|Summary||Two new charts: Text+ Descendant Chart, and Text+ Ancestor Chart.|
|Mod Updated||11 Nov 2018|
Czech, Dutch, French, German, Norwegian, Spanish: languages_v126.96.36.199eSee Revision History
|Author(s)||Robin Richmond with translations by Ken Roy, Henny Savenije, Hendrik Martius, Bernard Wortelboer, Ron Krzmarzick, and Kåre Kjøllesdal.|
|Homepage||TextPlus Charts (This Page)|
|Mod Support||My Mod Support form or TNG Community Forums|
|Contact Developer||My Mod Support form|
|Min TNG V||12.0|
|Max TNG V||12.0.2+|
Descendant charts (descend.php, descendtext.php, desctracker.php, register.php),
Pedigree charts (pedigree.php, pedigreetext.php, verticalchart.php, ahnentafel.php, extrastree.php),
cust_text.php (English, Dutch, French, German, Norwegian),
Installs: rrtextplus_descend.php, rrtextplus_ancestor.php, rrtextplus_lib.php, rrtextplus_lib.js, rrtextplus_innermenuedit.php, English textplus_help.php, Czech, English, French, Dutch, German, Norwegian, and Spanish cust_text.php. Several images are installed in the Languages/English folder.
Some language strings have not yet been translated. See #Language_Strings
Purpose of the Mod
To define two new charts - Text+ Ancestor Chart, and Text+ Descendant Chart. Both charts follow a text format (basically an outline layout), and are accessed through the TNG "Inner Menu" (the link menu just below the TNG Tab Bar) on the Person Profile and on Pedigree and Descendant chart pages. The modified list of links in the Descendant Inner menu looks link this:
Standard | Compact | Text | Text+ | Register | PDF
Features of the Text+ Charts
- The Text+ Descendant Chart is very similar to TNG's Text Descendant Chart, but has several additional features.
- The Text+ Pedigree Chart serves the same purpose as TNG's Text Ancestor Chart, but does not use the standard 4-generations-per-page Pedigree format. It can display at least 15 or so generations in one chart that is one page wide and several pages long. It also has some of the same 'additional features' as the Text plus Descendant Chart.
This mod adds option values to two fields in the options form at Admin>>Setup>>Chart Settings:
- The Text+ Ancestor Chart can be set as the default "Pedigree" chart. To do so:
- Open the "Pedigree Chart" section of the Chart Settings form.
- Select "Text+" in the "Initial Display" drop-down box.
- The Text+ Descendant Chart can be set as the default Descendant chart. To do so:
- Open the "Descendant Chart" section of Chart Settings form.
- Select "Text+" in the "Initial Display" drop-down box.
This mod has two Mod Parameter (i.e. Mod Options):
- The initial "Page Width" setting for the "Format for Printing" window, which defaults to "Portrait". The print-formatting cookie that can be saved from the Format for Printing window overrides this value.
- The initial "Page Width" setting for the "main" TNG window, which defaults to "Landscape". There is no cookie or other setting to override this setting.
- Print Formatting - Text+ charts cannot depend on the web browser to wrap long lines at the right margin. (To learn why, see Margins and Line-Wrapping below.) As a result, both Text+ chart programs depend on run-time parameters to control the width of the Text+ charts. Each of these controls have initial defaults, and the values that are used when printing a chart can be saved to be used as the default for subsequent charts.
- Content Controls - The content of Text+ charts can be adjusted at run-time with options such as
- Generations numbers & sibling numbers;
- Adding siblings to an Ancestor chart,
- Using a more compact chart format, and
- Highlighting the names in a chosen generation.
All users of the Text+ Charts can save their preferred Print Formatting options (mentioned above and described in the Text+ Charts help file). There are separate cookies for the Text+ Ancestor and Descendant charts.
No known conflicts with published mods. However, there is a conflict with older versions of an Add New Items mod that was written by Ian Fettes.
This mod coordinates with Count Descendants v9+ in two distinct ways.
- The Descendant Inner menu links:
- The Text+ Descendancy Chart program installed by this mod contains a link to the Count Descendants chart. But the "Count" link is displayed only if Count Descendants is installed.
- Similarly, the Count Descendants Chart installed by Count Descendants contains a link to the The Text+ Descendancy Chart, and that "Text+" link is displayed only if this mod ([[[TextPlus Charts]]) is installed.
- The Admin >> Setup >> Chart Settings form
- Both mods add
- (1) An option to the "Initial Display" selection box in the "Descendancy Chart" section of the Chart Settings form, and
- (2) A help link next to that selection box
- The two mods coordinate over that help link in two ways:
- Both mods add text to the Chart Setting help file describing the choice(s) they add to the Chart Settings form.
- The two help file links to the help text necessarily use different anchors in the Chart Settings help file, and that only one of the two help file links get created. However, since both new blocks of text are small, and at the bottom of the help file, the text created by both mods should be visible no matter which link has been created and followed by a user.
- The Inner Menu of the Text+ Ancestor chart has a link ('Map') to the Ancestor Map. That link is visible only if the program installed by Ancestor map (mappedigree.php) exists.
- The Inner Menu of Ancestor map v188.8.131.52 does not contain a link to the Text Plus Ancestor Chart, but
- I expect Ancestor map v184.108.40.206 to be released with such a link soon.
- The Inner Menu of the Text+ Ancestor chart has a link to the "Parent Lines" chart installed by Male Female and Parent Lines. That link is visible only if the chart program (lines.php) installed by Male Female and Parent Lines exists.
- Similarly, the Inner Menu of the Text+ Descendant chart has Inner Menu links to the "Male Lines" and "Female Lines" variants of the native Text Descendant chart. Those links are visible only if Male Female and Parent Lines has been installed.
- The "Parent Lines" chart installed by Male Female and Parent Lines does not have a link to the Text+ Ancestor chart.
- The "Male Lines" and "Females Lines" charts do link to the Text+ Descendant chart, since they are not new programs; they are generated by the Text Descendant chart program (after modification by Male Female and Parent Lines).
Show Mod Names
Like almost all of my mods, the code installed by TextPlus Charts collects information that can be used by Show Mod Names, but only if Show Mod Names is installed. TextPlus Charts is not dependent on Show Mod Names.
This mod has a subfolder containing files that are installed by TextPlus Charts. The subfolder has filename as the primary .zip file, textplus_charts_v12.x.y.za. (Note that when I issue an interim update with an alphabetic version suffix, I do update the subfolder name, too.) When you download and extract the primary .zip file, be sure that you copy the subfolder to your mods folder along with the .cfg file.
There are also two .zip files for translations. They must be downloaded separately. Each of those .zip files contains just a .cfg file; no subfolder. [Show Installation Details]
- A working TNG installation.
- An installed current version of the Mod Manager.
- You should backup files listed in the panel on the right.
- Remove and delete previous version of this mod.
- Backup the files updated by this mod. They are listed in the panel at the upper right.
- Download the .zip file, Extract its .cfg file to the mods folder.
- Follow the normal automated installation for Mod Manager, as shown in the example Mod Manager - Installing Config Files.
The screen clips displayed here are annotated more thoroughly (with additional screen clips) in the Text+ Charts help file, which can be found on the mod author's TNG site]
|1. Text+ Descendant Chart - In the main window (as opposed to the "Format for Printing" window)|
|2. Text+ Descendant Chart in the Format for Printing window.
|3. Text+ Ancestor Chart in the main window.|
The Text+ Ancestor Chart uses what might be called a "double outline" format in which:
This layout is more like an outline-formatted Descendancy Chart(such as the Text+ Descendant Chart) than a standard Pedigree Chart, which
As a result (especially when they contain more than 4 or 5 generations), Text+ Ancestor Charts have less whitespace than comparable Pedigree Charts, and are much narrower and thus much easier to print, but tend to be a good bit longer.
On the second line of the Text+ Ancestor Chart Inner Menu
As with the Text+ Descendant chart, the line wrapping is done by the program, not by the web browser.
| 4. Full Text+ Chart Examples saved as PDFs
(Note: In the Ancestor Chart PDFs, some of the vertical lines are colored. I do not know why, except that the coloring seems to an artifact of some browsers, at certain zoom levels.)
|5. Text+ Pedigree Setup in the Admin >> Setup >> Chart Settings Form|
|This mod adds a "Text+" option to the "Initial Display" selection in both the "Pedigree Chart" and "Descendant Chart" sections of the options form. These options allow you to define the Text+ charts as your default Pedigree and/or Descendant charts.|
This mod defines numerous language strings, and Czech, Dutch, French, German, Norwegian, and Spanish translations. However, in the current release of the language .cfg files (one for ISO, and one for UTF-8), not all of the Dutch, German, and Norwegian strings have been translated. As translations come in, I will update the language .cfg files, and increment the letter suffix to the .cfg file version number.
The ISO .cfg file is encoded with the ANSI/ISO character set, since most of the ISO cust_text.php files are encode in ANSI/ISO.
Margins and Line-Wrapping
Because the Text+ charts draw vertical lines connecting the generations, these charts cannot simply allow long lines of data to wrap at the browser window's (or printed page's) right margin. The Text+ chart programs have to know the window (or printed page's) width and the font size so that they can wrap lines of data at the appropriate point.
As a result, the Text+ chart programs contain a form that specifies printing options. One printing option (the "Page Width") is visible in the main program window. Other parameters that deal with font size and page width are visible only in the 'Format for Printing' window. Those parameters are described in detail in the Text+ Charts help file.
It is significant to note that the algorithm used by Text+ programs is not perfect, so one of the print-formatting options is a fudge factor (just labeled +/-) that can be used to adjust the page width when the algorithm misses its mark. Because of this innacuracy, printing a report with an ideal right margin can take a few cycles of looking at print previews in the web browser, and adjusting the fudge factor to assure that lines are
- not so long that the web browser wraps them all the ways to the left margin, and
- not so short that they leave too large a right margin.
The Text+ charts use non-standard presentations of dates and placenames to reduce the number of characters required to display a person's data, and thus to reduce the amount of line-wrapping required to print a chart:
- "Unknown" is displayed as "??", and, in some cases, omitted.
- If an individual was born and died in the same place, the placename is displayed only once, e.g.
Cleveland, Bradley, Tennessee, USA;15 Nov 1815 - 04 Jan 1887.
- When both the date and place are unknown, nothing is printed.
- I also use an unpublished mod to create shorter versions of USA place names (e.g. "Cleveland, Cuyahoga, OH" for "Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, USA". At present, this scheme depends on four(!?!) other published mods: Gedcom Converter, Placename Format, Placesearch-More Info, and Burials-More Details. If you're interested in using short place names, let me know, and I'll share the mod with you.
Inner Menu Utility
If you install the TextPlus Charts mod and other mods that place links on the Ancestors or Descendants Inner Menus, those Inner Menus can become awkwardly long. Since there is some overlap between the native Text charts and the corresponding Text+ charts, some TNG admins have requested a way to suppress the native "Text" links in the innermenus. This mod installs a utility program that does exactly that in selected chart program. The is invoked only through a link in the TextPlus Charts mod description in Mod Manager. Be aware, however, that
- The native Text Ancestor chart is very different in appearance from the Text+ Ancestor, so you may want to keep both links in place.
- The native Text Descendant chart has a new ancestor-tracking feature that is not found in the Text+ Descendant chart.Specifically, the native Text Ancestor chart now displays the child number of each ancestor. (That is, it could indicate that the current person is the first child of the 3rd child of the 2nd child, etc.)
|Mod Version||TNG Versions||Date||Note|
||12.0-12.0.2+||22Nov2018|| No structural changes to the charts themselves.
|v220.127.116.11d||12.0-12.0.2+||10 Nov 2018|| No structural changes to the charts.
Changed the values of the generations parameter that the TextPlus chart programs pass to other chart programs in their InnerMenu. Basically, the generations parameter used by the TextPlus charts was sometimes too large for some of the other charts.
|v18.104.22.168b||12.0-12.0.2+||10 Nov 2018||
Mod Manager mod list (not through the Admin Chart Settings)
French, Dutch, German, Norwegian UTF8 translations: utf8_v10.1.0.13
French, Dutch, German, Norwegian non-UTF translations: iso_v10.0.1.13
Zip file that includes all three .cfg files: v10.0.1.13b-all
|10.1.0 - 22.214.171.124+||5 Dec 2017|| * The only meaningful functional enhancement is that, in the Descendant Text+ Chart, the counts in the summary at the bottom of the chart change as you collapse and expand tree branches. |
User interface changes:
|10.1.0.12||10.1.2 - 11.0.1||15 Jun 2016|| Added the system parameter that suppresses the link to the plain text charts, and the mod and its install programs now coordinate with the Ancestor Map and the Fan Chart.|
|126.96.36.199 download||10.0.2 - 10.0.3||17 Feb 2016||
|Languages 10.0.2.10b||10.0.2 - 10.1.2||14 Sep 2015|| Modified a few German, Dutch, and Norwegian strings that Google Translator messed up.|
|10.1.0.10b & 10.0.2.10b||10.0.2 - 10.1.2||6 Sep 2015||Added annotation to make the Chart Formatting Form and help text easier to find and use, especially on the pretty-print page. Also fixed a bug that prevented non-English language installations from saving printer formatting settings to a cookie.|
|languages 10.0.2.8b||10.0.2 - 10.1.1||27 May 2015||New German translations.|
|10.0.2.10 & 10.1.0.10||10.0.2 - 10.1.1||25 May 2015|| In the config file:
In descendtextplus.php and pedigreetextplus.php:
|10.0.2.9 & 10.1.0.9||10.0.2 - 10.1.1||12 Apr 2015||Displays christening data if birth data is missing, and burial data if death data is missing.|
|10.0.2.8 & 10.1.0.8||10.0.2 - 10.1||3 Feb 2015||
|10.1.0.7||10.1||12 Jan 2015||Updated database function calls for TNG v10.1 compatibility.|
|10.0.2.7||10.0.2-10.0.3||10 Jan 2015||Moves the printer-configuration form to the "Pretty-Print" page so that users can view charts without having to fuss with the printer configuration settings.|
|10.0.2.6||10.0.2||12 Aug 2014||First production release|
Sites using this mod
If you download and install this mod, please add your site to the table below.
|Robin Richmond's Genealogy Database||Robin Richmond||Mod developer||10.1.0.12||11.0.1||English|
|Van der Maarel Genealogy||Edward van der Maarel||188.8.131.52d||12.0.2||EN, NL|
|Mitchell Families Online||Roger Mitchell||Another great tool for visitors, very well implemented!||10.1.0.8||10.1.0||English|
|Turner mob||Margaret Grogan Turner||Another great tool for visitors, thanks!||10.0.2.6||10.0.3||English|
|Hooley Family Links||Rick Hooley||Public/Private Site||See Here||See Here||EN|
|Wortelboer Genealogy||Bernard Wortelboer||Public site||10.1.0.10b||11.0.0||NL, EN|
|Solem||Jan-Thore Solem||Not public||10.1.0.7||10.1.0||Norwegian|
|Moss family tree||Chris Moss||Best text-based display. Public.||10.1.0.12a||11.1.2||EN, DE, FR|
|Brady Family Tree in Western Australia||Darryl Brady||Public site||10.1.0.12||11.0.1||EN, DE|
|Roots & Relatives Remembered||Ron Krzmarzick||Public & Private||184.108.40.206e||See Here||EN,DE,CS,ES|
|Our Family Links||Chuck Filteau||Public site, modified Template 12||10.1.0.12||v10.1.2||EN|
|Racine d'Alsace||J-Louis Valory||Public/Private - T17 customized||220.127.116.11a||12.0.2||FR|
|Journeys in Genealogy||Patrick Thrush||Public WordPress/TNG bundle||18.104.22.168e||12.0.3||English|
|Our Family Histories||Bryan S. Larson||See Here||See Here||English|