Forum for TNG
|Downloads of Forum for TNG are restricted to logged in users. If you do not have a user account on the TNG Wiki use the Request Account link to request a user account|
|Forum for TNG|
|Summary||Adds a forum system to TNG, for logged in users|
|Validation||The mod is XHTML compliant.|
|Mod Updated||24 Feb 2018|
|Download stats||Forum for TNG|
|Homepage||Forum for TNG (this page)|
|Mod Support||My Mod Support|
|Contact Developer||My Mod Support|
|Latest Mod||10.1.3.4 for TNG v10.1.3|
18.104.22.168 for TNG v11.0.1 and above
|Min TNG V||10.1.3|
|Max TNG V||12.x|
Purpose of the mod
This mod adds a forum system to your TNG installation.
You may setup one forum or as many as you like.
The forum(s) can only be accessed by logged-in users so there is no register or login procedure.
A demo is found here Forum Demo
The system has been tested in TNG v10.1.3, 11.0.1 - 11.1.2 - 12.0.
Please report other versions. Thanks.
Integrated into TNG
The forum system acts as a part of your TNG installation:
- The forum can only be accessed by your logged-in users
- Users don't have to register or log in to the forum
- TNG design and template colours are used
- The Forum link is found in the Info dropdown menu
- A Forum link can appear at your index page, if there is no dropdown menu, with a separate mod (enclosed)
- The "New post" signal appears in the menu heading and the menu link - also at the index page if used (see above)
- Users with a registred (in TNG) e-mail can watch threads (receive a message about new posts).
- You can create threads and full forums only visible for Editors and/or Administrators
- Database tables are handled in Utilities (Backup, Restore...)
- Add a personID (Ixxx or Pxxx) or familyID (Fxxx) to a post:
There will be a header / link added to the post:
Individ or Family will have an Event Forum = link to the thread, in getperson.php:
This mod was developed by Erik Hoppe
My sincere Thank You to these persons who translated the almost 200 entries in the language file:
- Danish: Mogens C. Fenger
- Dutch: Marco van den Heuvel
- French: Christophe Potié
- German: Hendrik Martius
My sincere Thank You to these persons who have been brave enough to install and run the beta and alpha versions and then reported back to me:
- Mogens C. Fenger
- Marco van den Heuvel
- Hendrik Martius
- Christophe Potié
- Ken Roy
Do you use more than one language at your site?
This "bi-lingual" forum gives you and your users the option to use two languages concurrently.
A second language may be selected for users who don't use your site default language.
The result is, that not only TNG and the forum interface are translated but also forum names, texts and posts - if they are written in two languages.
Instead of a post in two languages, say Swedish and English, the user will only see the Swedish or English text.
I use it especially in a forum where I collect instructions and "how-to"s for the site.
The English reading user doesn't have to see a lot of Swedish instructional text and vice versa.
You will probably understand much better if you go to my Forum demo (click "Enter forums"): Eveything is in Swedish.
Click the English flag up left and everything is in English: Not only the TNG parts and the forum interface but also the forum names and descriptive texts.
Open the "Help" forum and f.ex. the "Help for forum" thread. Again switch language...
Note that the system is not prepared for adding or subtracting languages after the installation.
But also note that even if you set the system up for two languages, you and your users don't have to use two languages anywhere (with one small exception, once in install, for you).
- It's always optional.
|TNG version:||≥ 10.1.3|
- A working TNG installation.
- A backup of all affected files (see the list below)
- An installed current version of the Mod Manager (is already included in TNG v10.1.3)
Before Install or Un-install
Regarding the Public Access Control mod:
If you are going to install or un-install the Public Access Control mod, the Forum mod should be UN-INSTALLED first.
The Forum mod can be re-installed after the PAC mod is installed or un-installed.
NOTE that the PAC mod may signal Partially installed when the Forum mod is installed: This is normal. Do not Clean up or un-install!
Installation and First Forum setup
- Click on the download link, shown in the summary in the upper right corner of the page.
- You will receive a zipped file. Unzip it and open the folder.
- Inside you will find:
* A file named READ_THIS_vX.X.X.X.txt <== Important!
* A ModManager config file: forum_for_tng_mod_vX.X.X.X.cfg
* A ModManager config file: count_ancestors_descendants_mod_v10.1.1.3e.cfg
* A folder named forum_for_tng_mod_vX.X.X.X
* A folder named Forum_link_to_index_Mods_vX.X.X.X
* A folder named ForumIcons_Save_on_PC
- Open the READ_THIS_vX.X.X.X.txt file and read it, so you understand WHAT, WHEN and HOW to use the contents.
- When the correct files are uploaded to the mods folder at your server...
* NEW INSTALL:
Follow the instructions in Forum For TNG - The Admin Manual
The four necessary steps - Install, Create, Set up and Release - are fully explained. Plus a lot more.
* UPDATE TO v 5: (TNG v11)
- Un-install your current version. Do not click any other button.
- Install this version and then click only the Update button. There is a change to the database making this necessary.
- Update the Modmanager Edit Options if you have changed "180".
In the event of a problem
- Try using the Mod Manager Remove capability.
- Replace all affected files with the copies you made before the installation of the mod.
- Contact me through My Mod Support.
Modmanager Option to set
Deleted Threads and Posts will have a header or text showing they are deleted.
It will automatically disappear - be totally deleted - after 180 days (whenever a user opens your Forum startpage).
You can edit this value in the Modmanager Edit Options and set it to whatever you like.
Set to 0 (zero) it is removed immediately.
After releasing your forum(s)
When you have released your forums to your users:
Do NOT use any of the two custom buttons in ModManager! Simply don't. Ever. Period.
If you later enter the Setup & Edit forum panel and you also open the ModManager, it will signal "Partially installed":
This is correct! Do NOT try to clean up or remove the mod.
Close ModManager and return to the Setup & Edit forum panel.
When you finish the editing and release the forum, ModManager will signal OK.
Locked out: A back-door
If you enter the Setup & Edit forum panel you lock the forum(s) so they can't be accessed. Not even by you, although you can still test what you set up or edit.
When finished, you are supposed to use the Release the forum(s) button to unlock everything.
Should you instead, by accident, close the tab/window there is a back-door:
Go to the public part of your site, logged-in as Administrator (you probably were) you simply select the Forum link. You will then open the startpage and everything is unlocked.
Also for your users.
Uninstalling the mod
- Use the ModManager "Uninstall" button.
If you want to completely delete the forum(s) you should, after the above, also
- use the "...completely DELETE the forum(s)" button
- and then the ModManager Remove button
Did you miss the link above, under Install?
Here it is again: Forum For TNG - The Admin Manual
There is also a rather complete USER'S MANUAL in the DEMO forum (Select English by the flag top-left)
Some minor things are different but most is the same. Check it out!
Custom Text Additions
The system includes the English language custom text.
There are Danish, Dutch, French, German and Swedish translations if they are present in your TNG system.
Those language files are stored in a separate language folder forum_languages.
There are almost 200 entries in each file... - Please volonteer to translate.
The cust_text.php files are also somewhat modified.
Add your suggestions here.
I'm not saying that I will implement any of them myself - a lot of time has already been spent on this project and I do have a site and a life also :D
If you are willing to realize any of these suggestions: Please: Feel free to do it!
- Bill Walton: A real editor instead of the text input field.
I agree that the Nicedit editor used by TNG would be nice to implement.
I tried to do it but couldn't make it work properly (pure incompetence...) and so I thought:
"Shall they post messages in a forum or nicely formatted articles?" and decided to not put more time into that part myself.
- Bill Walton: Sub-forums.
This was never in my mind until you suggested it.
I guess this will be a major change as at least one new table must be introduced and perhaps a lot of code-changes.
- DONE! Bill Walton/Erik Hoppe: Automatically remove deleted threads and posts from the database.
- Erik Hoppe: The Setup & Edit forum panel should be moved to Admin >> Setup >> General Settings and be somewhat re-designed.
- Bill Walton: A Forum-Admin level of rights, separate from TNG Admin.
- DONE! v11 manofmull: An ID box like in the thread-start post, in all posts.
- PARTLY DONE! v11Bill Walton: One or more images placed wherever I like. (Align left-center-right)
- DONE! v11 Jeff: I would like to see the mandatory "read me first" section removed from the admin side because it isn't necessary. You can not create a forum without having to add a "read me first" post under each forum. The admin should be able to create a forum and then if he/she decides to add a specific "read me first" post for a particular forum, he/she could do it from the front side.
|v22.214.171.124||24 Feb 2018|| Read the Install instructions at the Wiki page!|
Create new forums w/o a starting thread. No "sticky" thread needed. Forums can be empty (you can delete also the last thread in a forum). Add person or family ID to all posts. Align image left/center/right. Reported errors corrected (thanks to Dave Cole). Other errors found and corrected.
|10 Jan 2018|| The Dec 7 version included an old file making NEW install impossible. Did not affect updates.|
THANK YOU Ray W. for the alert, and patience.
|7 Dec 2017|| The thread name was missing in Watch-mails.|
Also now trim() the in- and output in the startpost ID-box (sadly, there may be spaces).
|v10.1.3.2||9 Jul 2017|| The 10.1.3.1 version could not install properly!|
Please accept my apologies for the delay and any inconvenience.
|v126.96.36.199||7 Jul 2017|| The 188.8.131.52 version could not install properly! Thanks to Randal Suire and Andy Rintoul.|
Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience.
|3 Jul 2017||
|27 May 2017||Version 0 released|
|V10.1.3.alfa0||18 March 2017||First alfa release is public|
Visualization of this mod (v184.108.40.206 at my site)
|It's actually best shown by the Forum demo here Select a role and click "Enter Forum"|
Sites using this mod
If you download, install and enjoy this mod, please add your TNG site to the table below:
|Forum DEMO||Erik Hoppe||Mod Author||220.127.116.11 (modf)||11.1.2||EN, DE, SE|
|Byberry Waltons||Bill Walton||Need Log in||18.104.22.168||11.1.2||English|
|Cook, Garza, Harms, Leake||Klaus Dieter Cook||Need Log in||22.214.171.124||11.1.||EN, DE|
|racine d'Alsace||J-Louis Valory||Public/Private - Template 1||126.96.36.199||11.1.1||French|
|Our Acadian Family||Randal Suire||Public/Media Private||188.8.131.52||11.1.2||English, French|
|Where's Waldo||Ray Waldo||Private||184.108.40.206||11.1.2||English|
|Cole / Tanner Family Tree||David Cole||Private Site||220.127.116.11||11.1.2||English|
TNG Modules Impacted
The following TNG Modules are modified, and should be backed up prior to installing this mod:
- If you use a Forum_link_to_index_mod: templates/templateX/index.php
- languages/Danish/cust_text.php - if present
- languages/Danish-UTF(/cust_text.php - if present
- languages/Dutch/cust_text.php - if present
- languages/Dutch-UTF8/cust_text.php - if present
- languages/French/cust_text.php - if present
- languages/French-UTF8/cust_text.php - if present
- languages/German/cust_text.php - if present
- languages/German-UTF8/cust_text.php - if present
- languages/Swedish/cust_text.php - if present
- languages/Swedish-UTF8/cust_text.php - if present