|Summary||Two new charts: Text+ Descendant Chart, and Text+ Ancestor Chart.|
|Mod Updated||28 Oct 2018|
French, Dutch, German, Norwegian: languages_v188.8.131.52a &
See the Revision History to download older versions
|Author(s)||Robin Richmond with translations by Ken Roy, Henny Savenije, Hendrik Martius, Bernard Wortelboer, & Jan-Thore Solem, and testing help from Henny Savenije and Alan Wilcox|
|Homepage||TextPlus Charts (This Page)|
|Mod Support||My Mod Support form or TNG Community Forums|
|Contact Developer||My Mod Support form|
|Min TNG V||12.0|
|Max TNG V||184.108.40.206+|
Descendant charts (descend.php, descendtext.php, desctracker.php, register.php),
Pedigree charts (pedigree.php, pedigreetext.php, verticalchart.php, ahnentafel.php, extrastree.php),
cust_text.php (English, Dutch, French, German, Norwegian),
Installs: rrtextplus_descend.php, rrtextplus_ancestor.php, rrtextpluslib.php, rrtextplus_innermenuedit.php, English textplus_help.php, English, Dutch, French, German, and Norwegian cust_text.php, German-UTF8/textplus_help.php, Several images in languages/English.
Some language strings have not yet been translated. See #Language_Strings
Purpose of the Mod
To define two new charts - Text+ Ancestor Chart, and Text+ Descendant Chart. Both charts follow a text format (basically an outline layout), and are accessed through the TNG "Inner Menu" (the link menu just below the TNG Tab Bar) on the Person Profile and on Pedigree and Descendant chart pages. The modified list of links in the Descendant Inner menu looks link this:
Standard | Compact | Text | Text+ | Register | PDF
Features of the Text+ Charts
- The Text+ Descendant Chart is very similar to TNG's Text Descendant Chart, but has several additional features.
- The Text+ Pedigree Chart serves the same purpose as TNG's Text Ancestor Chart, but does not use the standard 4-generations-per-page Pedigree format. It can display at least 15 or so generations in one chart that is one page wide and several pages long. It also has some of the same 'additional features' as the Text plus Descendant Chart.
This mod adds option values to two TNG administrative chart settings:
- The Text+ Ancestor Chart can be set as the default "Pedigree" chart. To do so:
- Open the "Pedigree Chart" section of the form at Admin>>Settings>>Chart Settings form.
- Select "Text+" in the "Initial Display" drop-down box.
- The Text+ Descendant Chart can be set as the default Descendant chart. To do so:
- Open the"Descendant Chart" section of the form at Admin>>Settings>>Chart Settings.
- Select "Text+" in the "Initial Display" drop-down box.
- Print Formatting - Text+ charts cannot depend on the web browser to wrap long lines at the right margin. (To learn why, see Margins and Line-Wrapping below.) As a result, both Text+ chart programs depend on run-time parameters to control the width of the Text+ charts. Each of these controls have initial defaults, and the values that are used when printing a chart can be saved to be used as the default for subsequent charts.
- Content Controls - The content of Text+ charts can be adjusted at run-time with options such as
- Generations numbers & sibling numbers;
- Adding siblings to an Ancestor chart,
- Using a more compact chart format, and
- Highlighting the names in a chosen generation.
Compatibility With Other Mods
No known conflicts with published mods. However, there is a conflict with older versions of an Add New Items mod that was written by Ian Fettes.
This mod coordinates with Count Descendants v9+ in two distinct ways.
- The Descendant Inner menu links:
- The Text+ Descendancy Chart program installed by this mod contains a link to the Count Descendants chart. But the "Count" link is displayed only if Count Descendants is installed.
- Similarly, the Count Descendants Chart installed by Count Descendants contains a link to the The Text+ Descendancy Chart, and that "Text+" link is displayed only if this mod ([[[TextPlus Charts]]) is installed.
- The Admin >> Setup >> Chart Settings form
- Both mods add
- (1) An option to the "Initial Display" selection box in the "Descendancy Chart" section of the Chart Settings form, and
- (2) A help link next to that selection box
- The two mods coordinate over that help link in two ways:
- Both mods add text to the Chart Setting help file describing the choice(s) they add to the Chart Settings form.
- The two help file links to the help text necessarily use different anchors in the Chart Settings help file, and that only one of the two help file links get created. However, since both new blocks of text are small, and at the bottom of the help file, the text created by both mods should be visible no matter which link has been created and followed by a user.
- The Inner Menu of the Text+ Ancestor chart has a link ('Map') to the Ancestor Map. That link is visible only if the program installed by Ancestor Map (mappedigree.php) exists.
- As TextPlus Charts is installed, it modifies mappedigree.php (if it exists) to add a "Text+" link to the Inner Menu of mappedigree.php. But if Ancestor Map is installed after TextPlus Charts,
- mappedigree.php will not have the "Text+" link in its Inner Menu, and
- TextPlus Charts will be marked as "Partially Installed" because it expects mappedigree.php to have that "Text+" link. (Thus, Ancestor Map must be uninstalled before TextPlus Charts can be uninstalled.)
There are a couple of straightforward fixes to the mixup between Ancestor Map and TextPlus Charts. One should be implemented soon.
- The Inner Menu of the Text+ Ancestor chart has a link to the Parent Lines chart installed by Male Female and Parent Lines. That link is visible only if the chart program (lines.php) installed by Male Female and Parent Lines exists.
- TextPlus Charts does not modify lines.php. As a result:
Show Mod Names
Like almost all of my mods, the code installed by TextPlus Charts collects information that can be used by Show Mod Names, but only if Show Mod Names is installed. TextPlus Charts is not dependent on Show Mod Names.
This mod has a subfolder. Make sure that you copy the subfolder to the mods folder along with the .cfg file. There is also a separate .cfg file for language translations. It must be downloaded and installed separately. [Show Installation Details]
- A working TNG installation.
- An installed current version of the Mod Manager.
- You should backup files listed in the panel on the right.
- Remove and delete previous version of this mod.
- Backup the files updated by this mod. They are listed in the panel at the upper right.
- Download the .zip file, Extract its .cfg file to the mods folder.
- Follow the normal automated installation for Mod Manager, as shown in the example Mod Manager - Installing Config Files.
The screen clips displayed here are not fully annotated. A much more thorough explanation of the Text+ charts can be found in the Text+ Charts help file on the mod author's TNG site
|1. Text+ Descendant Chart - In the main window (as opposed to the "Format for Printing" window)|
|2. Text+ Descendant Chart in the Format for Printing window.
|3. Text+ Ancestor Chart in the main window.|
| 4. Full Text+ Chart Examples saved as PDFs
(Note: In the Ancestor Chart PDFs, some of the vertical lines are colored. I have no idea why. They are black in the web browser.)
|5. Text+ Pedigree Setup in the Admin >> Setup >> Chart Settings Form|
|This mod adds a "Text+" option to the "Initial Display" selection for Pedigree Chart and for Descendant chart. This allows you to set up the Text+ charts as your default Pedigree and/or Descendant charts.|
There are numerous language strings, and Dutch, French, Germand, and Norwegian translations. However, in the initial release of v220.127.116.11 of this mod, not all of the strings have been translated into each language. As translations come in, I will update the language .cfg files, and add a suffix to the .cfg file version number.
Margins and Line-Wrapping
Because the Text+ charts draw vertical lines connecting the generations, these charts cannot simply allow long lines of data to wrap at the browser window's (or printed page's) right margin. The Text+ chart programs have to know the window (or printed page's) width and the font size so that they can wrap lines of data at the appropriate point.
As a result, the Text+ chart programs contain a form that specifies printing options. Some parameters are visible in the 'main' program window. Other parameters that deal with font size and page width are visible only in the 'Format for Printing' window. Those parameters are described in detail in the Text+ chart help page.
It is significant to note that the algorithm used by Text+ programs is not perfect, so one of the print-formatting options is a fudge factor that adjusts the page width when the algorithm misses its mark. As a result, to print a report cleanly can take a few cycles of looking at print previews in the web browser, and adjusting the fudge factor to assure that lines are
The Text+ charts use the following techniques to reduce the amount of text required to display a person's data end place information, and thus to reduce the amount of line-wrapping required to print a chart:
Inner Menu Utility
If you install the TextPlus Charts mod and other mods that place links on the Ancestors or Descendants Inner Menus, those Inner Menus can become awkwardly long. This mod installs utility program that eliminates the native Descendant and/or Ancestor Text chart in selected chart programs. The utility is available through a link in the mod description in Mod Manager. Be aware, however, that, with TNGv11, the native Text Descendant chart has a new ancestor-tracking feature that is not found in the Text+ Descendant chart. Specifically, the native Text Ancestor chart now displays the child number of each ancestor. (That is, it could indicate that the current person is the first child of the 3rd child of the 2nd child, etc.)
Sites using this mod
If you download and install this mod, please add your site to the table below.