Difference between revisions of "TextPlus Charts"
(→Sites using this mod)
(→Sites using this mod)
|Line 190:||Line 190:|
Revision as of 20:47, 15 September 2014
|Summary||Two new charts: Text+ Descendant Chart, and Text+ Ancestor Chart.|
|Author(s)||Robin Richmond with translations by Henny Savenije and testing help from Henny Savenije and Alan Wilcox|
|Homepage||Robin Richmond's Genealogy Database|
|Mod Support||My Mod Support form or TNG Forums|
|Contact Developer||My Mod Support form|
|Min TNG V||10.0.2|
|Max TNG V||10.0.3|
Descendant charts (descend.php, descendtext.php, desctracker.php, register.php),
Pedigree charts (pedigree.php, pedigreetext.php, verticalchart.php, ahnentafel.php, extrastree.php),
cust_text.php (English and English-UTF8),
Purpose of the Mod
To define two new charts - The Text+ Pedigree Chart (on the Pedigree inner menu), and the Text+ Descendant Chart (on the Descendant Charts inner menu). Both charts follow a text format (basically an outline layout), but they also:
- Draw lines to connect people with their children.
- Display places of birth and death instead of just dates.
- For living people (when allowed by security constraints), display the last known place of residence and the date of that residence event.
- Can (when the number of generations is set to zero) display ALL of a person's descendants or ancestors rather than a specific number of generations,
- Display a summary at the bottom of the chart, and
- Allow the user to save the chart parameters to a cookie for use by subsequent charts (whether initiated by the "New Chart" link at the end of a line, or by selecting the chart from an inner menu on a profile page or another chart).
The Text+ Descendant chart also:
- Displays date and place of marriage, and
- Displays the starting person's parents, with date and place of birth and death.
And the Text+ Pedigree chart:
- Can (optionally) display the siblings of each ancestor, giving a richer view of the family tree, and
- Can (optionally) display blank lines at certain points in the chart to improve readability.
Compatibility With Other Mods
No known conflicts with published mods. However, there is a conflict with older versions of an Add New Items mod that was written by Ian Fettes. I have a workaround for those older versions, though a newer version, available from the author, avoids that conflict.
Also, World map mod is an example of a another mod that installs a chart program and modifies the Pedigree inner menu. There is no installation conflict, but the World Map program won't have the Text+ link, nor will the Text+ Pedigree programs have the World Map link. On the other hand, chart programs distributed with TNG releases (e.g. pedigree.php, pedigreetext.php, verticalchart.php) would have both links after both mods are installed.
- A working TNG installation.
- An installed current version of the Mod Manager.
- You should backup files listed in the panel on the right.
- Remove and delete previous version of this mod.
- Backup the files updated by this mod. They are listed in the panel at the upper right.
- Download the .zip file, and extract its .cfg file to the mods folder.
- Follow the normal automated installation for Mod Manager, as shown in the example Mod Manager - Installing Config Files.
In the event of a problem
The following strings are defined in the English and English-UTF8 versions of cust_test.php
//TextPlus Reports mod: new strings $text['age'] = "Age"; $text['pedtextplus'] = "Text+"; $text['help'] = "Help for this area"; $text['textplusdescendfor'] = "Text+ Descendancy Chart for"; $text['textpluspedigreefor'] = "Text+ Pedigree Chart for"; $text['nofit'] = "At these printer settings, there is no room for generation"; //The next few strings are used in the TextPlus innermenu form $text['fontsize'] = "Size"; $text['indentation'] = "Indentation"; $text['pagewidth'] = "Width"; $text['portrait'] = "Portrait"; $text['landscape'] = "Landscape"; $text['legal'] = "Legal"; $text['characters'] = "chars"; $text['frmsiblings'] = "Siblings"; $text['submit'] = "Submit"; $text['save'] = "Save"; $text['blanklines'] = "Blank Lines"; //Strings for the text+ descendant chart summary: $text['chartrequired'] = "This chart required"; $text['linesprint'] = "lines to print"; $text['peopleincl'] = "people (including"; $text['spousesin'] = "spouses) in"; $text['lcgenerations'] = "generations"; //lowercase version $text['plus1parent'] = "plus 1 parent"; $text['plus'] = "plus"; $text['sumparents'] = "parents"; $text['peoplehave'] = "people have"; $text['personhas'] = "person has"; $text['additionaldesc'] = "additional descendants not shown on this chart"; //Strings for the text+ pedigree chart summary $text['chartdisplayed'] = "This chart displayed"; $text['directanc'] = "direct ancestors"; $text['additionalanc'] = "additional ancestors not shown on this chart"; $text['among'] = "among"; $text['sumpeople'] = "people"; $text['in'] = "in"; //Strings used to compose the date/place values $text['unknownvalue'] = "unknown"; $text['unknowndisplay'] = "??"; $text['alive'] = "alive"; $text['married1'] = "m"; //The prefix for marriage date place, e.g. (m.01 Jan 1911) //For admin_pedconfig.php $admtext['pedtextplus'] = "Text+"; //TextPlus Reports mod: End of new strings
Margins and Line-Wrapping
Because the Text+ charts draw lines connecting the generations, these charts cannot simply allow long lines of data to wrap at the browser window's (or printed page's) right margin. The Text+ chart programs have to know the window (or printed page's) width and the font size so that they can wrap lines of data at the appropriate point.
As a result, the Text+ chart programs contain a form with fields that specify printing parameters. Those parameters are described in detail in a help page associated with the Text+ chart programs.
(Author's note: Most web applications with such constraints would generate PDF files, which allow print characteristics to be controlled with more specificity, but I first wrote versions of the Text+ programs long before the PDF format became standard, and I've simply continued to use HTML with each new implementation.)
I have used the following techniques to conserve space and reduce the amount of line-wrapping:
- I use "??" instead of "Unknown"
- If a person was born and died in the same place, I only display the place once, like this: (Cleveland, Bradley, TN;15 Nov 1815 - 04 Jan 1887)
- I have gone to some trouble in my own database to generate shortened versions of place names (e.g. "Cleveland, Bradley County, Tennessee" is represented in my Text+ Charts as "Cleveland, Bradley, TN"). At present, I don't think this technique prevents enough wrapped lines to try to distribute it as part of this mod, but I have packaged it as a separate mod, and can release it if there is interest.
Mod Change History
|Mod Version||TNG Versions||Date||Note|
|10.0.2.6||10.0.2||12Aug1014||First production release|
Visualization of this Mod
| Text+ Descendant Chart
| Text+ Pedigree Chart:
| Pedigree Chart with Siblings. Saved as an HTML file|
12-Generation Text+ Pedigree Chart. Saved as an HTML file
Sites using this mod
If you download and install this mod, please add your site to the table below.
|Robin Richmond's Genealogy Database||Robin Richmond||Mod developer||10.0.2.6||10.0.3||English|
|Mitchell Families Online||Roger Mitchell||Another great tool for visitors, very well implemented!||10.0.2.6||10.0.2||English|
|Turner mob||Margaret Grogan Turner||Another great tool for visitors, very well implemented!||10.0.2.6||10.0.3||English|