Custom Counters Mod
|Downloads of Custom Counters Mod are restricted to logged in users. If you do not have a user account on the TNG Wiki use the Request Account link to request a user account|
|Custom Counters Mod|
|Summary||Displays a selectable range of counters on the horizontal menu bar.|
|Validation||The mod is XHTML compliant.|
|Mod Updated||4 May 2020|
|Download link||Counters Mod v22.214.171.124
|Download stats||See download statistics|
|Homepage||Custom Counters Mod (This page)|
|Mod Support||TNG Community Forums|
|Min TNG V||Not tested on pre 10 versions of TNG|
|Max TNG V||12.3|
This mod was developed to enable the display of a selectable set of counters on the horizontal menu row (see clip below). They include:
- Total number of individuals in your database.
- Date of latest update to a person in your database.
- Total number of photos available on your site.
- Total number of media items available on your site.
- A link to 'Bookmarks' and a counter if Bart's Persistent Bookmarks mod is installed.
This is how the installed mod looks with all the available counters enabled. (Customized template 12.)
To see this mod live, go to my website.
- If your site visitor is logged in and has an entry in the database, clicking on the people group icon will take the user directly to their own page. If they are not logged in, they will be taken to your 'surnames' page.
- Hovering over any of the counters shows a tool-tip of what the counter is displaying.
- Clicking on the calendar icon will take the visitor directly to your 'What's New' page.
- Clicking on the camera icon will take the visitor directly to your 'photos' page.
- Clicking on the folder icon will take the visitor directly to the 'all media' page.
- Clicking on the star icon will take the visitor to your 'bookmarks' page, but if you have installed the Persistent Bookmarks mod, a counter will indicate how many bookmarks have been saved by the currently logged-in user. If the visitor is not logged in, the counter will not be shown.
How to use
To enable or disable any counter, go to Admin | Mods and use the "Edit" facility in the Mod Manager.
Roger Mitchell with some coding help from Ulf Klinteberg. Minor updates by Brent Hemphill
- A working TNG installation.
- An installed current version of the Mod Manager
- Download the zip file from the download links in the mod summary area in the upper right.
- Extract the contents of the zip file into your mods folder and upload to your site.
- Follow the normal automated installation for Mod Manager, as shown in the example Mod Manager - Installing Config Files to install the chosen cfg file.
- Use the mod "Edit" function to enable or disable the counters you want to use. All available counters are enabled by default.
Custom Text Additions
Only English and English-UTF8 text variables are supplied with the mod. To use other languages, it will be necessary for your own translations to be added to the relevant language folders in your cust_text.php files.
The following custom text entries need to be created in your language, if you use languages other than English.
// Inserted by Counters Mod $text['totalindividuals'] = "Total Individuals"; $text['totalmedia'] = "Total Media Items"; $text['totalphotos'] = "Total Photos"; $text['yourbookmarks'] = "Your Bookmarks"; $text['mypage'] = "Click for 'Your' Page"; $text['cwhatsnew'] = "Date of the latest person update. Click the calendar icon (left) to see what's new"; $text['cwhatsnewicon'] = "Click here to see what's new";
In the event of a problem with your TNG site
- Try using the Mod Manager Remove capability, or
- Restore backup copies of: genlib.php; genstyle.css; languages/English/cust_text.php; languages/English-UTF8/cust_text.php. Delete counters.php from your extensions folder and delete the mods/counters folder.
|v10.0.0.0||29 May 2014||Initial release|
|v10.0.0.1||01 June 2014||
|v10.1.0.0||12 January 2015||
Upgraded for use with TNG 10.1.
|v126.96.36.199||4 May 2020||
Updated for TNG 12 language locations. Also fixed some PHP notices.
TNG User sites using this mod
If you download and install this mod, please add your TNG sites to the table below
|Mitchell Families Online||Roger Mitchell||Mod developer||V10.0.0.1 & 10.1.0.0||10.0.3 & 10.1.0 beta 3||EN|
|Hooley Family Links||Rick Hooley||Public/Private||See Here||See Here||EN|
|My family||monochrome version||see here||D,(NL),(GB)|
|Brady Family Tree in Western Australia||Darryl Brady||Public site||10.1.0.0||11.0.1||EN, DE|
|Quigley Doyle Family Tree||Don Quigley||Public Site||10.1.0.0||11.0.0||EN|
|Adler-Wien||Herbert Fischer||Public site||10.1.0.0 (modified)||11.0.0||DE,(EN)|
|The Dutton's of Vermont||Darrin Dutton||Public site||10.1.0.0 (modified)||11.0.1||(EN)|
|Lloyd & Lucas - A Merging of Interests||Chris Lloyd||Public site||10.1.0.0||12.0.1||(EN)|
|Auf den Spuren meiner Vorfahren||UHaase||Public/Private||10.1.3.0||12.2||DE,EN|