Difference between revisions of "Count Descendants"
(→Sites using this mod)
|Line 175:||Line 175:|
| Public site
| Public site
| NL, EN
| NL, EN
Revision as of 15:30, 15 April 2016
|Summary||Counts the descendants of a person, and prints a report broken down by generation.|
|Homepage||Robin Richmond's Genealogy Database|
|Mod Support||My Mod Support form or TNG Community Forums|
|Contact Developer||My Mod Support form|
|Latest Mod||10.0.0.5 & 10.1.0.5|
|Min TNG V||10.0|
|Max TNG V||10.1.1|
updates descend.php, descendtext.php, desctracker.php, register.php, tngrobots.php, languages/English/cust_text.php, languages/English-UTF8/cust_text.php
Purpose of the Mod
To display a count of a person's descendants, broken out by generation. Version 9 and above eliminate duplicates caused when cousins marry each other, and displays information about married cousins and people who have two or more sets of parents.
- This mod installs descendcount.php, and places a link to descendcount.php on the "inner menu" (that is, the horizontal text menu just below the tab bar) on Descendant pages (the various types of descendant charts).
- descendcount.php was derived from descendtext.php, but there are some important differences (other than the obvious differences in report content):
- When cousins marry, their descendants are displayed twice by descendtext.php, but descendcount.php counts them only once.
- If the number of generations processed is limited by a generation count, descendtext.php does not display spouses in the last generation. But descendcount.php scans one more generation than the limit calls for, so it can count those spouses.
- If invoked from the inner menu of another descendancy program, descendtext.php receives an initial value for the number of generations to process. But descendcount.php does not; it always starts by processing all generations, and then it can pass a generations parameter to itself.
More on "duplicates"
The mod now keeps track of everyone it counts to that it can avoid duplicate counts. It expects some duplicates when cousins marry cousins, and simply counts all descendants of such marriages once.
Note that, when cousins marry, they are counted both as a descendant, and as a spouse. The program keeps track of "Descendants who married a cousin" so that users who really want to count unique people can adjust the count accordingly. And the program has the option to show who those married cousins are. (This in not limited to first cousins.)
The program also keeps track of "descendants who have two sets of parents". Such people are encountered twice in the scan for descendants, but they are counted only once. In the screen shot below, there is one such person who is there because he was adopted by his mother's second husband. But when I first ran this version of the program, it listed a couple of other people who had multiple sets of parents because of bad data. So really, "Descendants who have two sets of parents" are displayed mostly to reveal possible bad data.
This mod coordinates with TextPlus Charts in the following way:
- This mod's descendcount.php displays a hyperlink to descendtextplus.php if and only if descendtextplus.php is present (when descendcount.php is run, not when it is installed).
- Starting with version 9 of TextPlus Charts, descendtextplus.php displays a hyperlink to descendcount.php if and only if descendcount.php is present (when descendtextplus.php run, not when it is installed).
Compatibility with other mods
No conflicts that I know of. Most of the installation problems that have been reported to me have been caused by corruption of these two comment lines, which should be near the beginning of almost every cust_text.php file.
//Put your own custom messages here, like this: //$text[messagename] = "This is the message";
- A working TNG installation.
- An installed current version of the Mod Manager.
- Remove and delete previous version of this mod.
- Backup the files updated by this mod. They are listed in the panel at the upper right.
- Download the .zip file. Extract and upload both the .cfg file and the subfolder to you mods folder.
- Follow the normal automated installation for Mod Manager, as shown in the article Mod Manager - Installing Config Files.
In the event of a problem
Visualization of this Mod
Mod Change History
|Mod Version||TNG Version||Date||Note|
|Count Descendants v6||10.0 - 10.1.1||25 May 2015|| Moved the "Count" innermenu link from before the "PDF" link to the end of the inner menu, to avoid conflicts with a new mod.|
Added a right-justified footer that displays the program name and version number.
For the TNGv10 variant only, fixed the database calls that were broken in v5 of the mod.
|Languages v5||10.0 - 10.1.1||25 May 2015||Small changes to German translation; added HTML entities to German non-UTF8.|
|Count Descendants v5||10.0 - 10.1.1||1 May 2015||Martin Pannier found two HTML typos that caused the copyright footer to be mispositioned.|
|v4a & languages file||10.0 - 10.1.1||30 Apr 2015|| - The base mod with English strings is unchanged.|
- The Danish, German, and Dutch translations are in a separate file.
- Adds the option in Administration >> Setup >> Charts to allow Count Descendants to be the default descendants chart, and
|v4||10.0 - 10.1.1||18 Apr 2015|| - A new, more understandable (and more translatable) way of displaying special counts below the table of descendant counts,|
- Handles Danish terminology that counts great*(n)grandparents differently,
|v3||10.0 - 10.1.1||15 Apr 2015||Eliminated the duplicates caused when cousins marry each other, and displays other duplicates.|
|v2||10.0 - 10.1.1||12Apr2015||Bernard Wortelboer added Dutch translations and caught some untranslated strings.|
|v1||10.0 - 10.1||4Apr2015||Initial Release|
Sites using this mod
If you download and install this mod, please add your site to the table below.
|Robin Richmond's Genealogy Database||Robin Richmond||Mod developer||10.1.0.5||10.1.1||English|
|Brady Family Tree in Western Australia||Darryl Brady||Public site||10.1.0.6||10.1.1||EN, DE|
|MOTYER Family Genealogy||John Mark Motyer||Public site||see here||see here||EN, DE, RU|
|Wortelboer Genealogy||Bernard Wortelboer||Public site||10.1.0.6||11.0.0||NL, EN|
|DJCM.DK||Claus Martinussen||Public site||10.1.0.6||10.1.3||DA, EN|
|Kemp(e) Family History||Andrew Kemp||Public site||see User:Kempons||see User:Kempons||EN|
|Kleinmann Genealogy||John Kleinmann||10.1.0.6||11.0||EN|