Difference between revisions of "Forum for TNG"
(Small corrections only)
(→Sites using this mod)
|Line 211:||Line 211:|
| EN, DE
| EN, DE
Revision as of 11:13, 24 June 2017
|Downloads of Forum for TNG are restricted to logged in users. If you do not have a user account on the TNG Wiki use the Request Account link to request a user account|
|Forum for TNG|
|Summary||Adds a forum system to TNG, for logged in users|
|Validation||The mod is XHTML compliant.|
|Download stats||Forum for TNG|
|Homepage||Forum for TNG (this page)|
|Mod Support||My Mod Support|
|Contact Developer||My Mod Support|
|Latest Mod||10.1.3.0 for TNG v10.1.3|
18.104.22.168 for TNG v11.0.1 - 11.1.x
(Please report other TNG versions)
|Min TNG V||10.1.3|
|Max TNG V||11.1.x|
Purpose of the mod
This mod adds a forum system to your TNG installation.
You may setup one forum or as many as you like.
The forum(s) can only be accessed by logged-in users so there is no register or login procedure.
A demo is found here Forum Demo
The system has been tested in TNG v10.1.3, 11.0.1 and 11.1.0.
Please report other versions. Thanks.
THERE IS NO UPDATE VERSION FROM BETA OR ALPHA!
(Testers and translators are excluded)
Unfortunately there's too much involved.
If you have installed a public Alpha or Beta version:
- Uninstall it
- Delete everything "forum" from your customconfig.php file
- Delete the forum folder
The tables will be deleted in the init process.
I'm sorry for this but you were warned (and you never contacted me).
Integrated into TNG
The forum system acts as a part of your TNG installation:
- The forum can only be accessed by your logged-in users
- Users don't have to register or log in to the forum
- TNG design and template colours are used
- The Forum link is found in the Info dropdown menu
- A Forum link can appear at your index page, if there is no dropdown menu, with a separate mod (enclosed)
- The "New post" signal appears in the menu heading and the menu link - also at the index page if used (see above)
- Users with a registred (in TNG) e-mail can watch threads (receive a message about new posts).
- You can create threads and full forums only visible for Editors and/or Administrators
- Database tables are handled in Utilities (Backup, Restore...)
- Add a personID (Ixxx or Pxxx) or familyID (Fxxx) to the thread-start post:
There will be a header / link added to the post:
Individ or Family will have an Event Forum = link to the thread, in getperson.php:
This mod was developed by Erik Hoppe
My sincere Thank You to these persons who translated the almost 200 entries in the language file:
- Danish: Mogens C. Fenger
- Dutch: Marco van den Heuvel
- French: Christophe Potié
- German: Hendrik Martius
My sincere Thank You to these persons who have been brave enough to install and run the beta and alpha versions and then reported back to me:
- Mogens C. Fenger
- Marco van den Heuvel
- Hendrik Martius
- Christophe Potié
- Ken Roy
Do you use more than one language at your site?
This "bi-lingual" forum gives you and your users the option to use two languages concurrently.
A second language may be selected for users who don't use your site default language.
The result is, that not only TNG and the forum interface are translated but also forum names, texts and posts - if they are written in two languages.
Instead of a post in two languages, say Swedish and English, the user will only see the Swedish or English text.
I use it especially in a forum where I collect instructions and "how-to"s for the site.
The English reading user doesn't have to see a lot of Swedish instructional text and vice versa.
You will probably understand much better if you go to my Forum demo (click "Enter forums"): Eveything is in Swedish.
Click the English flag up left and everything is in English: Not only the TNG parts and the forum interface but also the forum names and descriptive texts.
Open the "Help" forum and f.ex. the "Help for forum" thread. Again switch language...
Note that the system is not prepared for adding or subtracting languages after the installation.
But also note that even if you set the system up for two languages, you and your users don't have to use two languages anywhere (with one small exception, once in install, for you).
- It's always optional.
|TNG version:||≥ 10.1.3|
- A working TNG installation.
- A backup of all affected files (see the list below)
- An installed current version of the Mod Manager (is already included in TNG v10.1.3)
Installation and First Forum setup
- Click on the download link, shown in the summary in the upper right corner of the page.
- You will receive a zipped file. Unzip it and open the folder.
- Inside you will find:
* A file named READ_THIS_vX.X.X.X.txt <== Important!
* A ModManager config file: forum_for_tng_mod_vX.X.X.X.cfg
* A ModManager config file: CountAncestorsDescendants_mod_v10.1.1.3c.cfg
* A folder named forum_for_tng_mod_vX.X.X.X
* A folder named Forum_link_to_index_Mods_vX.X.X.X
* A folder named ForumIcons_Save_on_PC
- Open the READ_THIS_vX.X.X.X.txt file and read it, so you understand WHAT, WHEN and HOW to use the contents.
- When the correct files are uploaded to the mods folder at your server,
follow the instructions in Forum For TNG - The Admin Manual
The four necessary steps - Install, Create, Set up and Release - are fully explained. Plus a lot more.
In the event of a problem
- Try using the Mod Manager Remove capability.
- Replace all affected files with the copies you made before the installation of the mod.
- Contact me through My Mod Support.
After releasing your forum(s)
When you have released your forums to your users:
Do NOT use any of the two custom buttons in ModManager! Simply don't. Ever. Period.
If you later enter the Setup & Edit forum panel and you also open the ModManager, it will signal "Partially installed":
This is correct! Do NOT try to clean up or remove the mod.
Close ModManager and return to the Setup & Edit forum panel.
When you finish the editing and release the forum, ModManager will signal OK.
Locked out: A back-door
If you enter the Setup & Edit forum panel you lock the forum(s) so they can't be accessed. Not even by you, although you can still test what you set up or edit.
When finished, you are supposed to use the Release the forum(s) button to unlock everything.
Should you instead, by accident, close the tab/window there is a back-door:
Go to the public part of your site, logged-in as Administrator (you probably were) you simply select the Forum link. You will then open the startpage and everything is unlocked.
Also for your users.
Uninstalling the mod
- Use the ModManager "Uninstall" button.
If you want to completely delete the forum(s) you should, after the above, also
- use the "...completely DELETE the forum(s)" button
- and then the ModManager Remove button
Did you miss the link above, under Install?
Here it is again: Forum For TNG - The Admin Manual
There is also a rather complete USER'S MANUAL in the DEMO forum (Select English by the flag top-left)
Some minor things are different but most is the same. Check it out!
Custom Text Additions
The system includes the English language custom text.
There are Danish, Dutch, French, German and Swedish translations if they are present in your TNG system.
Those language files are stored in a separate language folder forum_languages.
There are almost 200 entries in each file... - Please volonteer to translate.
The cust_text.php files are also somewhat modified.
Add your suggestions here.
I'm not saying that I will implement any of them myself - a lot of time has already been spent on this project and I do have a site and a life also :D
If you are willing to realize any of these suggestions: Please: Feel free to do it!
- Bill Walton: A real editor instead of the text input field.
I agree that the Nicedit editor used by TNG would be nice to implement.
I tried to do it but couldn't make it work properly (pure incompetence...) and so I thought:
"Shall they post messages in a forum or nicely formatted articles?" and decided to not put more time into that part myself.
- Bill Walton: Sub-forums.
This was never in my mind until you suggested it.
I guess this will be a major change as at least one new table must be introduced and perhaps a lot of code-changes.
- Bill Walton/Erik Hoppe: Automatically remove deleted threads and posts from the database.
There is in reality only one thing stopping me: What time-limit should be used?
A Modmanager parameter, perhaps, for number of months..?
- Erik Hoppe: The Setup & Edit forum panel should be moved to Admin >> Setup >> General Settings and be somewhat re-designed.
- Erik Hoppe: Event Forum also at the familygroup.php page
- Bill Walton: A Forum-Admin level of rights, separate from TNG Admin.
- manofmull: An ID box like in the thread-start post, in all posts.
- Bill Walton: One or more images placed wherever I like.
|27 May 2017||Version 0 released|
|V10.1.3.alfa0||18 March 2017||First alfa release is public|
Visualization of this mod (v10.1.3.0 at my site)
|It's actually best shown by the Forum demo here Select a role and click "Enter Forum"|
Sites using this mod
If you download, install and enjoy this mod, please add your TNG site to the table below:
|Andersson, Hoppe, Sahlin, Thorell||Erik Hoppe||Demo Forum||10.1.3.0||10.1.3||EN, DE, SE|
|Byberry Waltons||Bill Walton||Need Log in||22.214.171.124||11.1.1||English|
|Cook, Garza, Harms, Leake||Klaus Dieter Cook||Need Log in||126.96.36.199||11.1.||EN, DE|
|racine d'Alsace||J-Louis Valory||Public/Private - Template 1||188.8.131.52||11.1.1||French|
TNG Modules Impacted
The following TNG Modules are modified, and should be backed up prior to installing this mod:
- If you use a Forum_link_to_index_mod: templates/templateX/index.php
- languages/Danish/cust_text.php - if present
- languages/Danish-UTF(/cust_text.php - if present
- languages/Dutch/cust_text.php - if present
- languages/Dutch-UTF8/cust_text.php - if present
- languages/French/cust_text.php - if present
- languages/French-UTF8/cust_text.php - if present
- languages/German/cust_text.php - if present
- languages/German-UTF8/cust_text.php - if present
- languages/Swedish/cust_text.php - if present
- languages/Swedish-UTF8/cust_text.php - if present