Relationship display (German and Portuguese) Mod
|Relationship display (German and Portuguese) Mod|
|Summary||Displays relationships the way they are usually described in Portuguese and German|
|Download link||relationship_text_BR_DE_v18.104.22.168.cfg.zip for
|Download stats||See download statistics|
|Author(s)||Carlos A Heuser|
|Contact Developer||Contact form|
|Latest Mod||22.214.171.124 for TNG v9.0.4 to TNG v.11.0.0|
126.96.36.199 for TNG V9.0.1
|Min TNG V||9.0.1|
|Max TNG V||11|
this mod is compatible with Jeff Robison's Relationship Display Mod
does not affect relationship display in other languages
Purpose of this Mod
The way TNG describes the relationship between two individuals follows the English standard. For other languages text snippets in the text.php files are translated accordingly. However, these translations lead to relationship descriptions that are unusual to readers of some of these languages. This is the case of Portuguese and German (and probably a few more). For example, the following relationship:
- "Alfredo Heuser is the 5 x great nephew of Anna Magdalena Immich"
should be translated to:
- "Alfredo Heuser ist ein Alturgroßneffe von Anna Magdalena Immich" (German) or
- "Alfredo Heuser é sobrinho pentaneto de Anna Magdalena Immich" (Portuguese)
This TNG modification changes the way relationships are displayed in German and Portuguese in order to conform these messages to the standards used in these two languages.
This modification affects just German and Portuguese. It should also work if your site is providing content in just one of those languages. Works with sites that use UTF-8, as well as with those that do not use this encoding.
The figures below show the relationship messages as originally generated by TNG (in English) and how they are displayed in Portuguese and German.
Mod developer is Carlos Heuser.
- A working TNG v9.0.1 to v10.0.1 installation with all language files.
- A backup of the files modified by this mod (see next item).
- An installed current version of the Mod Manager (is already part of TNGv9).
There are two ways of installing this Mod.
If you have installed a full distribution of TNG with all its language files (should be the case for most installs) you can use the simplest way of installing the mod. Notice that it suffices to have the language files installed. You do not need to be using all languages. In this case follow this procedure:
- Download the compressed configuration file that corresponds to the full install as shown in the summary in the upper right hand corner. Should be a file with a name like "relationship_text_BR_DE_(full)v...zip"
- Extract the compressed file and copy it to your TNG mods folder
- Follow the normal automated installation for Mod Manager, as shown in the example Mod Manager - Installing Config Files to install the appropriate config file.
(since version 188.8.131.52a this form of install is not available any more -- instead use the full install as described above)
Alternatively, if for some reason you do not have all language files installed (the procedure above would result in the Mod Manager complaining for missing files) or if you would like to install the messages for just one language (either Portuguese or German) and not for the other, you will have to follow this steps:
- Download the compressed configuration files that corresponds to the partial install as shown in the summary in the upper right hand corner. Should be a file with a name like "relationship_text_BR_DE_(partial)v...zip"
- Extract the compressed files to some folder in your computer
- Copy the configuration file that contains the code of the mod (should be the file named "relationship_text_BR_DE_(code)v...cfg" to your TNG mods folder
- Copy the appropriate language files to your TNG mods folder. Notice that there is one file for each language and each encoding (ISO-8859-1 or UTF-8). For example, if you want to install the mode just for German and your site uses UTF-8, copy the file "relationship_text_BR_DE_(German_UTF8)v...cfg".
- Follow the normal automated installation for Mod Manager, as shown in the example Mod Manager - Installing Config Files to install each of the config files you have copied.
|v184.108.40.206||31 May 2016||German - ordinals for 18th generation and up corrected|
|v220.127.116.11||06 April 2014|| Language files for Portuguese or German are now optional|
Portuguese: instead of informal but ambiguous "Tataravô" now using "Trisavô"
|v18.104.22.168a||05 February 2014|| Several corrections to German messages|
Mod was tested with TNG v10.0.0rt
|v22.214.171.124||14 March 2013|| German messages for great children were corrected|
Mod was tested with TNG v-9.2
this page was edited to include charts showing the relationships in the languages supported
|v126.96.36.199||30 March 2012||some bugs corrected - released two versions, one for full, the other for partial install|
|v188.8.131.52||29 March 2012||adapted to work together with Jeff Robison's Relationship Display Mod|
|v184.108.40.206||27 March 2012||first release of the mod file|
Sites using this mod
If you download and install this mod, please add your TNG site to the table below.
|Brazilian-German family trees||Carlos Heuser||the mod developer's site||...||EN, PT-BR, DE|
|My family||(no public site)||see here||D,(NL),(GB)|
|Chamberlain & Eidenbenz Genealogy||Graham Chamberlain||Using German translations||v220.127.116.11/v9.2.1||GB, DE, FR, ES, NL|
|Andersson, Hoppe, Sahlin, Thorell||Erik Hoppe||Using German translations||v18.104.22.168/v9.1.1||GB, DE, SE|