that the mod cannot be installed. THIS IS NORMAL.
- You must click on the "Run Checks" button BEFORE installing the mod. This step creates the files and folders needed for the mod to work if they are not already present.
- Follow the normal automated installation for Mod Manager, as shown in the example Mod Manager - Installing Config Files to install the bot-trap file.
This mod has 4 optional parameters which can be modified using the Mod Manager Edit capability.
- Send an email alert when a new IP address is ADDED to the bot-trap: When enabled, this option causes an email to be sent to the specified email address any time a new bot is added to the IP block list. This is enabled by default, but will not work unless a valid email address is entered.
- Send an email alert when a new IP address is REMOVED to the bot-trap: When enabled, this option causes an email to be sent to the specified email address any time a blocked IP address is removed from the block list via the escape mechanism. This is enabled by default, but will not work unless a valid email address is entered.
- Email bot-trap alerts TO the following address: This is the email address where you wish to have bot-trap alerts sent.
- Email bot-trap alerts FROM the following address: This is the email address you wish to have bot-trap alerts sent from. Normally, both email addresses would be the same, but in some cases it makes sense to differentiate them.
|V10.1.0.1||6 Mar 2015||Initial release of the Bot-Trap Mod.|
Sites using this mod
If you download and install this mod, please add your TNG site to the table below
|Our Family Histories||Bryan S. Larson||Mod Developer.||v10.1.0.1||v10.1.0||EN|
|Our Roy and Boucher Families||Ken Roy||Beta tested the mod for Bryan||v10.1.0.1||v10.1.0||EN, FR|