Direct Line Search
|End of Line Search|
|Summary||Modifies search page to add "search my line" and "search no parent" checkboxes to the search page. In V12 it just adds the search end of lines choice because branch searches have been enabled.|
|Author(s)||A. S. DuPree|
|Homepage||Direct_Line_Search (this page)|
|Mod Support||TNG Community Forums|
|Min TNG V||11 ?|
|Max TNG V||12|
The latest version only adds the end of line search
The Direct Line Search Mod can be used as a stand alone or in conjunction with the Bold Ancestor Child Links mod to identify direct and end-of-line ancestors where many of us want to focus our attention.
In larger and larger databases, it can be frustrating to hone in attention on direct line ancestors. The Bold Ancestor Child Links Mod (thanks Roger) has been tremendously useful in this task because it gives visual clues to the user.
The Direct Line Search Mod simply puts two checkboxes on the search page to limit search results to
- Search end of lines (children but no parents): people in the database who have children but do not have parents (identifying the ends of family research lines), and
- (Version 11 only) Search my lines (Ancestors Branch): those you have labelled as "Ancestors" using the branch search function in the admin panel
- For Version 12 (Tng v 12 and above), a branch search function has been enabled on the search form. If you have ancestors (or anything else) in a branch, simply choose the correct branch and use in conjunction with the search end of lines checkbox above.
Each box can be used alone - for example searching with just Search my lines (Ancestors Branch) gives only direct line ancestors with whatever other search criteria is provided. And searching with Search end of lines (children but no parents) alone will identify the top of any line (as well as one person lines, e.g. the unresearched spouses of lines you are researching.)
Once installed, the checkbox for "Search end of lines (children but no parents)" will NOT appear unless you have individuals in a branch marked as (ID) "Ancestors" (hopefully, containing your direct line ancestors as the Bold Ancestor Child Links mod requires - it will work without that mod but not without a branch identified as "Ancestors"). The checkbox will also not appear if you have more than one branch labelled ancestors (say you have one in several trees). Finally, it will not appear for someone who does not have access to the tree with the appropriate branch. Figuring all of this out, was way above my skill level, so please let me know if you have issues or better solutions.
As it stands the mod (if you have labelled your Ancestor branch) can easily restrict searches to the earliest direct ancestors (End of Line).
For example, if you want to quickly identify your oldest living "Johnson" Ancestor, simply search for last name "Johnson" and check both Search no parents and Search my lines (Ancestors Branch).
What this looks like on your individuals search page:
This mod was developed by A.S. DuPree (a novice, happy for any help on improving it)
- A working TNG installation. This has only been tested on TNG V 11.0.1 to TNG V 12.0.3
- A branch ID called "Ancestors" (in which you have identified direct line ancestors) - or use with any branch.
- An installed current version of the Mod Manager.
- Removed branch search (now redundant).
- Fixed single = in if statements
- Download the zip file in the status area in the upper right.
- Extract the direct_line_search.zip to your mod folder.
- Follow the normal automated installation for Mod Manager, as shown in the example Mod Manager - Installing Config Files to install the direct_line_search.cfg.
Conflicts and Issues
I have not found any conflicts or issues with this mod but I suspect there may be some. Please let me know if you find any. The language is ONLY in English.
In the event of a problem with your TNG site
- Try using the Mod Manager to Remove the mod
Sites using this mod
If you download and install this mod, please add your TNG site to the table below:
|Adupree.com||A.S. DuPree||Mod Developer||18.104.22.168||11.0.1||English|
|Genealogy of the Weir and Drain Families||Beverley Stimpson||Public Site||22.214.171.124||11.1.2||ENGLISH|
|Roots & Relatives Remembered||Ron Krzmarzick||Public & Private, thx for v12 update!||126.96.36.199||See Here||EN,DE,CS,ES|