Broad Search mod
|Broad Search mod|
|Summary||Allows quick search for a name using nicknames, aliases, married names|
|Download link||Broad Search 188.8.131.52b from
Broad Search 184.108.40.206e for
|Homepage||Broad Search mod (This page)|
|Mod Support||contact author|
|Contact Developer||contact author|
|Min TNG V||11.0.0|
|Max TNG V||11.1.0|
search.php, genlib.php, cust_text.php (supported languages), index.php (all templates), topmenu.php (some templates), templatestyle.css (template 4),
Married Name in Search Mod (incompatible)
Broad Search mod adds an option button to the quick search which generalises the search to include:
- the married name of women
- the contents of NAME events (can be changed)
- the contents of ALIA events (can be changed)
This mod is an alternative to and generalisation of Married Name in Search Mod and is incompatible with it. So you need to decide which one to use and uninstall the other before installing this module.
An extra column marked "Other name" in the results indicates the alternative string that has been used in the search. Because nicknames and aliases can include both first and last names, in some cases the string can be duplicated in this column.
Customisation is provided for all templates. It is also possible to set up the broad search as the default.
The quick search box with the broad search box ticked.
Here is an example of a search for Elizabeth Sarah. Of the five results only one person was born with the surname Sarah. For the others it was a married name.
A search for "William Sarra" shows a change of name from Sarah to Sarra. One of these was defined using ALIA and the other NAME.
This search for "Lizzie" shows that the name was more common on the birth certificate than you might expect, and only once is a nickname.
Unzip the file and put the .cfg file in the mods directory and install with the mod manager in the normal way.
Caution This mod involves a number of changes to template files such as index.php which people often change more than any other file in the TNG system. It's possible that this will cause the Mod Manager to say the mod cannot be installed. If this is the case I'll try and help if you can send me a copy of the file concerned (such as templateX/index.php).
Note For the dropdown search, this mod assumes that the setting in 'Admin > General Settings > Site Design and Definition > Search link destination' is set to "Quick Search" not to "Advanced Search". Otherwise you will only be able to use this functionality from the front page.
The quick search will search all trees unless the "Default Tree" is set in 'Admin >> Configuration >> General Settings >> Site Design and Definition'.
The behaviour of the mod can be changed in several ways by clicking on "Installed [Options]" then the "Edit options" button in the mod list.
- If you use events other than NAME and ALIA to record alternative names (e.g. AKA) then you can substitute one or the other of these. Change the name in the one of the first two boxes and click the Update button corresponding to it.
- If you want to make broad search the default method for quick searches, then you can set this up. In this case the box will appear with a tick but the user can untick it if the broad search is not wanted. You need to customise the particular template you are using. Templates vary, having a dropdown search box on pages other than the front page, but they may a menu on the front page or the top menu or both. You can choose which of these boxes are ticked.
- To set the default for the dropdown menu, put "checked" in the box for the dropdown search menu (variable $checked0) and click the Update button.
- To set the box on the front page, put "checked" in the box for the templateX/index.php file corresponding to your template and click the Update button.
- If there is a topmenu for your template then put "checked" in the box for the templateX/topmenu.php file and click the Update button.
- If you subsequently decide you don't want these set, then remove the "checked" entry and click the corresponding Update button(s).
TNG User sites using this mod
If you download and install this mod, please add your TNG sites to the table below.
|Moss Family Tree||Chris Moss||Template 5||11.0.0||EN, FR, DE|
|Roots & Relatives Remembered||Ron Krzmarzick||Public & Private minor popup change||220.127.116.11a / 11.1.1||EN,DE,CS,ES|
|Wortelboer genealogy||Bernard Wortelboer||Template 12||11.0.2||NL, EN|
|Our Roy and Boucher Family||Ken Roy||Template 4 Used this mod to replace the Married Name in Search Mod||18.104.22.168d / 11.0.2||FR, EN|
|Chamberlain & Eidenbenz Genealogy||Graham Chamberlain||Template 8 Modified to enable broad search in home-page custom search box||22.214.171.124d / 11.0.2||EN,FR,DE,ES,NL|
|racine d'Alsace||J-L Valory||Public site||126.96.36.199a||188.8.131.52b||French|
|184.108.40.206b/ 220.127.116.11e||20 Jun 2017||make XHTML 1.0 compliant and correct search for ids and searches with quotes|
|18.104.22.168a||12 Jan 2017||correct version number|
|22.214.171.124||11 Jan 2017||adjust for TNG v11.1 and regularise tick boxes|
|126.96.36.199d||15 Dec 2016||make searches in large databases efficient|
|188.8.131.52b||12 Dec 2016||correct continuation search pages & syntax error in translations|
|184.108.40.206a||11 Dec 2016||correct numbering for multiple solutions and minimise conflict with Married Name in Search Mod|