Show All Family
|Show All Family combines four mods: Show_End_of_Lines, Show_Stepparents, Other_Spouses and Show_Children_Spouses. You must uninstall them all first.|
|Show All Family|
|Summary||Adds earliest ancestors, patriarchs and matriarchs (father-to-father and mother-to-mother ends of lines), spouses other spouses, children spouses, stepparents and alternative name spellings to the getperson page|
|Mod Updated||18 Oct 2019|
|Author(s)||A. S. DuPree|
|Homepage||Show_All_Family (this page)|
|Mod Support||TNG Community Forums|
|Min TNG V||12|
|Max TNG V||12.1|
Add Person Siblings Row to show sibling spouses
Version 4d (18 Oct 2019) adds an option to combine earliest ancestors and paternal/maternal lines in one row.
Show All Family provides six family member areas to the individual's page (getperson.php).
- Earliest ancestor
- Matriarchs and patriarchs
- Parents other partners (Stepparents)
- Other spouses of spouse
- Children's spouses
- Alternative surname spellings
Options in the mod manager allow you to choose the ones you want. They are all installed as default so that you can see how they look on your page and then choose.
1. Earliest Ancestors
This row shows the earliest ancestors of the individual. It calculates this by getting all ancestors as far back as it can and returning the last generation it finds. Hence, it may show one person or many depending on how many people you have found in that generation. [Note, the massive calculations that are necessary to find this person or people have been trimmed down as much as I can. However, if the mod detects that it may take significant time to find these ancestors, it halts and returns a button instead that will resume the calculation but with a warning about potential delay. Also, the calculations take place on an external page to avoid slowing down the loading of the individual's page]/
How come my person and the person's spouse BOTH have the same earliest ancestor?
Well, you may notice this happening and it is confusing, but before you think there is something wrong with the mod, try the little link icon to the right of the ancestor's name. I have already found two or three couples in my data that have the same earliest ancestor. Think about it, the data reflects the earliest people you have found...and the likelihood grows as you go back of any two individuals being related. This is further compounded by the limits to the research that means we have all spent more time and energy on fewer lines.
Earliest ancestors are not a normal thing to display in genealogical software to my knowledge, so I have included a help icon on the field name to try to explain. It may take some getting used to.
2. Patriarchs and Matriarchs
This row shows the male-to-male line back to the "patriarch" or first father on the father's line. And the female-to-female line back to the 'matriarch' or first mother on the mother's line. These people are useful to know at a glance for DNA research.
Sometimes the matriarchs and patriarchs are the same as the earliest ancestors. I have not attempted to hide this duplication because it is useful to know when they are the same. The screen below shows the earliest ancestor I have for Queen Isabelle of Angouleme and then the ends of her paternal and maternal lines, as far as I know.
- Note the blue i - that links to a help menu
- Note the icon at the end of the names - that takes you to the relationship page showing the line between the ancestor and the person.
And here is what it looks like if expanded.
Or you can combine earliest ancestors with patriarchs and matriarchs in a single row. Here is what that looks like when expanded.
These add other spouses to the parents and spouse of the individual and add all spouses to the children. The utility here is the ability to see the whole family at a glance. Not only does this help in telling stories (since one doesn't have to search, for say, the son in law) but also provides clues that are useful when trying to maximize searches through records.
There are options to change the symbols used for spouses and to put them together all on one line (default).
Show spouses for children:
Other spouses of spouses
Parents Other Partners (Stepparents)
6. Alternative Spellings
Alternative spellings looks at all the spellings of the surname on the particular line of the individual and returns a small list of spellings from the database. It may find little differences (Smith and Smythe) and it may find large changes, reflecting the adoption of new surnames on the line. Both are useful information in tracking down histories. The only difference you will see on the page is a little plus sign that only appears if alternative spellings are found. Click on it to open them up.
There are options to change the word you use to identify an unknown surname (the default is "unknown") and to identify an unmarried couple (the default is "not married")
Show alternative spellings on a line:
All of these functions are only as good as your data. And, no, I am not saying anyone has "bad data." But we all learn as we go along and change our habits of entering our folk in the database, etc. If any are returning bad data -- exclude them in the options. Please feel free to let me know... but I barely have a handle on my own data and before I can track down your problem I have to figure out how you use tng. Some steps to check out from what I know:
- Tng allows for multiple parents -- really useful when you want to keep two paths - but not so useful in finding ancestors. If you do this a lot (enter multiple parents of a person), these functions will not return good data.
- Try to be consistent in what you do about unknown surnames, etc.
- If you notice a stress or strain on your webpage (i.e. it loads slowly), try excluding the Ancestors, Alternative Surnames and Matriarchs and Patriarchs, in that order. See if things improve.
Mod options include:
- You can choose to show or not show any of the spouses, matriarchs and patriarchs or alternative spellings
- You can choose to use or not use symbols in the display, or change the symbol
- You can adjust the spellings to ignore a word you may use for an unknown surname
Other Mod Integration
Thanks to Ron, Michel, Ken, Jan-Thore and Katryne Mod has Czech, Dutch, French, German, Norwegian and Spanish text. Also, thanks to the same group of people for testing and pushing it to a much improved state.
Note - the mod calculates relationships (such as 3x great grandfather) using the English custom. This can provide unwanted results in other languages. To avoid this it conforms to the options you set for a language in the admin menu (languages>>Edit Existing Language). The option to "Turn off relationship messages" is set to yes if you do not want to display the relationship (also for other tng pages).
If you want to use it with a different language, add the correct text (between quotes) in the code below and add to your cust_text file in the appropriate language folder.
$text['otherpartners'] = "Other Partners: "; $text['childpartners'] = "Partners: "; $text['stepparents'] = "Stepparents"; $text['earlyinfo'] = "This is the earliest ancestor or ancestors for this person's mother and father as recorded in the research provided in the database on this web site."; $text['oldendinfo'] = "These are end of paternal (father to father, etc. or Y-DNA direct line) and maternal (mother to mother. etc. or mtDNA direct line) lines"; $text['oldend'] = "Patriarch & Matriarch"; $text['Grandfather'] = "Grandfather"; $text["Grandmother"] = "Grandmother"; $text['Greatgrandfather'] = "Great Grandfather"; $text['Greatgrandmother'] = "Great Grandmother"; $text['clickearly'] = "Find earliest ancestors, response may be delayed."; $text['expandline'] = "Click arrow on left to see the EANC# earliest ancestor(s) in GEN# generations out of a total of ~TANC# ancestors."; $text['expandline2'] = "EANC# Earliest Ancestor(s) in GEN# Generations out of a total of ~TANC# Ancestors:"; $text['expandline3'] = "Click arrow on left to see the Earliest ancestor(s)"; $text['earliestancestors'] = "Earliest Ancestor(s)";Note: don't change EANC#, GEN#, ~TANC# ... they will all be numbers when displayed on the page.
Changes and Versions
17 Oct 2019 - V4d
- Adds an option to display maternal and paternal lines in one row.
- Ron added a fix for some users who were not getting the Family Edit Mod links when choosing display personID after name in edit options. (Thanks to Ron for further fixes to Family Edit mod Living/Private flags option made on 12 October and included in the same version number)
9 Oct 2019 - V4b
- uses same query logic with patriarchs and matriarchs (fixing issue for databases with unexpected relations for children and parents)
- fixes formatting issue if family edit links placement option is chosen.
8 Oct 2019 - V4a
- Fix for Dutch text strings
- Expanded query logic for ancestors
- Fixed missing expand arrow with only one ancestor
5 Oct 2019 - V4
- Adds earliest ancestors
- Adds relationships and relationship links
- Streamlines some formatting, options and text strings.
1 Sep 2019 - V3a
- Adds edit links and id #s if Family Edit Links Mod is installed
- Adds full birth/death info to paternal and maternal lines
- Moves settings to extension folder
28 Aug 2019 - V3
- Fixes some hard-coded strings
- Changes the way steppparents are handled
- Changes the way married and unmarried spouses are dealt with
- Adds Norwegian
18 Aug 2019 - V2a
- Allows the mod to work with Collapse Family Children
17 Aug 2019 - V2
- numerous formatting changes.
- Adds in languages and makes some changes to the custom text strings.
This mod was developed by A.S. DuPree (a novice, happy for any help on improving it)
- A working TNG installation.
- An installed current version of the Mod Manager.
- Download the zip file in the status area in the upper right.
- Extract the Show_All_Family_v22.214.171.124.zip to your mod folder.
- Important - uninstall Show_End_of_Lines, Show_Stepparents, Other_Spouses and Show_Children_Spouses
- Follow the normal automated installation for Mod Manager, as shown in the example Mod Manager - Installing Config Files .
Conflicts and Issues
In the event of a problem with your TNG site
- Try using the Mod Manager to Remove the mod
Sites using this mod
If you download and install this mod, please add your TNG site to the table below:
|Adupree.com||A.S. DuPree||Mod Developer||126.96.36.199d||12.1||English|
|Racine d'Alsace||J-Louis Valory||Public- private - T17 customized||188.8.131.52a||12.1||FR|
|Our Roy and Boucher Family||Ken Roy||Beta tested v2 and v4||184.108.40.206d||12.2.0||EN, FR|
|Roots & Relatives Remembered||Ron Krzmarzick||Public & Private||220.127.116.11d||See Here||EN,DE,CS,ES|
|Barta-Joggele Online aus Mauren, Liechtenstein||Gerald Meier||Private||18.104.22.168d||12.2||DE, EN, FR, ES, PT|
|Solem Genealogy||Jan-Thore Solem||Private||22.214.171.124d||12.2||EN, NO|
|Journeys in Genealogy||Patrick Thrush||Public WordPress/TNG bundle||126.96.36.199||12.1||English|