|Downloads of Comments are restricted to logged in users. If you do not have a user account on the TNG Wiki use the Request Account link to request a user account|
|Summary||Adds an event for commenting|
|Mod Updated||22 Sep 2018|
|Homepage||Comments (this page)|
|Mod Support||TNG Community Forums: TNG Specific - Code Discussion - Addons|
|Latest Mod||188.8.131.52 - 184.108.40.206|
|Min TNG V||11.1.2|
|Max TNG V||12.x|
Purpose of the mod
An event Comments is added to
- getperson.php (if not living or private)
- familygroup.php (if not living or private)
- showmedia.php (if not living or private)
for visitors to read and add comments to the subject.
A new page is added that lists all pages with comments - link in the Find menu.
The Find menu link signals when a new comment is added to the list.
Database tables are handled in Utilities as usual (back-up, restore etc)
Visualization of this mod
If Guests are allowed to post, a Captcha and/or Admin Approval can be activated.
The captcha is only displayed until a first post is submitted, during the visit (session-cookie).
The IP is always included in the Admin mail for Guests. It is not stored anywhere else so you really shoudn't turn the "Guest-mails" off.
This mod was developed by Erik Hoppe.
See all my mods at my Wiki user page.
Credits go to manofmull, dlcole, Ken and Katryne for your invaluable tests, help, suggestions, advice and patience. Thanks!
Many thanks also to the v.2 Testers/Translators:
Dutch: Renze P
|TNG version:||≥ 11.1.2|
- A working TNG installation.
- A backup of all affected files (see the list below)
- An installed current version of the Mod Manager (is already included in TNG v10)
- Click on the download link, shown in the summary in the upper right corner of the page.
- Un-zip the file and open the folder. You will find a .cfg file and a new folder inside.
- Move/copy/FTP the .cfg file and the accompanying folder to the mods folder of your TNG system.
- Follow the normal automated installation for Mod Manager, as shown in the example Mod Manager - Installing Config Files to install the mod.
- Make the Database Update to finish the installation:
- First time install: Click the Create Comments Database Tables button
- Update from v .0 or .1: Click the Update Comments Database Tables button
In the event of a problem
- Try using the Mod Manager Remove capability
- Replace all affected files with the copies you made before the installation.
- TNG Community Forums: TNG Specific - Code Discussion - Addons
Modmanager Edit Options
- Public reading: GUESTS can read posted comments (def = false = No)
- Public posting: GUESTS can post comments (def = false = No)
- Captcha: Show captcha for GUEST when adding first comment (def = true = Yes)
- Approval: GUESTS' posts must be approved by the Administrator (def = true = Yes)
- Approval: USERS' posts must be approved by the Administrator (def = false = No)
- Event: Always show the Comments event (def = false = No)
- Admin Mail: Admin receives mails for GUEST-posted comments (def = true = Yes)
- Admin Mail: Admin receives mails for USER-posted commenta (def = true = Yes)
- Page-select: Include the Comments event in getperson.php (def = true = Yes)
- Page-select: Include the Comments event in familygroup.php (def = true = Yes)
- Page-select: Include the Comments event in placesearch.php (def = true = Yes)
- Page-select: Include the Comments event in showmedia.php (def = true = Yes)
Supported languages, if present, other than English:
Custom Text Additions
The config file includes the English language custom text.
There are French and Swedish translations if they are present in your TNG system.
For other languages you can modify the config file to add the custom text or manually add to whatever language you like.
(English custom text for reference)
Explanation for the limitations in the last three texts:
If your (private) .cfg serves only one character set and you save it in that same set, this is not a problem for you.
The distributed .cfg serves two character sets (UTF-8 and ANSI), therefore HTML-entities have to be used for umlauted and accented letters, for example
ä = ä, é = é etc, otherwise strange characters will be displayed in one of the two character sets.
Uninstalling the mod
If you want to completely Remove (uninstall) this mod and all its tables, you should
- click the Uninstall button.
- click the Remove Comments Database Tables buttons.
- click the Delete button to delete the config file and its folder from the mods folder.
(v.1 was never public)
|14 Sep 2018|| The list-page is MOVED to the FIND-menu! (A more natural place, right?)|
Many additions and Edit options, such as Public reading and writing, Dutch and German translations (thanks Renze and JPB!) and more.
|14 Sep 2018||Introduction|
Sites using this mod
If you download and install this mod, you can support it by adding your TNG site to this table:
|Andersson, Hoppe, Sahlin, Thorell||Erik Hoppe||Mod author||Private version||11.1.2||SE, GB, DE|
|Cole / Tanner Family Tree||David Cole||Public/Private||see here||see here||English|
|Familiestamboom.frl||Renze Petersohn||Public/Private||220.127.116.11||12.0.1||NL, UK, DE|
|MyMispoche Genealogy||Carlton Brooks||Public and Private||18.104.22.168||12.0.1||EN|
|Kemp(e) Family History||Andrew Kemp||Public||22.214.171.124||12.0.3||EN|
TNG Modules Impacted
The following TNG Modules are modified, and should be backed up prior to installing this mod:
The custom texts will be added to these files, which should also be backed up prior to installing this mod:
- languages/Dutch/cust_text.php - if present
- languages/Dutch-UTF8/cust_text.php - if present
- languages/French/cust_text.php - if present
- languages/French-UTF8/cust_text.php - if present
- languages/German/cust_text.php - if present
- languages/German-UTF8/cust_text.php - if present
- languages/Swedish/cust_text.php - if present
- languages/Swedish-UTF8/cust_text.php - if present