|Summary||Two new charts: Text+ Descendant Chart, and Text+ Ancestor Chart.|
French, German, and Dutch translations for all versions:textplus_charts_languages_v10.0.2.8.zip
|Author(s)||Robin Richmond with translations by Henny Savenije ∧ Jan-Thore Solem, and testing help from Henny Savenije and Alan Wilcox|
|Homepage||Robin Richmond's Genealogy Database|
|Mod Support||My Mod Support form or TNG Forums|
|Contact Developer||My Mod Support form|
|Latest Mod||10.1.0.8 for TNGv10.1|
10.0.2.8 for TNG v10.0.2 and 10.0.3
|Min TNG V||10.0.2|
|Max TNG V||10.1|
Descendant charts (descend.php, descendtext.php, desctracker.php, register.php),
Pedigree charts (pedigree.php, pedigreetext.php, verticalchart.php, ahnentafel.php, extrastree.php),
cust_text.php (English and English-UTF8),
Installs: descendtextplus.php, pedigreetextplus.php, tngdblib_textplus.php, languages/English/textplus_help.php, extensions/textplusmenu.png, extensions/textplusinnermenu.png
Purpose of the Mod
To define two new charts - The Text+ Pedigree Chart (on the Pedigree inner menu), and the Text+ Descendant Chart (on the Descendant Charts inner menu). Both charts follow a text format (basically an outline layout), but they also:
- Draw lines to connect people with their children.
- Display places of birth and death instead of just dates.
- For living people (when allowed by security constraints), display the last known place of residence and the date of that residence event.
- Can (when the number of generations is set to zero) display ALL of a person's descendants or ancestors rather than a specific number of generations,
- Display a summary at the bottom of the chart, and
- Allow the user to save the chart parameters to a cookie for use by subsequent charts (whether initiated by the "New Chart" link at the end of a line, or by selecting the chart from an inner menu on a profile page or another chart).
The Text+ Descendant chart also:
- Displays date and place of marriage, and
- Displays the starting person's parents, with date and place of birth and death.
And the Text+ Pedigree chart:
- Can (optionally) display the siblings of each ancestor, giving a richer view of the family tree, and
- Can (optionally) display blank lines at certain points in the chart to improve readability.
Compatibility With Other Mods
No known conflicts with published mods. However, there is a conflict with older versions of an Add New Items mod that was written by Ian Fettes. I have a workaround for those older versions, though a newer version, available from the author, avoids that conflict.
Also, World map mod is an example of a another mod that installs a chart program and modifies the Pedigree inner menu. There is no installation conflict, but the World Map program won't have the Text+ link, nor will the Text+ Pedigree programs have the World Map link. On the other hand, chart programs distributed with TNG releases (e.g. pedigree.php, pedigreetext.php, verticalchart.php) would have both links after both mods are installed.
Margins and Line-Wrapping
Because the Text+ charts draw lines connecting the generations, these charts cannot simply allow long lines of data to wrap at the browser window's (or printed page's) right margin. The Text+ chart programs have to know the window (or printed page's) width and the font size so that they can wrap lines of data at the appropriate point.
As a result, the Text+ chart programs contain a form with fields that specify printing parameters. Those parameters are described in detail in a help page associated with the Text+ chart programs.
(Author's note: Most web applications with such constraints would generate PDF files, which allow print characteristics to be controlled with more specificity, but I first wrote versions of the Text+ programs long before the PDF format became standard, and I've simply continued to use HTML with each new implementation.)
- A working TNG installation.
- An installed current version of the Mod Manager.
- You should backup files listed in the panel on the right.
- Remove and delete previous version of this mod.
- Backup the files updated by this mod. They are listed in the panel at the upper right.
- Download the .zip file, and extract its .cfg file to the mods folder.
- Follow the normal automated installation for Mod Manager, as shown in the example Mod Manager - Installing Config Files.
In the event of a problem
Visualization of this Mod
| Text+ Descendant Chart
| Text+ Descendant Chart in the "Pretty-Print Window
| Text+ Pedigree Chart
| Text+ Pedigree Chart in the "Pretty-Print" screen
| Pedigree Chart with Siblings. Saved as a PDF|
12-Generation Text+ Pedigree Chart. with extra blank lines
Saved as a PDF
|Text+ Pedigree Setup in the Admin / Setup / Chart Settings Form|
The following strings are defined in the English and English-UTF8 versions of cust_test.php
//TextPlus Charts mod: new strings $text['age'] = "Age"; $text['pedtextplus'] = "Text+"; $text['help'] = "Help for this area"; $text['textplusdescendfor'] = "Text+ Descendancy Chart for"; $text['textpluspedigreefor'] = "Text+ Pedigree Chart for"; $text['nofit'] = "At these printer settings, there is no room for generation"; //The next few strings are used in the TextPlus innermenu form $text['fontsize'] = "Size"; $text['indentation'] = "Indentation"; $text['pagewidth'] = "Width"; $text['portrait'] = "Portrait"; $text['landscape'] = "Landscape"; $text['legal'] = "Legal"; $text['characters'] = "chars"; $text['frmsiblings'] = "Siblings"; $text['submit'] = "Submit"; $text['save'] = "Save"; $text['blanklines'] = "Blank Lines"; //Strings for the text+ descendant chart summary: $text['chartrequired'] = "This chart required"; $text['linesprint'] = "lines to print"; $text['peopleincl'] = "people (including"; $text['spousesin'] = "spouses) in"; $text['lcgenerations'] = "generations"; //lowercase version $text['plus1parent'] = "plus 1 parent"; $text['plus'] = "plus"; $text['sumparents'] = "parents"; $text['peoplehave'] = "people have"; $text['personhas'] = "person has"; $text['additionaldesc'] = "additional descendants not shown on this chart"; $text['descendantsof'] = "Descendants of"; //Strings for the text+ pedigree chart summary $text['chartdisplayed'] = "This chart displayed"; $text['directanc'] = "direct ancestors"; $text['ancestorsof'] = "Ancestors of"; $text['additionalanc'] = "additional ancestors not shown on this chart"; $text['among'] = "among"; $text['sumpeople'] = "people"; $text['in'] = "in"; //Strings used to compose the date/place values $text['unknownvalue'] = "unknown"; $text['unknowndisplay'] = "??"; $text['alive'] = "alive"; $text['married1'] = "m"; //The prefix for marriage date place, e.g. (m.01 Jan 1911) //For admin_pedconfig.php $admtext['pedtextplus'] = "Text+"; //Added in mod version 8 $text['werecousins'] = "This couple were related to each other. Any descendants have been already been listed"; $text['hideliving'] = "Hide data of living people"; $text['hidedesc'] = "Hide descendants of living people"; //TextPlus Charts mod: End of new strings
I have used the following techniques to conserve space and reduce the amount of line-wrapping:
- I use "??" instead of "Unknown"
- If a person was born and died in the same place, I only display the place once, like this: (Cleveland, Bradley, TN;15 Nov 1815 - 04 Jan 1887)
- I have gone to some trouble in my own database to generate shortened versions of place names (e.g. "Cleveland, Bradley County, Tennessee" is represented in my Text+ Charts as "Cleveland, Bradley, TN"). At present, I don't think this technique prevents enough wrapped lines to try to distribute it as part of this mod, but I have packaged it as a separate mod, and can release it if there is interest.
Mod Change History
|Mod Version||TNG Versions||Date||Note|
|10.0.2.8 & 10.1.0.8||10.0.2 - 10.1||3 Feb 2015||
|10.1.0.7||10.1||12 Jan 2015||Updated database function calls for TNG v10.1 compatibility.|
|10.0.2.7||10.0.2-10.0.3||10 Jan 2015||Moves the printer-configuration form to the "Pretty-Print" page so that users can view charts without having to fuss with the printer configuration settings.|
|10.0.2.6||10.0.2||12Aug1014||First production release|
Sites using this mod
If you download and install this mod, please add your site to the table below.
|Robin Richmond's Genealogy Database||Robin Richmond||Mod developer||10.0.2.6||10.0.3||English|
|Mitchell Families Online||Roger Mitchell||Another great tool for visitors, very well implemented!||10.1.0.8||10.1.0||English|
|Turner mob||Margaret Grogan Turner||Another great tool for visitors, thanks!||10.0.2.6||10.0.3||English|
|Hooley Family Links||Rick Hooley||login: guest pwd: guest||10.0.2.6||10.0.3||EN|
|Wortelboer Genealogy||Bernard Wortelboer||Public site||10.1.0.7||10.1.0||NL, EN|
|Solem||Jan-Thore Solem||Not public||10.1.0.7||10.1.0||Norwegian|