Gendex - Searchform Mod
|Summary||Adds a GENDEX Direct Search form to the TNG searchform.php|
|Homepage||Gendex - Searchform Mod (this page)|
TNG Gendex Search for history
|Mod Support||TNG Community Forums|
|Min TNG V||7.1.0|
|Max TNG V||8.0|
Please update your additional language cust_text.php files with translations based upon the Custom Text Additions for this mod.
This TNG mod adds a simple/integrated way for your users to access the TNG Gendex Search by integrating a gendex search form to the advanced TNG search form.
The TNG Gendex project is a single searchable index of genealogy records from contributing users that link back to their TNG web sites.
At this writing, it includes indicies from over 1500 databases, and contains over 8.7 million names.
See the TNG Wiki article on Gendex provides some of the reasons why you might want to use the TNG Network Gendex.
The Gendex_-_Creating article shows you how to create your own gendex, the Gendex_-_Posting article shows you how to post it as part of your Import Data secondary process, and the Gendex_-_TNG_Network_(Importing) article show to upload it to the TNG Network Gendex site.
The TNG Gendex Searchform Mod was developed by Brian McFadyen.
|Revision 8.1.0||June 12, 2010||Updated during the TNG V8 release. This form will now autologin and submit the search criteria based upon the revised TNG Gendex search site.|
|Revision 2.2||Dec 4, 2009||Renumbered to gendex_form_v2.2.cfg to more closely match revision history and updated link to point to TNG Wiki. Other than the version number in the gendexform.php it is the same as the gendex_form_v1.4.cfg that was included in the Mod Manager zip file, but will soon be eliminated from the bundle.|
|Revision 2.1||Jul 3, 2008||corrections to the customized text|
|Revision 2.0||Jul 2, 2008||updated for TNG V7, now self updates the title|
|Revision 1.4||May 18, 2009||TNG 7.1, gendex_form_v1.4.cfg support for this mod is now included in the Mod Manager Package|
|Revision 1.3||Jul 11, 2007||minor html validation correction|
|Revision 1.2||May 14, 2007||no changes required, valid for TNG V6.1|
|Revision 1.2||Oct 25, 2006||updated with Multi-language support(contributed by Jean Deslauriers)|
|Revision 1.1||Sep 30, 2006||minor cosmetic adjustment to line up the field entry boxes|
- A working TNG installation.
- A backup of the TNG searchform.php
- An installed current version of the Mod Manager.
- Ensure the gendexform.php is readable by all and writeable by owner and group. This script will automatically re-write itself with new information at predefined intervals, so the script gendexform.php must be writeable. The permission may have to be set to at least 664 or 775 depending on your server operation.
- Download the current revision of the mod from the link in the status box in the upper right of this page.
- Extract gendex_form_vN.N.N.zip to ./admin/mod_folder for TNG V7 or your ./mods folder for TNG V8
- Follow the normal automated installation for Mod Manager, as shown in the example Mod Manager - Installing Config Files to install the gendex_form_vN.N.N.cfg.
Custom Text Additions
The following custom text will be added to your English/cust_text.php file by this mod. If you are using other languages, you must add these lines to each of your language cust_text.php files with appropriate translations of course.
//Gendex Search Form Text $text[gen_databases] = " TNG GEDCOM databases and "; $text[gen_lastnames] = " Last Names";
Update Every 10 Days Option
The gendexsearch.php will periodically retrieve Darrin's TNG Gendex search page to determine the current number of databases and surnames currently in Gendex. Upon successful retrieval, it will modify this script and update the variables with the current values.
The frequency of update is managed by the gen_check_days variable in the gendexsearch.php, which can be edited by changing the default of 10 days using the Mod Manager Edit capability to a different frequency of days to be used for the update.
No longer recommended and may not be current.
Although this mod is now distributed under the Mod Manager, the manual instructions for this package for earlier TNG versions is still available on Brian McFadyen's site.
As with most source code modifications, these changes will likely be overwritten during your next TNG revision upgrade and will need to be re-implemented. (Using the Mod Manager greatly simplifies this process).
Visualization of this mod
The image on the right shows the resultant addition made to the TNG advanced search page.
TNG User sites using this mod
- Please add TNG site that you have found that utilize this modification
- Brian McFadyen's Genealogy site Brian McFadyen is the developer of the mod.
- Our Acadian, French Canadian, and Maine Ancestors I use Brian McFadyen's Gendex search mod to allow my users the capability to search the TNG Network gendex files. (Ken Roy)
- The Willis Tree - I've just added the Gendex Search mod to see how useful it is! [Paul Willis]