Difference between revisions of "TextPlus Charts"
(→Sites using this mod)
|Line 242:||Line 242:|
| Public site
| Public site
| NL, EN
| NL, EN
Revision as of 16:05, 16 April 2016
|Summary||Two new charts: Text+ Descendant Chart, and Text+ Ancestor Chart.|
|Author(s)||Robin Richmond with translations by Henny Savenije, Hendrik Martius, Bernard Wortelboer, & Jan-Thore Solem, and testing help from Henny Savenije and Alan Wilcox|
|Homepage||[TextPlus Charts] (This Page)|
|Mod Support||My Mod Support form or TNG Community Forums|
|Contact Developer||My Mod Support form|
|Latest Mod||10.1.0.10b for TNGv10.1.* |
10.0.2.10b for TNG v10.0.2 and 10.0.3
|Min TNG V||10.0.2|
|Max TNG V||10.1.2|
Descendant charts (descend.php, descendtext.php, desctracker.php, register.php),
Pedigree charts (pedigree.php, pedigreetext.php, verticalchart.php, ahnentafel.php, extrastree.php),
cust_text.php (English, Dutch, French, German, Norwegian),
Installs: descendtextplus.php, pedigreetextplus.php, tngdblib_textplus.php, English/textplus_help.php, German-UTF8/textplus_help.php, extensions/textplusmenu.png, extensions/textplusinnermenu.png
Purpose of the Mod
To define two new charts - The Text+ Pedigree Chart (on the Pedigree inner menu), and the Text+ Descendant Chart (on the Descendant Charts inner menu). Both charts follow a text format (basically an outline layout), and are accessed through the "innermenu" on Pedigree and Descendant chart pages.
Features of the new Charts
- They draw lines to connect people with their children.
- They display places of birth and death instead of just dates.
- New - They display alternate birth date and/or place (i.e. christening date/place) when birth date and/or place is missing.
- New - They display burial date and/or place when death date and/or place is missing. (Note that it removes some cemetery names (by searching for "Cemetery,") from burial place names.)
- For living people (when allowed by security constraints), they display the last known place of residence and the date of that residence event.
- They can (when the number of generations is set to zero) display ALL of a person's descendants or ancestors rather than a specific number of generations,
- They display a summary at the bottom of the chart, and
- They allow the user to save the chart parameters to a cookie for use by subsequent charts (whether initiated by the "New Chart" link at the end of a line, or by selecting the chart from an inner menu on a profile page or another chart).
The Text+ Descendant chart also:
- Displays date and place of marriage, and
- Displays the starting person's parents, with date and place of birth and death.
And the Text+ Pedigree chart:
- Can (optionally) display the siblings of each ancestor, giving a richer view of the family tree, and
- Can (optionally) display blank lines at certain points in the chart to improve readability.
Compatibility With Other Mods
No known conflicts with published mods. However, there is a conflict with older versions of an Add New Items mod that was written by Ian Fettes.
World map mod is an example of a mod that installs a chart program and modifies the Pedigree inner menu. There is no installation conflict, but the World Map program won't have the Text+ link, nor will the Text+ Pedigree programs have the World Map link. On the other hand, chart programs distributed with TNG releases (e.g. pedigree.php, pedigreetext.php, verticalchart.php) will have both links after both mods are installed.
New - This mod coordinates, in a sense, with Count Descendants, which also adds a link to the Descendant Chart inner menu. The descendtextplus.php program, installed by this mod, links to descendcount.php (which is installed by Count Descendants) if and only if descendcount.php is present, and descendcount.php links to descendtextplus.php if and only if descendtextplus.php is present.
Margins and Line-Wrapping
Because the Text+ charts draw lines connecting the generations, these charts cannot simply allow long lines of data to wrap at the browser window's (or printed page's) right margin. The Text+ chart programs have to know the window (or printed page's) width and the font size so that they can wrap lines of data at the appropriate point.
As a result, the Text+ chart programs contain a form with fields that specify printing parameters. Some parameters are visible in the 'main' program window. Other prameters that deal with font size and page width are visible only in the 'Print Formatting' window (i.e. the window that pop up when you click on the TNG "Print" button. Those parameters are described in detail in a help page associated with the Text+ chart programs.
(Author's note: Most web applications with such constraints would generate PDF files, which allow print characteristics to be controlled with more specificity, but I first wrote versions of the Text+ programs long before the PDF format became standard, and I've simply continued to use HTML with each new implementation.)
- A working TNG installation.
- An installed current version of the Mod Manager.
- You should backup files listed in the panel on the right.
- Remove and delete previous version of this mod.
- Backup the files updated by this mod. They are listed in the panel at the upper right.
- Download the .zip file, and extract its .cfg file and its subfolder to the mods folder.
- Follow the normal automated installation for Mod Manager, as shown in the example Mod Manager - Installing Config Files.
In the event of a problem
Visualization of this Mod
| Text+ Descendant Chart
| Text+ Descendant Chart in the "Pretty-Print Window
| Text+ Pedigree Chart
| Text+ Pedigree Chart in the "Pretty-Print" screen
| Pedigree Chart with Siblings. Saved as a PDF|
12-Generation Text+ Pedigree Chart. with extra blank lines
Saved as a PDF
|Text+ Pedigree Setup in the Admin / Setup / Chart Settings Form|
I have used the following techniques to conserve space and reduce the amount of line-wrapping:
- I use "??" instead of "Unknown"
- If a person was born and died in the same place, I only display the place once, like this: (Cleveland, Bradley, TN;15 Nov 1815 - 04 Jan 1887)
Mod Change History
|Mod Version||TNG Versions||Date||Note|
|Languages 10.0.2.10c||10.0.2 - 10.1.2||14 Sep 2015||Modified a few German, Dutch, and Norwegian strings that Google Translator messed up.|
|10.1.0.10b & 10.0.2.10b||10.0.2 - 10.1.2||6 Sep 2015||Added annotation to make the Chart Formatting Form and help text easier to find and use, especially on the pretty-print page. Also fixed a bug that prevented non-English language installations from saving printer formatting settings to a cookie.|
|languages 10.0.2.8b||10.0.2 - 10.1.1||27 May 2015||New German translations.|
|10.0.2.10 & 10.1.0.10||10.0.2 - 10.1.1||25 May 2015|| In the config file:
In descendtextplus.php and pedigreetextplus.php:
|10.0.2.9 & 10.1.0.9||10.0.2 - 10.1.1||12 Apr 2015||Displays christening data if birth data is missing, and burial data if death data is missing.|
|10.0.2.8 & 10.1.0.8||10.0.2 - 10.1||3 Feb 2015||
|10.1.0.7||10.1||12 Jan 2015||Updated database function calls for TNG v10.1 compatibility.|
|10.0.2.7||10.0.2-10.0.3||10 Jan 2015||Moves the printer-configuration form to the "Pretty-Print" page so that users can view charts without having to fuss with the printer configuration settings.|
|10.0.2.6||10.0.2||12Aug1014||First production release|
Sites using this mod
If you download and install this mod, please add your site to the table below.
|Robin Richmond's Genealogy Database||Robin Richmond||Mod developer||10.1.0.10b||10.1.2||English|
|Mitchell Families Online||Roger Mitchell||Another great tool for visitors, very well implemented!||10.1.0.8||10.1.0||English|
|Turner mob||Margaret Grogan Turner||Another great tool for visitors, thanks!||10.0.2.6||10.0.3||English|
|Hooley Family Links||Rick Hooley||Public Site||10.1.0.10a||10.1.1||EN|
|Wortelboer Genealogy||Bernard Wortelboer||Public site||10.1.0.10b||11.0.0||NL, EN|
|Solem||Jan-Thore Solem||Not public||10.1.0.7||10.1.0||Norwegian|
|Moss family tree||Chris Moss||Best text-based display. Public.||10.1.0.8/9||10.1.1||EN, DE, FR|
|Brady Family Tree in Western Australia||Darryl Brady||Public site||10.1.0.10b||10.1.1||EN, DE|