Census Plus International - Import
If you have a paid subscription to Ancestry.com, you can find the Census images and save the transcripts so they can be processed by the Census Plus International mod using an approach like the following:
The procedure for using the Census Plus International mod for Importing DOM Source from Ancestry is as follows:
- navigate to the census you wish to capture
- Click the View button on the image thumbnail
- If the index is not displayed, then click the Show Index icon (right most icon at the bottom of the screen) to display the index.
- Scroll through the Ancestry index, if the data does not look correct, refresh or reload the page before capturing the DOM Source file
- Click your right mouse button on the Index line and choose Select All
- Click your right mouse button anywhere on the page and select View Selection Source from the menu that appears.
- wait for the new window screen to be completely populated
- Click File and then Save page as in the DOM Source of Selection window to save the file as a text file in your transcriptsource directory.
There are different considerations in using the Census Plus International mod depending on whether you:
- Import a GEDCOM from a desktop genealogy program
- Use TNG as your master database
See Census Plus considerations when importing GEDCOM for additional details
Using TNG only
See Census Plus considerations when using TNG only for additional details
Import from Ancestry
If you have a paid subscription to Ancestry.com, the easiest way to obtain a census transcript is to import it.
DOM Source Capture
The following applies:
- You can only capture the DOM source in Firefox (or SeaMonkey)
- You have to expand the index table below the image
- You have to right click and click the Select All option
- You then have to right click again and click on the View Selection Source option
- You then have to click the hamburger icon (top right of the screen)
- You then have to click on the Save Page As option
- You then have to set the Save As Type option to Text files
- You can then save the file in your TNG transcriptsource with a name you can associate with the census
Note that some of the screen captures show older versions of Ancestry screens but the rules are still the same.
Note also that if you want the original misinterpreted names from index, then you should capture the DOM source before you make corrections to the locations or names. If you want the corrected information, then capture the DOM source after you make the corrections. Corrected entries will show with  brackets in the Census Transcript.
After a search for the census you are looking for, click the View Image icon to display the census image
To select the transcript for import, click the Index icon in the lower left corner of the screen.
To create the DOM Source for the census transcript, you need to
- right click on the Index heading line
- click the Select All option
- right click on the selected page
- select the View Selection Source option
Save DOM Source
To save the DOM Source file, you should
- wait for the DOM Source tab to get filled in
- select the hamburger icon
- select the Save Page as option* select a suitable folder to save your census transcript
- enter the file name you want to save it as (it should be an easily recognizable file name)
- select Text Files (*.txt) for the Save As Type
- use a .txt file name extension
- click the Save button
- close the new tab or window
- deselect the screen area in the census index
You CANNOT click the Next Image button to get to the next transcript.
You have to increment the last number in the AncestryID. For example, the URL link that is shown "See Image on Ancestry... that is in the right hand corner of the CP Display, might contain
to get to the next image you would increment the 294 to 295
Likewise to get to the previous image you would decrement the 294 to 293
NOTE: This procedure is required because of how the DOM source file is generated on Ancestry to be imported correctly by the Census Plus International mod otherwise you will get an error that indicates that the dbid is already in the database. This is because Ancestry uses the same dbid when you are navigating with the Next image button.
After saving the transcript text source file, you need to FTP the file to the TNG transcriptsource folder created by the Census Feature mod
Import DOM Source
The following are the steps for importing the saved transcript file from Ancestry.com:
- Select the Census Series for which you are doing an import
- You may need to Refresh the List of Files, in order to select the file that you FTPed to the transcriptsource folder
- if you refresh the list of files, you need to reselect the Series
- Uncheck the Delete after import? box if you want to keep the transcript file on your web site.
- Click the Import Saved Data button
After importing the census transcript from Ancestry.com, the Census Plus mod will take you through the necessary steps to update the information.
Add Household Number
You should add the Household Number to all family members in the household.
Note that if additional members are in the household, such as boarders and servants, if these people are not in your genealogy database, you should not add the household number to these people.
Link Person IDs
You should Link personIDs to everyone in the household, unless you import GEDCOMs and the people are not yet in your TNG database, in which case you should add the newly discovered family members to your desktop genealogy database first.
Link Family ID
It is also possible to link the Head of Household to a Family ID and get the Census Plus transcript displayed in the Family section.
You should leave this tab (or window) open until you are done linking the Person IDs.
Find Person to Link
When you click the Link Person button, you will be presented a form where you can Enter the PersonID directly or click the Find icon to use the TNG Find Person AJAX dialog.
Capture Image and Transcript
In order to display the census image from your web site, rather than providing a link to Ancestry.com, which requires a paid subscription for users to view the image, you should save the image with a file name that is made up of part of the URL for the dbid= and iid=. Census Plus will automatically recognize a jpg with a dbid= name. Other names need to be linked in the admin area.
Note: If you maintain your genealogy master database in a desktop program, the Census event should be created in your desktop database.
Admin Update Transcript
If you imported a census transcript and later want to make other updates, you have to use the Admin >> Census Plus International >> Update or Link IDs screens to make the changes.
You can search on the census location and Year to find the correct census to update.
Census Plus International - Import