Difference between revisions of "Talk:Changing to UTF-8"

From TNG_Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(Created page with " I had a problem using French accented vowels in text (for Notes, especially copied obituaries). I did not use accented vowels in the names of the people. I had used the re...")
(No difference)

Revision as of 03:34, 4 September 2013

  I had a problem using French accented vowels in text (for Notes, especially copied obituaries).  I did not use accented vowels in the names of the people.
  I had used the recommended approach of using the Phoca dialogs to convert all the tng databases to UTF8 with utf8_general_ci encoding.
  My gedcoms were all UTF8 produced by RootsMagic.  After uploading the gedcoms to tng, the browsers (IE, Chrome, Firefox) did not display the accented vowels in the notes (tng_xnotes table); instead it still treated the text as if the two byte UTF characters were single byte Latin characters.  So viewing the text had muddled characters.
  My solution was simple:
  Instead of using the phoca approach to convert ALL of the tables, I just focused on the one table that had the problem  (please note, syntax not exact in the  following lines ...)

1) backup the tng_xnotes table 2) truncate the tng_xnotes table (table is now empty) 3) MySQL - ALTER Table tng_xnotes to character set UTF8 collate utf8_swedish_ci 4) MySQL - ALTER table tng_xnotes columns (three columns, not ID column) CONVERT to collate utf8_swedish_ci 5) tell tng to (re)import every gedcom, replacing all data. 6) accented vowels were now correctly displayed in the various browsers. [Chuck Filteau]