Difference between revisions of "TextPlus Charts"
(→Sites using this mod)
|Line 305:||Line 305:|
| 10.1.0.14 (TESTING)
| 10.1.0.14 (TESTING)
Revision as of 16:47, 9 March 2017
|Summary||Two new charts: Text+ Descendant Chart, and Text+ Ancestor Chart.|
See body of article for mod versions for TNGv10.0
|Author(s)||Robin Richmond with translations by Henny Savenije, Hendrik Martius, Bernard Wortelboer, & Jan-Thore Solem, and testing help from Henny Savenije and Alan Wilcox|
|Homepage||[TextPlus Charts] (This Page)|
|Mod Support||My Mod Support form or TNG Community Forums|
|Contact Developer||My Mod Support form|
|Latest Mod||10.1.0.12 for TNGv10.1.* and TNGv11.*|
10.0.2.10b for TNG v10.0.2 and 10.0.3
|Min TNG V||10.0.2|
|Max TNG V||11.0.1|
Descendant charts (descend.php, descendtext.php, desctracker.php, register.php),
Pedigree charts (pedigree.php, pedigreetext.php, verticalchart.php, ahnentafel.php, extrastree.php),
cust_text.php (English, Dutch, French, German, Norwegian),
Installs: descendtextplus.php, pedigreetextplus.php, tngdblib_textplus.php, English/textplus_help.php, German-UTF8/textplus_help.php, extensions/textplusmenu.png, extensions/textplusinnermenu.png
Purpose of the Mod
To define two new charts - The Text+ Pedigree Chart (on the Pedigree inner menu), and the Text+ Descendant Chart (on the Descendant Charts inner menu). Both charts follow a text format (basically an outline layout), and are accessed through the TNG "Inner Menu" (the link menu just below the TNG Tab Bar) on the Person Profile and on Pedigree and Descendant chart pages.
The options offered by this mod are implemented through the TNG Admin >> Setup >> Chart Settinsg menu.
- To select the Text+ Pedigree Chart as the default chart to generate when you click the "Pedigree" tab in the Person Profile,
- Select "Pedigree Chart" on the "Charts Settings" menu, and
- Select "Text+" the "Initial Display drop-down box.
- To select the Text+ Descendant Chart as the default chart to generate when you click the "Descendant" tab in the Person Profile,
- Select "Descendant Chart" on the "Charts Settings" menu, and
- Select "Text+" the "Initial Display drop-down box.
- If you install the TextPlus Charts mod as well as other mods that install links on the TNG Inner Menu, the Inner Menu can become awkwardly long. To save space on Inner Menu by eliminating the original "Text" links:
- Select "Common Elements" on the "Chart Settings" menu, and
- Check the "Yes" button next to the new "Hide Plain Text Chart Links" option at the bottom of the Common Elements sub-form.
Features of the Text+ Charts
- The Text+ Descendant Chart is very similar to the standard Descendant Text chart, but has several additional features.
- The Text+ Pedigree Chart is
- They draw lines to connect people with their children.
- They display places of birth and death instead of just dates.
- They display alternate birth date and/or place (i.e. christening date/place) when birth date and/or place is missing.
- They display burial date and/or place when death date and/or place is missing. (Note that it removes some cemetery names (by searching for "Cemetery,") from burial place names.)
- For living people (when allowed by security constraints), they display the last known place of residence and the date of that residence event.
- They can (when the number of generations is set to zero) display ALL of a person's descendants or ancestors rather than a specific number of generations,
- They display a summary at the bottom of the chart, and
- They allow the user to save the chart parameters to a cookie for use by subsequent charts (whether initiated by the "New Chart" link at the end of a line, or by selecting the chart from an inner menu on a profile page or another chart).
The Text+ Descendant chart also:
- The Text+ Descendant Chart displays date and place of marriage, and
- The Text+ Descendant Chart displays the starting person's parents, with date and place of birth and death.
And the Text+ Pedigree chart:
- The Text+ Pedigree Chart can (optionally) display the siblings of each ancestor, giving a richer view of the family tree, and
- The Text+ Pedigree Chart can (optionally) display blank lines at certain points in the chart to improve readability.
Compatibility With Other Mods
No known conflicts with published mods. However, there is a conflict with older versions of an Add New Items mod that was written by Ian Fettes.
This mod adds "Text+" links to the TNG "Inner Menu" of the Person Profile and distributed chart programs (the Pedigree Chart, Vertical Chart, Register Chart, etc). It coordinates with the Count Descendants, World Map, and Fan Chart mods so that
- In the Text+ Chart programs, links to the programs by those three mods will appear if and only if those programs are installed.
- In the programs installed by those three mods, a Text+ link will be displayed if the TextPlus Charts mod has been installed - no matter whether it was installed before or after the other mod.
However, some other mods also install chart programs that add links to the TNG "Inner Menu". Programs installed by those mods will not have Text+ links, and the Text+ Chart programs will not have links to those programs.
This mod requires Show Mod Names to be installed. It also depends on Blue Info Button to format the little information links that it places next to the new and modified options on the Admin >> Setup >> Chart Settings forms. (See the visualizations.) Failing to install Blue Info Button will not generate a mod conflict or run-time error; it will just fail to format those links.
Visualization of this Mod
| Text+ Descendant Chart
| Text+ Descendant Chart in the "Pretty-Print Window
| Text+ Pedigree Chart
| Text+ Pedigree Chart in the "Pretty-Print" screen
| Pedigree Chart with Siblings. Saved as a PDF|
12-Generation Text+ Pedigree Chart. with extra blank lines
Saved as a PDF
|Text+ Pedigree Setup in the Admin >> Setup >> Chart Settings Form|
Margins and Line-Wrapping
Because the Text+ charts draw lines connecting the generations, these charts cannot simply allow long lines of data to wrap at the browser window's (or printed page's) right margin. The Text+ chart programs have to know the window (or printed page's) width and the font size so that they can wrap lines of data at the appropriate point.
As a result, the Text+ chart programs contain a form with fields that specify printing parameters. Some parameters are visible in the 'main' program window. Other prameters that deal with font size and page width are visible only in the 'Print Formatting' window (i.e. the window that pop up when you click on the TNG "Print" button. Those parameters are described in detail in a help page associated with the Text+ chart programs.
(Author's note: Most web applications with such constraints would generate PDF files, which allow print characteristics to be controlled with more specificity, but I first wrote versions of the Text+ programs long before the PDF format became standard, and I've simply continued to use HTML with each new implementation.)
- A working TNG installation.
- An installed current version of the Mod Manager.
- You should backup files listed in the panel on the right.
- Remove and delete previous version of this mod.
- Backup the files updated by this mod. They are listed in the panel at the upper right.
- Download the .zip file, and extract its .cfg file and its subfolder to the mods folder.
- Follow the normal automated installation for Mod Manager, as shown in the example Mod Manager - Installing Config Files.
In the event of a problem
I have used the following techniques to reduce the amount of text required to display a person's data end place information, and thus reduce the amount of line-wrapping required to print these charts:
- I use "??" instead of "Unknown"
- If a person was born and died in the same place, I only display the place name once, like this: (Cleveland, Bradley, Tennessee, USA;15 Nov 1815 - 04 Jan 1887)
- I use a set of unpublished mods that stores two shorter versions of place names (e.g. "Cleveland, Cuyahoga, OH" and "Cleveland, OH" for "Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, USA". This scheme uses "place normalization" techniques to standardize the format of USA places, and then generates the shorter place names algorithmically. These mods affect several programs, such as the Person Profile and placesearch.php. If you're interested in trying to use this scheme, let me know, and I'll share the mods with you.
Mod for older TNG version
This mod was introduced with TNGv10.0.2. If you're still running TNGv10.0.2 or TNGv10.0.3, use these files:
- The primary mod: textplus_charts_v10.0.2.11.zip
- French, German, Dutch, and Norwegian Language Strings:
Mod Change History
|Mod Version||TNG Versions||Date||Note|
|10.1.0.12||10.1.2 - 11.0.1||15 Jun 2016||Added the system parameter that suppresses the link to the plain text charts, and the mod and its install programs now coordinate with the Ancestor Map and the Fan Chart.|
|Languages 10.0.2.10c||10.0.2 - 10.1.2||14 Sep 2015||Modified a few German, Dutch, and Norwegian strings that Google Translator messed up.|
|10.1.0.10b & 10.0.2.10b||10.0.2 - 10.1.2||6 Sep 2015||Added annotation to make the Chart Formatting Form and help text easier to find and use, especially on the pretty-print page. Also fixed a bug that prevented non-English language installations from saving printer formatting settings to a cookie.|
|languages 10.0.2.8b||10.0.2 - 10.1.1||27 May 2015||New German translations.|
|10.0.2.10 & 10.1.0.10||10.0.2 - 10.1.1||25 May 2015|| In the config file:
In descendtextplus.php and pedigreetextplus.php:
|10.0.2.9 & 10.1.0.9||10.0.2 - 10.1.1||12 Apr 2015||Displays christening data if birth data is missing, and burial data if death data is missing.|
|10.0.2.8 & 10.1.0.8||10.0.2 - 10.1||3 Feb 2015||
|10.1.0.7||10.1||12 Jan 2015||Updated database function calls for TNG v10.1 compatibility.|
|10.0.2.7||10.0.2-10.0.3||10 Jan 2015||Moves the printer-configuration form to the "Pretty-Print" page so that users can view charts without having to fuss with the printer configuration settings.|
|10.0.2.6||10.0.2||12 Aug 2014||First production release|
Sites using this mod
If you download and install this mod, please add your site to the table below.
|Robin Richmond's Genealogy Database||Robin Richmond||Mod developer||10.1.0.12||11.0.1||English|
|Mitchell Families Online||Roger Mitchell||Another great tool for visitors, very well implemented!||10.1.0.8||10.1.0||English|
|Turner mob||Margaret Grogan Turner||Another great tool for visitors, thanks!||10.0.2.6||10.0.3||English|
|Hooley Family Links||Rick Hooley||Public Site||10.1.0.10a||10.1.1||EN|
|Wortelboer Genealogy||Bernard Wortelboer||Public site||10.1.0.10b||11.0.0||NL, EN|
|Solem||Jan-Thore Solem||Not public||10.1.0.7||10.1.0||Norwegian|
|Moss family tree||Chris Moss||Best text-based display. Public.||10.1.0.8/9||10.1.1||EN, DE, FR|
|Brady Family Tree in Western Australia||Darryl Brady||Public site||10.1.0.12||11.0.1||EN, DE|
|Roots & Relatives Remembered||Ron Krzmarzick||Partially-Public - Brilliant Text Mod!||10.1.0.14 (TESTING)||11.1||EN|
|Our Family Links||Chuck Filteau||Public site, modified Template 12||10.1.0.12||v10.1.2||EN|