Difference between revisions of "Person Map"
(→Sites using this mod)
(→Sites using this mod)
|Line 295:||Line 295:|
| [[User:Joyaa|Joyaa Antares]]
| [[User:Joyaa|Joyaa Antares]]
| TNG 9.
| TNG 9..0
Revision as of 04:22, 11 May 2013
|Summary||Adds options to the Map Settings dialog to fine tune the showing of the map on the person pages.|
|Validation||The mod is XHTML compliant.|
Dutch language file
French language file
German language file
Spanish language file
|Download stats||See download statistics|
|Author(s)||Bart 'Roebie' Degryse|
|Mod Support||TNG forum|
|Latest Mod||188.8.131.52 for TNG v9.1 and up|
184.108.40.206 for TNG v9.0
|Min TNG V||9.0.0|
|Max TNG V||9.2.0|
Purpose of the mod
This mod will add options to the Map Settings dialog to fine tune the showing of the map on the person pages.
This mod was developed by Bart 'Roebie' Degryse
Idea by Cyndi Wiseman in response to a question by Mitch Gariador.
Version 9.x.0.1 features in response to a question by Roger Mitchell.
Version 9.x.0.3 features in response to a question by Sam Clark. Thanks to Sam and to Jerry Liebowitz for extensive testing and to Ken Roy and Martin Pannier for translations.
- A working TNG installation.
- A backup of all affected files (see the list in the summary in the upper right corner of the page)
- An installed current version of the Mod Manager (is already included in TNG v9)
- Download the appropriate zip file as shown in the summary in the upper right corner of the page. NOTE that I host these zip files on my own server. That way I can count the number of downloads for each mod I made and estimate the relevance of such mod.
- Extract all the files from the downloaded zip file (1 cfg file and 2 images) into the mods folder.
- Follow the normal automated installation for Mod Manager, as shown in the example Mod Manager - Installing Config Files to install the mod.
- Go to Admin >> Setup >> Configuration >> Map Settings.
- Make sure Enable Maps is set to Yes
- Also make sure to set Hide Public Maps to Start to No
- Next set the three new options Show the map on the person page, Allow to toggle the visibility, Reset location markers on unhide and Scroll event map section to to your liking. More on these options in the next two paragraphs.
- Don't forget to press the Save button.
- If the mod doesn't behave as expected, please clear your browser's cache as a first measure:
- Log out of your TNG website
- Clear your browser's cache
- Close and reopen your browser
- Log in into your TNG website
The latest version of this mod adds tree options to the Map Settings dialog.
- Start with expanded event map section
- Allow to toggle the visibility
The next paragraph will give a detailed description of the effect of these parameters especially in conjunction with other TNG settings.
- Reset location markers on unhide
When you open the page the map will show a given region. Now suppose you scroll the map to show another region. Now hide the map, next unhide the map. The map will still show the latest region. Setting this option to Yes, forces the map to reload when you unhide it, making it show the former region again.
- Scroll event map section to
If the getperson page is higher than the browser viewport this option will define the page's behavior: scroll to the top of the event map section, or the bottom or center it in the viewport.
- There is also an image just before the Click to display/hide link to draw a bit of attention
Detailed Behavior Description
This paragraph will describe the effect of several of the Map Settings options on the behavior of the getperson page, not only the ones added by the mod itself but also the TNG options. It has become quite extensive as there are many possible combinations. To limit the width of the table I've given each option a number (see below).
Another aspect that has been overly discussed on and off the mailing list is the impact on bandwidth. To tackle this I have done some tests. Using the Firefox addin HttpFox I have recorded the list of files and the amount of data fetched from the web server each time I refresh a certain page on my TNG website. The details on the recorded information are in this excel file (zipped). The numbers marked in red are the ones that are related to the Event Map section. I have summed them in the excel file and you can also find them in the table below. Remember that these are not absolute figures, they will vary for each website and each getperson page, even for each browser brand. It's the relationship between them that matters most. Or like it was mostly formulated on the mailing list: is the map loaded or not?
Note 1: I have only recorded this information for the getperson page. That explains why there's not always a number mentioned.
Note 2: Depending on the settings a different part of genstyle.css is fetched. That's why I have decided to add this file to the list of Event Map section related files.
Note 3: This tests where done without caching. With caching on the amounts of data fetched should be (far) lower as many of the files can be perfectly cached.
|Hide Admin Maps to Start||2||TNG|
|Hide Public Maps to Start||3||TNG|
|Start with expanded section||4||MOD|
|Allow to toggle the visibility||5||MOD|
An empty cell means that the setting doesn't matter for the described effect.
|Site wide behaviour|
|No||27,697||Maps are disabled|
|Behavior of admin site|
|Yes||No||Maps will show|
|Yes||Yes||A grey button labeled Show/hide clickable map shows, but no map. When you click it the map will show.|
|Behavior of getperson page|
|Behavior of other public pages (cemeteries, ...)|
|Yes||Since the Hide Public Maps to Start option only affects the getperson page and this mod doesn't affect other pages than the getperson page, the map on these pages shows, just as it does without the mod.|
Those who use other languages in addition to English can find appropriate mods to add Dutch, French or Spanish custom text additions in the summary in the upper right corner of this page. Follow the same procedure as explained above to install them.
Note that these language mods are only for the 220.127.116.11 version of the mod. New ones will come soon!
Visualization of this mod
The following images show the visual effects of installing the mod.
The following images show the effect of the Scroll event map section to option. To make this screenshots I resized my browser so that the viewport is smaller than the page, but larger than the Event Map section. Then I've scrolled to the bottom of the page. This I consider the starting point which you can see in the first image (the Collapsed column). Then I've set the mods settings to:
- Hide Public Maps to Start: No
- Start with expanded section: No
- Allow to toggle the visibility: Yes
Each image shows the effect after clicking the Click to display link (see also image The Event Map section collapsed above).
In the event of a problem
- Try using the Mod Manager Remove capability
- Contact me through the TNG forum.
- Contact me by email. My email address is in the description column of this mod on the Mod Manager page
- Copy the backup of the affected files back to your TNG directory
|17 March 2013||Minor change to ensure compatibility with the Mouse Wheel Zoom mod.|
|15 March 2013|| Bugfix: the Dutch translation of the Click to hide and Click to display labels was not suited for being used by this mod. This version enables to have a custom text. This custom text is set by the language mod.|
You only need this update if you want to get the Dutch text right. If you do update however you will have to update all the Person Map mods you're using.
Example: You cannot update the main mod and the Dutch language mod but keep using the 18.104.22.168 version of the French language mod.
|12 March 2013||
|21 February 2013||Added an image in front of the Click to display/hide link|
|v22.214.171.124||19 February 2013|| First version of the mod for TNG v9.1+ (jQuery)
Has of course the same features as v126.96.36.199
|v188.8.131.52||19 February 2013||Added two more options to the mod's feature set|
|v184.108.40.206||2 August 2012||Initial config file release for TNG v9.0.0 upto v9.0.3|
Sites using this mod
If you download and install this mod, please add your TNG site to the table below: