|Summary||This mod displays a map with all of the geocoded places in the TNG database. Options include showing pins, clusters, or heatmaps of places. Places can be shown by Place Type or by Event Type. In addition, places can be displayed over set time intervals.|
|Validation||Admin application not validated.|
|Download stats||Download Stats|
|Mod Support||TNG Forums|
|Contact Developer||My Mod Support|
|Latest Mod||10.0.0.0 for TNG V10 and up|
|Min TNG V||10.0.0|
|Max TNG V||10.0.0+|
Inspired by TNG Forum Topic:Map showing all locations of events, this is updated code in a mod format. While similar to World_map_mod, this mod provides additional flexibility in the way data can be displayed.
Some of the features include:
- Custom sub-title
- Custom map height (it uses the full width of the screen)
- Custom initial Latitude, Longitude, Zoom of Map. Chose to display these values or not on the map.
- Custom pin display. Pins or clusters. A heatmap can be added (based on number of events at locations).
- Can overlay the map options on the map, or have them separate below the map.
- Custom year interval for display. You can select all, or year intervals such as 20, 25, 40, 50, etc.
- Can have a sidebar with the names of the currently selected places. The place names can also be clicked to show the location information. Name information can be either shown Small to Big (e.g., city, county, state, country) or Big to small (e.g., Country, state, county, city).
- Sidebar display, size, and location (on the map or below the map) are customizable.
- Design is intended to scale with size of screen. So still useable on phones.
- To make customization easier, all styling is done in css.
Custom Year Display
When enabled, this feature allows the exploration of event places over time in the database. The administrator can decide what year intervals are reasonable for displaying the data and which of those will be used as a default range. These intervals are then provided to the user of the page. When the intervals are turned on in the Map Options area, only those places with events during that year interval range will be displayed. The timeline below the map will show which interval is being displayed. Controls are then provided to step forward or backward one interval. Controls are also provided to skip to the beginning or end of all the intervals. The total interval range is based upon the dates in the data and will extend from the first dated event at a geocoded location to the latest dated event at a geocoded location.
This example shows the full page, with a 20 year interval starting in 1880 and ending in 1899. The forward arrows will advance the time to 1900 to 1919 and the map will adjust accordingly. Also note the Map options in the upper right hand corner of the map and the side bar of displayed places in the lower right part of the screen. The sidebar of place names is scrollable and searchable. It will only display names of places currently displayed on the map. Places are only displayed if they are in the correct date range, have the place type selected, and have a selected event type. Using these controls, you can see just births, or just deaths or any combination you choose.
This example shows the place "New Braunfels, Comal Co., Texas" selected in the sidebar. The number of places in the sidebar was narrowed by the search field. In the map area, after the link was selected, a window was opened to show information about the place. The top title field, when clicked, will open the TNG page for that place. Icons at the bottom of the window let you zoom in, zoom out, or zoom to the place on the map.
Changes to genlib.php
For older versions of the mod manager, a valid mod must change at least one file. To accomodate, this mod changes genlib.php to include a menu item "Places" that points to the place_map.php. This is the only change to TNG. All other files are provided by the mod.
While care has been taken to be as efficient as possible in dealing with the data, it is possible that this mod may work very slowly with large collections of data. The author's site has almost 1600 geocoded places used in over 8500 events in the TNG database and performance is still reasonable. But your results may differ.
|V10.0.0.2||05 April 2015||
This mod was developed by Wendel Voigt
Sites using this mod
If you download and install this mod, please add your TNG site to the table below
|Voigtworld.com||Wendel Voigt||Wendel is the developer of the Place_Map Mod||10.0.0.2||10.0.3||English|
TNG Modules Involved
In TNG V10 and above, this mod modifies the following files: