Media - Add New
This is one of several ways to load new media files to TNG. (See Getting Media into TNG) This technique is available only to administrators, and is appropriate when you want to add a single media file. Non-administrators can add a single media file from the Person or Family screen, as described at Add New Media - Linked to Person or Family.
This example uses the non-standard "Military Ribbon" collection, but it applies to any media collection. See a description of how to add collections to your site at Media - Collections.
First, Upload the Media File
You must upload your media file to the appropriate collection folder. (See Media - Collections). You may use FTP, or a file manager utility such as the one available through cPanel, which is a server administration application available on many websites.
Open the Media - Add New Screen
Go to Administration / Media / Add New to upload your file
1 - Upload your media file to your hosting site
2 - Select Administration from Info pull down menu
3 - Select Media from left nav area
Select Add New tab
Select the Add New tab
In the above example, Military Ribbons is selected in the collection pull down
Select Image File
Click the Select button and select the Image File from the returned list
which will return the selected file
Set Create thumbnail
Note that my site is setup to use a thumbs subfolder based on specifying the Thumbnail Prefix as thumbs/
Add the Title to be shown on the page when the media is displayed and in the list when viewing media collections
Add the Description to be shown on the page when the media is displayed and in the list when viewing media collections
Add the Owner of the media.
Note that if you click the Always Viewable box, the picture will display even though it is linked to a living person. So if you are protecting the privacy of living relatives, you may want to leave this box unchecked.
Open in new window
The Open in new window box when checked will open the image display in a separate window. This option might be useful if the media is on an external web site.
Save and Continue
Save the media record and continue to the next section to add the links and image map.
Note that you can click on the pull down arrow under the Link Type heading and link the media to Person, Family, Source, Repository, or Place.
Note that this modal dialog stays open so you can add more links, so you have to click the X in the upper right corner to close the modal dialog
Close Add Link modal dialog
Note that the added Person Link is shown at the bottom behind the Add Link dialog box, so once you have added all the links, you need to click on the X in the upper right corner of the Add Link dialog window to close it.
With TNG 7.0.1, the Add also changes to an edit icon indicating the person has been added.
Note that once the Person (or Family) Link has been added, you need to edit the link in order to associate it to an event.
With TNG 7.0.1, the link to an event can also be added in the Add Person modal dialog by clicking on the edit icon after the person has been added.
Link to Event
On the Edit Media Link modal dialog, you then need to click the pulldown on the right to select the event to which you want to link this media record.
Adding an image map is optional when adding a media record.
To Add an Image Map click on the right-arrow to expand the Image Map section.
However, for the Military Ribbons media record it must contain the <area> generated code from the UltimateRack. To use the Cool Dynamic Tooltip script rather
than the script from the ultimate rack make the modifications shown in Media Types - Military Ribbons.
The following image shows the resultant ribbon popup when mousing over the World War II Victory ribbon.
When you are done with your updates, Save the media record.
- Media - Collections
- External Link Collection
- Media - Add New - Collection
- Media - Add New - Collection (Military Ribbons example)
- Getting Media into TNG - A summary of the various techniques.
- Add New Media - Linked to Person or Family - For Editors as well as Administrators
- Media - Add New - Import one multimedia file into TNG. Then link its new Media record to other objects.
- Histories - Creating - Create a new TNG Media record without importing a multimedia file into TNG.
- Media - Import - Import files that are already on the server, but not already defined as Media records.
- Media - Upload - Upload several media files, import them into TNG, and link them (individually or collectively) to other objects.
- Import Media Using GEDCOM - Upload new media files that are referenced inside of a uploaded GEDCOM file.
|TNG version:||≤ 12.3.0|
|TNG version:||≥ 7.0|
|TNG version:||≥ 13.0.0|
Other Useful Articles
- Batch updates of IPTC tags using IrfanView
- Folios on how to handle multi-page documents as if it were a single TNG media object
- Folios - Examples
- Media Functions on how to hook videos into TNG
- Preserving Digital Photos
Some TNG Media Mods
- Unused Media
- Default Photo Path Mod
- ShowTable Mod
- Tooltip Mod
- Image Map Message Mod
- Export Media For Desktop
- Admin Thumbnails
- See also All mods that affect showmedia.phpMedia Types - Military Ribbons for information on creating a Military Ribbons media type
UltimateRack for information on creating the military ribbon rack