|Summary||Two new charts: Text+ Descendant Chart, and Text+ Ancestor Chart.|
|Mod Updated||28 Dec 2017|
See the Revision History for older versions of the mod.
|Author(s)||Robin Richmond with translations by Henny Savenije, Hendrik Martius, Bernard Wortelboer, & Jan-Thore Solem, and testing help from Henny Savenije and Alan Wilcox|
|Homepage||TextPlus Charts (This Page)|
|Mod Support||My Mod Support form or TNG Community Forums|
|Contact Developer||My Mod Support form|
|Min TNG V||10.1.0|
|Max TNG V||220.127.116.11+|
Descendant charts (descend.php, descendtext.php, desctracker.php, register.php),
Pedigree charts (pedigree.php, pedigreetext.php, verticalchart.php, ahnentafel.php, extrastree.php),
cust_text.php (English, Dutch, French, German, Norwegian),
Installs: descendtextplus.php, pedigreetextplus.php, tngdblib_textplus.php, English/textplus_help.php, German-UTF8/textplus_help.php, extensions/textplusmenu.png, extensions/textplusinnermenu.png
Purpose of the Mod
To define two new charts - The Text+ Pedigree Chart (on the Pedigree inner menu), and the Text+ Descendant Chart (on the Descendant Charts inner menu). Both charts follow a text format (basically an outline layout), and are accessed through the TNG "Inner Menu" (the link menu just below the TNG Tab Bar) on the Person Profile and on Pedigree and Descendant chart pages.
Features of the Text+ Charts
- The Text+ Descendant Chart is very similar to TNG's Text Descendant Chart, but has several additional features.
- The Text+ Pedigree Chart serves the same purpose as TNG's Text Ancestor Chart, but does not use the standard 4-generations-per-page Pedigree format, and can display at least 15 or so generations in one chart that is one page wide and several pages long. It also has some of the same 'additional features' as the Text plus Descendant Chart.
- Both charts draw lines to connect people with their children.
- Both charts display places of birth and death instead of just dates.
- Both charts display alternate birth date and/or place (i.e. christening date/place) when the birth date and/or place is missing.
- Both charts display burial date and/or place when the death date and/or place is missing. (In doing so, they remove some cemetery names (by searching for "Cemetery,") from burial place names.)
- For living people (when allowed by security constraints),both charts display the last known place of residence and the date of that residence event.
- Both charts can (when the number of generations is set to zero) display ALL of a person's descendants or ancestors rather than a specific number of generations,
- Both charts display a summary at the bottom of the chart, and
- Both charts have parameters that control the size and spacing of the charts. Some parameters are available in what I'll refer to as the 'standard' TNG page view, and some parameters are available only in the TNG 'print-format' view.
- Both charts allow the user to save the chart parameters to a cookie for use by subsequent charts (whether initiated by the "New Chart" link at the end of a line, or by selecting the chart from an inner menu on a profile page or another chart).
The Text+ Descendant Chart also:
- Displays the date and place of marriage, and
- Displays the starting person's parents, with date and place of birth and death.
And the Text+ Ancestor Chart:
- Can (optionally) display the siblings of each ancestor, giving a richer view of the family tree, and
- Can (optionally) display blank lines at certain points in the chart to improve readability.
The options offered by this mod are implemented through the TNG Admin >> Setup >> Chart Settings menu.
- To select the Text+ Pedigree Chart as the default chart to generate when you click the "Pedigree" tab in the Person Profile,
- Select "Pedigree Chart" on the "Charts Settings" menu, and
- Select "Text+" the "Initial Display drop-down box.
- To select the Text+ Descendant Chart as the default chart to generate when you click the "Descendant" tab in the Person Profile,
- Select "Descendant Chart" on the "Charts Settings" menu, and
- Select "Text+" the "Initial Display drop-down box.
- If you install the TextPlus Charts mod as well as other mods that install links on the TNG Inner Menu, the Inner Menu can become awkwardly long. To save space on Inner Menu by eliminating the original "Text" links:
- Select "Common Elements" on the "Chart Settings" menu, and
- Check the "Yes" button next to the new "Hide Plain Text Chart Links" option at the bottom of the Common Elements sub-form.
Compatibility With Other Mods
No known conflicts with published mods. However, there is a conflict with older versions of an Add New Items mod that was written by Ian Fettes.
This mod adds "Text+" links to the TNG "Inner Menu" of the Person Profile and distributed chart programs (the Pedigree Chart, Vertical Chart, Register Chart, etc). It coordinates with the Count Descendants, World Map, and Fan Chart mods so that
- In the Text+ Chart programs, links to the programs by those three mods will appear if and only if those programs are installed.
- In the programs installed by those three mods, a Text+ link will be displayed if the TextPlus Charts mod has been installed - no matter whether it was installed before or after the other mod.
However, some other mods also install chart programs that add links to the TNG "Inner Menu". Programs installed by those mods will not have Text+ links, and the Text+ Chart programs will not have links to those programs.
Starting with mod version 14, this mod does not require that Show Mod Names or Blue Info Button be installed. It does use the functionality of Show Mod Names if Show Mod Names is installed, but it does not depend on it.
Margins and Line-Wrapping
Because the Text+ charts draw lines connecting the generations, these charts cannot simply allow long lines of data to wrap at the browser window's (or printed page's) right margin. The Text+ chart programs have to know the window (or printed page's) width and the font size so that they can wrap lines of data at the appropriate point.
As a result, the Text+ chart programs contain a form with fields that specify printing parameters. Some parameters are visible in the 'main' program window. Other parameters that deal with font size and page width are visible only in the 'Format for Printing' window. Those parameters are described in detail in a help page associated with the Text+ chart programs.
(Author's note: Most web applications with such constraints would generate PDF files, which allow print characteristics to be controlled with more specificity, but I first wrote versions of the Text+ programs long before the PDF format became standard, and I've simply continued to use HTML with each new implementation.)
- A working TNG installation.
- An installed current version of the Mod Manager.
- You should backup files listed in the panel on the right.
- Uninstall any previous versions of this mod.
- Backup the files updated by this mod. They are listed in the panel at the upper right.
- Download the .zip file, and extract its .cfg file and its subfolder to the mods folder.
- Follow the normal automated installation for Mod Manager, as shown in the example Mod Manager - Installing Config Files.
In the event of a problem
I have used the following techniques to reduce the amount of text required to display a person's data end place information, and thus reduce the amount of line-wrapping required to print these charts:
- I use "??" instead of "Unknown"
- If a person was born and died in the same place, I only display the place name once, like this:
(Cleveland, Bradley, Tennessee, USA;15 Nov 1815 - 04 Jan 1887)
- I also have use an unpublished mod that stores two shorter versions of place names (e.g. "Cleveland, Cuyahoga, OH" and "Cleveland, OH" for "Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, USA". This scheme uses "place normalization" techniques to standardize the format of USA places, and then generates the shorter place names algorithmically. These mods affect several programs, such as the Person Profile and placesearch.php. If you're interested in trying to use this scheme, let me know, and I'll share the mods with you.
If you install the TextPlus Charts mod as well as other mods that place links on the Ancestors or Descendants Inner Menus, those Inner Menus can become awkwardly long. A utility program that eliminates the native Descendant and/or Ancestor Text chart is available through a link in the mod description in Mod Manager. Be aware, however, that, with TNGv11, the native Text Descendant chart has a new ancestor-tracking feature that is not found in the Text+ Descendant chart. The Text+ Descendant chart can count generations and children, but the native Text+ chart's ancestor-tracking feature conveys more information.
(The most recent mod versions are at the top of this table.)
|Mod Version||TNG Versions||Date||Note|
|10.1.0.13b||10.1.0 - 18.104.22.168+||5 Dec 2017|| * The only meaningful functional enhancement is that, in the Descendant Text+ Chart, the counts in the summary at the bottom of the chart change as you collapse and expand tree branches. |
User interface changes:
|10.1.0.12||10.1.2 - 11.0.1||15 Jun 2016|| Added the system parameter that suppresses the link to the plain text charts, and the mod and its install programs now coordinate with the Ancestor Map and the Fan Chart.|
|22.214.171.124 download||10.0.2 - 10.0.3||17 Feb 2016||
|Languages 10.0.2.10b||10.0.2 - 10.1.2||14 Sep 2015|| Modified a few German, Dutch, and Norwegian strings that Google Translator messed up.|
|10.1.0.10b & 10.0.2.10b||10.0.2 - 10.1.2||6 Sep 2015||Added annotation to make the Chart Formatting Form and help text easier to find and use, especially on the pretty-print page. Also fixed a bug that prevented non-English language installations from saving printer formatting settings to a cookie.|
|languages 10.0.2.8b||10.0.2 - 10.1.1||27 May 2015||New German translations.|
|10.0.2.10 & 10.1.0.10||10.0.2 - 10.1.1||25 May 2015|| In the config file:
In descendtextplus.php and pedigreetextplus.php:
|10.0.2.9 & 10.1.0.9||10.0.2 - 10.1.1||12 Apr 2015||Displays christening data if birth data is missing, and burial data if death data is missing.|
|10.0.2.8 & 10.1.0.8||10.0.2 - 10.1||3 Feb 2015||
|10.1.0.7||10.1||12 Jan 2015||Updated database function calls for TNG v10.1 compatibility.|
|10.0.2.7||10.0.2-10.0.3||10 Jan 2015||Moves the printer-configuration form to the "Pretty-Print" page so that users can view charts without having to fuss with the printer configuration settings.|
|10.0.2.6||10.0.2||12 Aug 2014||First production release|
Sites using this mod
If you download and install this mod, please add your site to the table below.
|Robin Richmond's Genealogy Database||Robin Richmond||Mod developer||10.1.0.12||11.0.1||English|
|Mitchell Families Online||Roger Mitchell||Another great tool for visitors, very well implemented!||10.1.0.8||10.1.0||English|
|Turner mob||Margaret Grogan Turner||Another great tool for visitors, thanks!||10.0.2.6||10.0.3||English|
|Hooley Family Links||Rick Hooley||Public Site||10.1.0.10a||10.1.1||EN|
|Wortelboer Genealogy||Bernard Wortelboer||Public site||10.1.0.10b||11.0.0||NL, EN|
|Solem||Jan-Thore Solem||Not public||10.1.0.7||10.1.0||Norwegian|
|Moss family tree||Chris Moss||Best text-based display. Public.||10.1.0.12a||11.1.2||EN, DE, FR|
|Brady Family Tree in Western Australia||Darryl Brady||Public site||10.1.0.12||11.0.1||EN, DE|
|Roots & Relatives Remembered||Ron Krzmarzick||Public & Private||10.1.0.13b w/minor tab chgs||11.1.2||EN,DE,CS,ES|
|Our Family Links||Chuck Filteau||Public site, modified Template 12||10.1.0.12||v10.1.2||EN|