Gedcom Import Purge
|Gedcom Import Purge|
|Summary||Causes the Gedcom Import Process to delete Medialinks records that have been deleted in the source database, and to retain some Places records that otherwise would be purged.|
|Mod Updated||15 May 2018|
|Homepage||Robin Richmond's Genealogy Database|
|Mod Support||My Mod Support form or TNG Community Forums|
|Contact Developer||My Mod Support form|
|Latest Mod||v10.1.0.3 & v184.108.40.206|
|Min TNG V||10.1|
|Max TNG V||at least 12.0|
admin_dataimport.php, admin_gedimport.php, gedimport_trees.php, gedimport_misc.php, English/data_help.php, English cust_text.php. installs rrgedcomimportpurge_dbsetup.php
Purpose of the Mod
This mod changes the Gedcom Import process to
- Add a flag (a new database field) to Medialinks that are created by Gedcom Imports,
- Optionally, purge Medialinks that have that flag, but retains Medialinks without the flag (i.e. that were created through TNG data entry), and
- Retain Places with Placelevels and/or Medialinks.
(The Medialink purge can be prevented if the user unchecks a new "Purge Medialinks" checkbox on the Gedcom Import kickoff form.)
Without this mod, the Gedcom Import Process:
- Leaves all Medialinks intact, including those that have been removed from the source database, and
- May purge some Places that have Placelevels and/or Medialinks that cannot be replaced through the Gedcom Import.
When the "pristine" (unchanged by a mod) Gedcom Import process starts, and you tell it to replace "all current data", TNG deletes all People, Families, Events, Notes, Citations, Sources, and Repositories in that tree, because TNG assumes that they will all be replaced from data in the Gedcom file. But it does not delete any Media Links at all, presumably because
- Many TNG admins don't count on Gedcom to load (all) of their media items and links, and instead manually create Media items and links, and
- Gedcom does not support Medialinks for places or cemeteries, and any such links in the database must have been created manually, using TNG data entry screens.
Also, the "pristine" Gedcom Import process purges Places that do not have geocodes or descriptive notes, presumably because it assumes that Places without such data will be replaced (as needed) by the data in the Gedcom file. However, it does not pay attention to the Placelevel field, or to Medialinks.
As a result, the pristine Gedcom Import process
- Retains Media links that have been deleted from the source database that produced the Gedcom, forcing the site Admin to delete those Medialinks manually (assuming that the Admin realizes that they exist).
- Deletes Places that have Placelevels or Medialinks, but no geocodes or notes, thus deleting data that cannot be replaced by data in the Gedcom file.
Conflicts And Dependencies
No known conflicts. This mod counts on the presence of the Blue Info Button mod to format small help icons on the Gedcom Import kickoff screen, but Blue Info Button is not strictly required. (See the visualizations below.)
- Blue Info Button is not strictly required, but it is certainly recommended and has a very small footprint.
- If the optional Show Mod Names mod is installed, this mod will utilize its functionality.
- Gedcom Import Mediatype and Gedcom Import Monitor are related only in that they also affect the Gedcom Import kickoff form and the Gedcom Import process. Aspects of those mods are coordinated with this mod (Gedcom Import Purge), but there are 'no dependencies among them and this mod.
- A working TNG installation.
- An installed current version of the Mod Manager.
- You should backup files listed in the panel on the right.
- Remove and delete previous version of this mod.
- Backup the files updated by this mod. They are listed in the panel at the upper right.
- Download the .zip file, and extract its .cfg file and subfolder to the mods folder.
- Follow the normal automated installation for Mod Manager, as shown in the example Mod Manager - Installing Config Files.
- You must also run the database setup program that is installed by this mod. The only link to the database setup program is in this mod's Description field in the Mod Manager. The database setup program creates the database field that is used to flag Medialinks that are created by the Gedcom Import process. If you fail to run that setup program, your next Gedcom Import will encounter a fatal database error.
In the event of a problem
Visualization of this Mod
|In the Mod Manager, After Installation, showing the database setup hyperlink.|
|You must follow the hyperlink shown above to run the setup program that creates the database field through which TNG remembers which media links were created by a Gedcom Import. The program that installs the new database field looks like this:|
|Admin >> Import/Export >> Import screen AFTER INSTALLATION:|
| The visualization above shows 5 (well, really 6) installed mods:
|As the Gedcom Import starts:|
Note that the Gedcom Import process will not purge any medialinks the first time you run it after installation, since the new database field hasn't yet been populated by flags that say that the Medialink was created by a Gedcom Import.
- The latest version of the mod is at the top of this table ***
|Mod Version||TNG Version||Date||Note|
|220.127.116.11||12.0+||15 May 2018||No functional changes; made compatible with TNGv12.|
|10.1.0.3p||10.1-11.1||26 Mar 2017||Removed the second line from the cust_text.php target location search string|
|10.1.0.3||10.1-11.1||26 Mar 2017||A technical update that, mostly, just makes Show Mod Names optional, and avoids a installation conflict introduced by TNGv11.0.1. That is, this version omits the adminlib.php patch that was part of v2 of this mod, and changes this mod's database setup program so that it works independently of that adminlib.php patch (which was fixed in TNGv11.0.1).|
|10.1.0.2||10.1-11.0.1||25 May 2016||Removed a unneeded <script> element that incorrectly referenced an external file, and that - under rare circumstances I still don't understand - could cause the database setup program to log you out from your TNG session. Also fixes a similarly incorrect <script> element in adminlib.php.|
|10.1.0.1a||10.1-10.1.3||21 Feb 2016||No new end-user functionality. Now depends on Show Mod Names v2+.|
|10.1.0.1||10.1-10.1.3||6 Feb 2016||New mod.|
Sites using this mod
If you download and install this mod, please add your site to the table below.
|Robin Richmond's Genealogy Database - admin function; not visible.||Robin Richmond||Mod developer||10.1.0.3||11.1.0||English|
|Hooley Family Links||Rick Hooley||Public/Private||See Here||See Here||EN|