|Summary||Adds run-time options for reports to (a) control the number of data rows displayed on a page and (b) provide for multiple side-by-side HTML tables for narrow reports. Also does just a little reformatting.|
|Mod Updated||07 Nov 2017|
|Download link||for reports-floating_results_v18.104.22.168.zip
|Homepage||Robin Richmond's Genealogy Database|
|Mod Support||My Mod Support form or TNG Community Forums|
|Contact Developer||My Mod Support form|
|Min TNG V||11.0|
|Max TNG V||at least 11.1.2|
showreport.php, cust_text.php English
Purpose of the Mod
To provide flexibility in the display of TNG reports, adds run-time options for reports to
- Control the number of result rows displayed on a page, and
- Allow for multiple side-by-side HTML tables, so that more data from narrow reports can be shown on the screen.
The report display program also now
- Indents the report description and SQL code for readability.
- Doesn't print the report "Description" label if there is no description.
- Omits the buttons, form fields, and the page navigation widget from the pretty-print display.
- Moves the "Matches i to j of n" message next to the page navigation buttons like most TNG search results.
All four Mod Parameter determine whether end-users (i.e. non-administrators) see certain options. All options are always available to site administrators. Mod Parameter 2-4 deal with new options, so it may be useful to review at least the first 4 Visualizations below before reading about the Mod Parameters.
- $displayCSVLink (true) determines whether to show the CSV Download load link to end-users. This mod effectively implements the functionality of the CSV Reports for Admin only mod, which conflicts with this mod.
- $showSideBySideOptions (true). The options that control side-by-side report tables can be a bit confusing, and they only work for fairly narrow tables. As a result, some TNG administrators may want to hide them from end-users.
- $displayWrapOneTableOption (true). Even if the $showSideBySideOptions parameter is (true), the site administrator may want to hide option 4 (Wrap one table on each printed page), largely because it doesn't work in all browsers.
- $repeatrateParam (25). The option to repeat headings every so many lines can also be hidden from end users - in most circumstances. The "Repeat Headings" option is critical for the "Wrap one table on each printed page) option to work well, so is is always displayed if the user selection the "Wrap one table on each printed page) option.
Compatibility with other Mods
Among the published mods that change showreport.php, this mod
- Is compatible with
- Is not compatible with
- Report Footer - But since the columns defined by this mod float below the previous column if the screen isn't wide enough to accommodate them, the columns effectively serve the same purpose as the headings in Report Footer
- CSV Reports for Admin only. However, when the first Mod Parameter described above is set to False, this mod implements the functionality of CSV Reports for Admin only - that is, it hides the CSV download link from non-admins.
- This mod uses "Field Buttons", which are visible only if the optional Field Buttons mod is installed.
- Reports-Floating Editor is similar in that is allows objects on the screen to float side-by-side on wider screens, but Reports-Floating Editor affects only the report editor, whereas this mod affects only showreport.php, which runs reports and shows results.
- This mod saves data that can be used by the Show Mod Names utility mod, but is not dependent on' Show Mod Names.
- A working TNG installation.
- An installed current version of the Mod Manager.
- You should backup files listed in the panel on the right.
- Remove and delete previous version of this mod.
- Backup the files updated by this mod. They are listed in the panel at the upper right.
- Download the .zip file, and extract its .cfg file to the mods folder.
- Follow the normal automated installation for Mod Manager, as shown in the example Mod Manager - Installing Config Files.
In the event of a problem
| Fig.1 showreport.php BEFORE
| Fig.2 showreport.php AFTER
| Fig.3 showreport.php AFTER, focusing on the SQL code|
| Fig.4 showreport.php AFTER This screen clip combines TNG's "Pretty-print" mode and the Print Preview function in a web browser to illustrate that
| Fig.5 showreport.php AFTER The "Side-by-Side Results tables" Options Multi-Column Options|
Sometimes it is better to generate results tables that float, using options . Other times it is better to use HTML <columns> tag to squeeze down the report columns a bit, forcing the results to be formatted into side-by-side results tables. See the visualizations below for a description of the differences between the options that "Allow the result tables to float" and that "Force side-by-side results tables.
|showreport.php AFTER Two results tables floating side-by-side|
| showreport.php The "Force side-by-side results tables" option AFTER:|
|Mod Version||TNG Versions||Date||Note|
Sites using this mod
If you download and install this mod, please add your site to the table below.
|Robin Richmond's Genealogy Database||Robin Richmond||Mod developer||v22.214.171.124||11.1.1||English|