Google Maps - Geocoding Places
Geocoding is the process of coding a latitude and longitude that then allows the display of Google Maps in TNG. The TNG Admin interface to Places provides a geocoding capability.
In order for the Google Maps to display on your Individual pages, you must
- First get a Google Map API key, see Google Maps - Getting Started
- Then you must geocode (add latitute and longitude) places, see Edit a Place below
Edit a Place
To Edit a Place:
Location Not Found
If Google Maps returns a not found, then you need to find out why it is not found.
For example a placename+hospital may be too specific and therefore the reason why it is not found
Update Geocode Location
Note that editing the geocode location field does not change the TNG place location.
|Sometimes Google will not be able to find a location because it was a military location during a war, as shown in the image on the right for Output Queen, Korea|
| If you happen to know the geocode coordinates from some other site, such as the Korean Educator Grid Coordinates, you can paste the coordinates in the Google Geocode Location window and click the Search button.
Google will then position the map to the correct location and TNG will be updated with the correct latitude and longitude, even if you entered the coordinates in degrees, minutes, and seconds, as shown in the image on the right.
Adjust Zoom and Set Placelevel
Save and Update all References
Leave the Make changes to place name in existing events box checked and Save the updated Place record. This will update all references to this location.
Test Update Location
Test the update Place page display by clicking the Test icon highlighted in the image displayed.
- Google Maps - Getting Started shows how to get a Google Map API key and configure your Map Settings
- Individual Event Map shows how a map displayed on the Individual page and explains how to navigate
- Maintenance - Places with no maps provides an SQL Report for Places with no latitude and longitude sorted in descending order of event references with links to Admin Places to help geocode
- Maintenance - Places - Zoom & Place_Levels provides an SQL Report for Places with no Zoom or Place Levels sorted in descending order of event references with links to Admin Places to help geocode
- US County Boundaries Mod on Bret Rumsey's site
Other Useful Sites
- US GenWeb County Map Generator Link provided by Gina Heffernan on TNG User2 list on 8 Feb 2009
- Topographical Maps of U.S. and Canada
- National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency Link provided by Bruce on the TNG User2 list on 21 March 2009
- Country Names downloads Link provided by Bruce on the TNG User2 list on 21 March 2009
- GPS Visualizer returns coordinates provided by the Yahoo! and Google Geocoding APIs.
- FamilySearch Place Standard Lookup also returns standard names
- Find Latitude and Longitude displays latitude and longitude as you mouse over the map. Appears to be using Google maps site.Link provided by Paul Blair on User2 list on 1 Jun 2011
- Dr Stephen Morse's site allows converting addresses to/from Latitude/Longitude/Altitude in One Step Link provided by Paul Tanner-Tremaine on User2 list on 1 Jun 2011